Re: XP problem

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Unk, Jul 2, 2003.

  1. Unk

    Unk Guest

    Double-Click "My Computer", double-click the "Local Disk (C:)
    Click "Tools", "Folder Options", click the "View" tab, under "Files and
    Folders", check everything except "Do not cache thumbnails"

    Under "Hidden files and Folders", check "Show hidden files and folders"
    Uncheck "Hide extensions....", and "Hide protected......"
    check the box, "Remember each folder's view setting", click "Apply", "OK"
    Now go here to fix specific search problems:
    http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_search_probs.htm

    Unk

    Unk, Jul 2, 2003

  2. Thx for this. So far it doesn't look like this is going to be as
    simple to fix as I'd hoped, but this looks to be the right track.
    Thx for the help.

    JC, appreciative

    Jagdeep Cruellruby, Jul 4, 2003

  3. Unk

    Unk Guest

    You're welcome.

    Unk, Jul 4, 2003
  4. Back again. I'm in over my head and can't seem to fix this prob.
    First I should point out that many of the search companion problems
    are defined by particular error msgs, but I don't get any error
    msgs. I cannot use Search Companion for *anything* (not for a www
    search nor for an internal computer search), but I don't get any
    error msgs.

    I have tried the MS fixes links on the page you (Unk) directed me
    to, but none of them work. The MS fixes won't download cause they
    say I already have the latest XP svc pack. I tried the 'work around'
    to reinstall my orig files but for some reason when I'm prompted to
    insert my orig XP disk, it continues to say it can't find files, and
    asks me for my svc pack disk (which I don't have). I try to point it
    to the files on the orig disk, but it says it can't find the ones it
    needs (I've looked for them on the disk myself and can't see them).

    I've had XP for nearly a year and never had any problems with this
    until the past couple of months. Also, I have Yahoo task bar on top
    beneathe my regular tool bar, and do quick internet searches that
    way. Have had it for months too, no problem. When I started having
    problems with MS Search Companion, I uninstalled Yahoo, to see if
    that would help. Since it didn't fix my problem, I re-installed the
    Yahoo search bar - but immed it stopped functioning as a quick
    internet search tool too. So some file they both use is corrupt. But
    how do I fix it?

    Would problems get any worse if I simply re-installed XP? Is that a
    good idea?

    JC

    Jagdeep Cruellruby, Jul 8, 2003