Re: XP "Mail this file" question

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Craig Shore, Aug 3, 2009.

  1. Craig Shore

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Fri, 31 Jul 2009 17:18:05 +1200, Donchano
    <> wrote:

    >(I asked this question in alt.windows-xp a few days ago, but nobody
    >has responded and the group seems almost dormant. I also googled it
    >without results. So if there's another XP newsgroup anyone can
    >recommend I'd be grateful.)
    >
    >OS: XP home Service Pack 3
    >
    >Daughter and son-in-law's computer (I use XPpro).
    >
    >In "My Pictures" they've been using the "Mail this file" option to
    >optimise & attach image files to emails and it's been working fine
    >until this week.
    >
    >What used to happen in "My Pictures is that they'd highlight the
    >photos they wanted to email and click on "Mail this file" in the menu
    >on the left of the main panel.
    >
    >That would open a small confirmation window and once they clicked
    >"OK," that window would close and another window would open showing
    >the progress.
    >
    >Once the process was finished that window would close and their email
    >client (Thunderbird) would open with a new message with the optimised
    >files attached.
    >
    >All they'd have to do is pick the recipient, write a brief message (if
    >required) and hit the "Send" button.
    >
    >Since this week, however, the following occurs:
    >
    >1. Instead of only the dialog window opening, both the dialog and
    >progress windows open simultaneously two open.
    >
    >2. If they do nothing, nothing happens and the green bar on the
    >progress window just keeps moving and Thunderbird doesn't open.
    >
    >3. If they click "OK" on the dialog window, the progress window closes
    >and Thunderbird still doesn't open.
    >
    >I've installed Irfanview on their computer and shown them how to batch
    >process photos. But, the Windows "Mail this file" option is still
    >easier for them and I'm wondering if there's an simple fix to get this
    >function back up and running for them (like repairing/reinstalling
    >XP).


    It's Thunderbird that has broken this working with update 2.0.0.22.
    because it lost a path to mozilla's ddls in registry.

    The fix from
    http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?p=6769045 6/28/09
    is


    You should check \HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail\Mozilla
    Thunderbird in your registry.
    If key DDLPath is empty, just write down there location of your
    mozmapi32.dll (most probably C:\Program Files\Mozilla
    Thunderbird\mozmapi32.dll).
     
    Craig Shore, Aug 3, 2009
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Craig Shore

    grum Guest

    Craig Shore wrote:
    >
    > It's Thunderbird that has broken this working with update 2.0.0.22.
    > because it lost a path to mozilla's ddls in registry.
    >
    > The fix from
    > http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?p=6769045 6/28/09
    > is
    >
    >
    > You should check \HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail\Mozilla
    > Thunderbird in your registry.
    > If key DDLPath is empty, just write down there location of your
    > mozmapi32.dll (most probably C:\Program Files\Mozilla
    > Thunderbird\mozmapi32.dll).
    >
    >

    Brilliant!
    Who says the Internet is full of useless information...?
    Thanks
    grum
     
    grum, Aug 4, 2009
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. In message <>, Donchano wrote:

    > I applied the fix along with moving "My Pictures" from
    > their "D" partition back to their "C" partition under "My Documents."
    >
    > Why they moved it is unclear ... but probably because I set up their
    > "D" partition as storage for their image data and, at some point, they
    > decided to move "My Pictures" so it could be with the other data.
    >
    > So now the "Mail this file" function is back up and working again.


    Is there something inherently unsafe about moving "My Pictures" to another
    volume?
     
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Aug 6, 2009
    #3
  4. In message <>, Donchano wrote:

    > On Thu, 06 Aug 2009 17:21:38 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    > <_zealand> shouted from the highest rooftop:
    >
    >>Is there something inherently unsafe about moving "My Pictures" to another
    >>volume?

    >
    > Don't know, but I wouldn't be surprised.


    And what's more, you can never be sure.
     
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Aug 6, 2009
    #4
  5. Craig Shore

    Cima Guest

    On Sat, 08 Aug 2009 18:01:48 +1200, Donchano <>
    wrote:

    >On Sat, 08 Aug 2009 17:46:46 +1200, Cima <> shouted from the
    >highest rooftop:
    >
    >>On Thu, 06 Aug 2009 20:20:49 +1200, Donchano <>
    >>wrote:
    >>
    >>>On Thu, 06 Aug 2009 19:17:50 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    >>><_zealand> shouted from the highest rooftop:
    >>>
    >>>>In message <>, Donchano wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>> On Thu, 06 Aug 2009 17:21:38 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    >>>>> <_zealand> shouted from the highest rooftop:
    >>>>>
    >>>>>>Is there something inherently unsafe about moving "My Pictures" to another
    >>>>>>volume?
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Don't know, but I wouldn't be surprised.
    >>>>
    >>>>And what's more, you can never be sure.
    >>>
    >>>That's life in Windowsland ...

    >>
    >>There's no problem. Mine is on my E: drive.

    >
    >I'm assuming that means that you have no problem with "Mail this file"
    >in "My Pictures" on your E drive using WinXPhome.
    >
    >Which is great!


    The last Thunderbird update broke it, but the mozmapi32.dll fix got it working
    again. Aside from that, no probs.

    >But the very last procedure I tried with the kid's computer was
    >transferring "My Pictures" from 'D' to 'C' and that's when they could
    >finally use "Mail this file" again.
    >
     
    Cima, Aug 8, 2009
    #5
  6. In article <>, Donchano <> wrote:
    >On Thu, 06 Aug 2009 17:21:38 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    ><_zealand> shouted from the highest rooftop:
    >>In message <>, Donchano wrote:
    >>> I applied the fix along with moving "My Pictures" from
    >>> their "D" partition back to their "C" partition under "My Documents."
    >>>
    >>> Why they moved it is unclear ... but probably because I set up their
    >>> "D" partition as storage for their image data and, at some point, they
    >>> decided to move "My Pictures" so it could be with the other data.
    >>>
    >>> So now the "Mail this file" function is back up and working again.

    >>
    >>Is there something inherently unsafe about moving "My Pictures" to another
    >>volume?

    >
    >Don't know, but I wouldn't be surprised. The possibility certainly
    >occupied my thoughts for a while during one of those 3am "wakeful
    >patches" I have.


    I think I deleted that directory a year or so back as I never use it. It
    kept coming back, so now, I just ignore it. Still annoying though. :)

    Good to hear the fix was simple ... if non intuitive.
     
    Bruce Sinclair, Aug 10, 2009
    #6
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Wayne
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    723
    Wayne
    Mar 2, 2004
  2. eddiec
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    953
    Zenner
    May 20, 2004
  3. c.reifert

    Actually, a wav question instead of mp3 question

    c.reifert, Dec 3, 2004, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    11
    Views:
    876
    ┬░Mike┬░
    Dec 3, 2004
  4. ~misfit~

    Re: XP "Mail this file" question

    ~misfit~, Aug 1, 2009, in forum: NZ Computing
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    278
    ~misfit~
    Aug 2, 2009
  5. Bruce Sinclair

    Re: XP "Mail this file" question

    Bruce Sinclair, Aug 3, 2009, in forum: NZ Computing
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    338
    Bruce Sinclair
    Aug 4, 2009
Loading...

Share This Page