Re: XP not closing

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Squiggle, Jan 15, 2011.

  1. Squiggle

    Squiggle Guest

    On 15/01/2011 11:00 p.m., B Roberts threw some characters down the
    intarwebs:
    > I have noticed that when I turn off my computor
    > it sometimes keeps running and I have to turn
    > it off at the wall.
    > Can someone suggest a cure for this?
    > I am running XP.
    >
    > Help would be appreciated.
    >
    > Cheers

    It sounds like a program or service isn't shutting down cleanly.

    1) think back to when you first noticed it, what had changed.. any new
    software/hardware or driver upgrades immediately preceding it?
    2) check that your windows updates are current, there might already be a
    fix for whatever is causing it to hang.
    3) The Biker's suggestion of running a malware scan isn't a bad one.
    plenty of anti-malware software out there to choose from.
    4) Update all your drivers to the latest stable version if you haven't
    done so recently.

    --
    The nz.general stupidest statement of 2011 competition leading candidate:
    The USA is no more democratic than is the Peoples Democratic Republic of
    Squiggle, Jan 15, 2011

  2. Squiggle

    Ted Guest

    On Sun, 16 Jan 2011 11:19:34 +1300, Squiggle <>
    wrote:

    >On 15/01/2011 11:00 p.m., B Roberts threw some characters down the
    >intarwebs:
    >> I have noticed that when I turn off my computor
    >> it sometimes keeps running and I have to turn
    >> it off at the wall.
    >> Can someone suggest a cure for this?
    >> I am running XP.
    >>
    >> Help would be appreciated.
    >>
    >> Cheers
    >>

    >It sounds like a program or service isn't shutting down cleanly.

    Could well be that. As well as the suggestions below, try holding
    down ctrl-alt-del which should bring up the Windows task manager. Look
    for a task name that shouldn't be there - eg firefoxe.exe when you
    know you've already shut down firefox. Then kill the task
    (right-click on it and choose Kill Process Tree). Then try shutting
    down again ("Shut Down" from the task manager main menu)

    I find that Microsoft Document Explorer often hangs around as
    dexplore.exe after it has supposedly been shut down.

    Ted, Jan 15, 2011

  3. Squiggle

    Squiggle Guest

    On 16/01/2011 11:53 a.m., Ted threw some characters down the intarwebs:
    > On Sun, 16 Jan 2011 11:19:34 +1300, Squiggle <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> On 15/01/2011 11:00 p.m., B Roberts threw some characters down the
    >> intarwebs:
    >>> I have noticed that when I turn off my computor
    >>> it sometimes keeps running and I have to turn
    >>> it off at the wall.
    >>> Can someone suggest a cure for this?
    >>> I am running XP.
    >>>
    >>> Help would be appreciated.
    >>>
    >>> Cheers
    >>>

    >> It sounds like a program or service isn't shutting down cleanly.

    > Could well be that. As well as the suggestions below, try holding
    > down ctrl-alt-del which should bring up the Windows task manager.

    Ctrl-shift-esc is the more direct way to bring that up.
    Squiggle, Jan 15, 2011