Re: XP Pro (Full) , X64 (Full) and Windows Server 2003 R2 TRIAL - which is latest ntldr ?

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by - Bobb -, Dec 12, 2005.

  1. - Bobb -

    - Bobb - Guest

    "- Bobb -" <> wrote in message news:...
    > I currently have a pc with X64 on it . ( Path = c:\Xp64)
    > I would like to install XP Pro as well as the Trial version of Server 2003. Can I leave the x64 install alone ?
    > I could use some help with this:
    > I copy/save the current Ntldr and Ntdetect.com and boot.ini file and store them in a safe place.
    > Then I add a second drive with 2 partitions - D and E.
    > I install XP Pro to D:\XP , and Server Trial to E:\Srvr2003
    > Order of installs Ok ?
    >
    > If so - in 180 days the srvr license will expire. Since it was the last one to be installed, will it then mess up the process to
    > boot the others. Or just a matter of editing boot.ini on C to no longer include E:\Srvr2003 and I erase the partition ?
    >
    > I tried lots of keywords: " install order x64 and XP Professional ntldr ", but I couldn't find a KB article.
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;895556
    > when you perform an installation of an operating system that includes later versions of the Ntldr and Ntdetect.com files, Setup
    > replaces those files on the hard disk. However, if the versions of the Ntldr and Ntdetect.com files of the operating system that

    is
    > being installed are earlier than the versions that currently are on the hard disk, the files on the hard disk are not overwritten

    by

    - Bobb -, Dec 12, 2005

  2. XP SP2 and XP Pro x64 ntldr are compatible.
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Dec 12, 2005

  3. - Bobb -

    - Bobb - Guest

    about server2003 install. Order of OS install ?
    > I install XP Pro to D:\XP , and Server Trial to E:\Srvr2003
    > Order of installs Ok ?

    Can I leave x64 as-is on C and still use it after server2003 trial install expires ?

    Bobb

    - Bobb -, Dec 13, 2005
  4. yes

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Dec 13, 2005
  5. - Bobb -

    John Barnes Guest

    After you do the other installs, you will have to put back the ntldr and
    ntdetect.com from the x64 install, from where you saved them (I assume you
    are not going to change boot order doing this, so they are returned from
    where you got them). Then I would go to recovery console on the x64 cd and
    when you get to the command prompt, I would use the command bootcfg
    /rebuild. You will then rebuild a boot.ini file with all visible Windows
    systems on it properly enunciated.

    John Barnes, Dec 13, 2005
  6. - Bobb -

    - Bobb - Guest

    I installed XPPro to the D drive in the X64 system today.
    After a few boots to complete the install, I tried X64 -- boot problem.
    I copied back the X64 ntldr,ntloader to C and it then booted both OSes OK.

    one thing - I keep getting Unknown device on ... SOMETHING !
    Did all the MS updates - went to ASUS, Nvidia , got latest drivers ( a few were updated last month). No matter what I tried = wrong
    driver. Everything that I use works fine. When it's just called "UNKNOWN Device", how to figure out what it wants ? I don't know if
    Audio, network, Video, etc. Any tips for that ? (Event log no help)

    Bobb

    - Bobb -, Dec 14, 2005
  7. - Bobb -

    - Bobb - Guest

    Thanks John,
    I just updated previous message (this wasn't visible to me until I closed my reply)

    bobb

    - Bobb -, Dec 14, 2005
  8. It may be an ACPI device. There is a technique for using a Windows 2000
    driver by redecorating the inf file. The source is on PlanetAMD64. I went
    through that six months ago. Once resolved the device shows up under the
    System Devices in the Device Manager. The exact device should be "ATK0110
    ACPI UTILITY." If you do not see that device name in list of 20 or so
    System Devices then it is what you are looking for.

    Colin Barnhorst, Dec 14, 2005
  9. - Bobb -

    - Bobb - Guest

    Re: XP Pro and X64 install is now done on primary drive -

    Colin,

    you were exactly right it was the ACPI device. Excellent - thank you.

    Now that the install of the OS,SP2 etc is complete, I want to clean up as much of the install "leftovers" as I can. I purged temp
    files, deleted the $NTUninstalls etc . I still have these on my Pro partition:

    $hf_mig$ = 132mb shows the KB numbers
    E:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download =771mb
    E:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386 = 501mb

    Ok to empty these folders ( I'll leave the folders in case they're needed) or should I leave as-is ?

    E:\WINDOWS\Prefetch ?? << What's this ?

    Then I'll do a defrag and image the partiton for backup.

    Bobb

    - Bobb -, Dec 14, 2005
  10. Re: XP Pro and X64 install is now done on primary drive -

    You're welcome.

    Colin Barnhorst, Dec 14, 2005