Re: XP password question.

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by martin, Jun 2, 2004.

  1. martin

    martin Guest

    This is a simple task.
    Go to this link and get the free program, and create the boot disk. The are
    image files for either floppy of CD boot disks. You can then reset the
    password in about 30 seconds. :)

    If the system has encrypted files (efs), you'll need the original password,
    and have to use a program like saminside or LC4 (lophtcrack) to get the
    actual password from the sam file. This may take some time
    It's all very simple to do on XP, and any tech should know how to do this
    because people forget their passwords and get locked out all the time.

    "SBFan2000" <> wrote in message
    > I took in a computer from a doctor I work with that was not booting. The
    > CPU was lose and I fixed that but now he wants to to add/remove some files
    > and programs. When I asked the XP password he said that he had the

    computer

    martin, Jun 2, 2004

  2. martin

    AG Guest

    "SchroedingerzKat" <> wrote in message
    > >This is a simple task.
    > >Go to this link and get the free program, and create the boot disk. The

    are
    > >image files for either floppy of CD boot disks. You can then reset the
    > >password in about 30 seconds. :)
    > >http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/
    > >
    > >If the system has encrypted files (efs), you'll need the original

    password,
    > >and have to use a program like saminside or LC4 (lophtcrack) to get the
    > >actual password from the sam file. This may take some time
    > >It's all very simple to do on XP, and any tech should know how to do this
    > >because people forget their passwords and get locked out all the time.

    > You can use PWDump to extract the password hashes after booting up with a

    boot
    > disk. Or use an exploit (on an unpatched system) to jump from guest to

    admin,
    > then grab the hashes. You can also use a unix boot disk or the password

    reset
    > boot disk mentioned by the poster above.
    >
    > L0phtcrack will certainly work, but the trial version only cracks

    dictionary
    > and maybe hybrid stuff. For brute force you need the full $350 version.
    >
    > If the filesystem is encrypted on unix, you are generally screwed. Don't

    know
    > about EFS.
    >
    > Michael

    Actually Unix that boots with Lilo is REALLY easy if you have physical
    access. You just boot to single user mode and change the password. I used
    to have to leave one of our servers in SU mode because someone had hacked
    it. He was in jail the last time I checked.
    AG
    AG
    AG, Jun 4, 2004