Re: XP "Mail this file" question

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Bruce Sinclair, Aug 3, 2009.

  1. In article <>, Donchano <> wrote:
    >(I asked this question in alt.windows-xp a few days ago, but nobody
    >has responded and the group seems almost dormant. I also googled it
    >without results. So if there's another XP newsgroup anyone can
    >recommend I'd be grateful.)
    >
    >OS: XP home Service Pack 3
    >
    >Daughter and son-in-law's computer (I use XPpro).
    >
    >In "My Pictures" they've been using the "Mail this file" option to
    >optimise & attach image files to emails and it's been working fine
    >until this week.
    >
    >What used to happen in "My Pictures is that they'd highlight the
    >photos they wanted to email and click on "Mail this file" in the menu
    >on the left of the main panel.
    >
    >That would open a small confirmation window and once they clicked
    >"OK," that window would close and another window would open showing
    >the progress.
    >
    >Once the process was finished that window would close and their email
    >client (Thunderbird) would open with a new message with the optimised
    >files attached.
    >
    >All they'd have to do is pick the recipient, write a brief message (if
    >required) and hit the "Send" button.
    >
    >Since this week, however, the following occurs:
    >
    >1. Instead of only the dialog window opening, both the dialog and
    >progress windows open simultaneously two open.
    >
    >2. If they do nothing, nothing happens and the green bar on the
    >progress window just keeps moving and Thunderbird doesn't open.
    >
    >3. If they click "OK" on the dialog window, the progress window closes
    >and Thunderbird still doesn't open.
    >
    >I've installed Irfanview on their computer and shown them how to batch
    >process photos. But, the Windows "Mail this file" option is still
    >easier for them and I'm wondering if there's an simple fix to get this
    >function back up and running for them (like repairing/reinstalling
    >XP).


    How hard is ...
    1) opening mail
    2) opening the directory where their pictures are
    3) dragging the piccies they want to send into the email
    ?

    Suggest that if they can't handle that, there's no hope :)
    Bruce Sinclair, Aug 3, 2009
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Bruce Sinclair

    Cima Guest

    On Sun, 02 Aug 2009 23:22:41 GMT,
    z (Bruce Sinclair) wrote:

    >In article <>, Donchano <> wrote:
    >>(I asked this question in alt.windows-xp a few days ago, but nobody
    >>has responded and the group seems almost dormant. I also googled it
    >>without results. So if there's another XP newsgroup anyone can
    >>recommend I'd be grateful.)
    >>
    >>OS: XP home Service Pack 3
    >>
    >>Daughter and son-in-law's computer (I use XPpro).
    >>
    >>In "My Pictures" they've been using the "Mail this file" option to
    >>optimise & attach image files to emails and it's been working fine
    >>until this week.
    >>
    >>What used to happen in "My Pictures is that they'd highlight the
    >>photos they wanted to email and click on "Mail this file" in the menu
    >>on the left of the main panel.
    >>
    >>That would open a small confirmation window and once they clicked
    >>"OK," that window would close and another window would open showing
    >>the progress.
    >>
    >>Once the process was finished that window would close and their email
    >>client (Thunderbird) would open with a new message with the optimised
    >>files attached.
    >>
    >>All they'd have to do is pick the recipient, write a brief message (if
    >>required) and hit the "Send" button.
    >>
    >>Since this week, however, the following occurs:
    >>
    >>1. Instead of only the dialog window opening, both the dialog and
    >>progress windows open simultaneously two open.
    >>
    >>2. If they do nothing, nothing happens and the green bar on the
    >>progress window just keeps moving and Thunderbird doesn't open.
    >>
    >>3. If they click "OK" on the dialog window, the progress window closes
    >>and Thunderbird still doesn't open.
    >>
    >>I've installed Irfanview on their computer and shown them how to batch
    >>process photos. But, the Windows "Mail this file" option is still
    >>easier for them and I'm wondering if there's an simple fix to get this
    >>function back up and running for them (like repairing/reinstalling
    >>XP).

    >
    >How hard is ...
    >1) opening mail
    >2) opening the directory where their pictures are
    >3) dragging the piccies they want to send into the email
    >?
    >
    >Suggest that if they can't handle that, there's no hope :)



    That's how n00bs end up sending out 5MB photos!
    Cima, Aug 3, 2009
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Bruce Sinclair

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Cima wrote:
    > On Sun, 02 Aug 2009 23:22:41 GMT,
    > z (Bruce Sinclair)
    > wrote:
    >
    >> In article <>, Donchano
    >> <> wrote:
    >>> (I asked this question in alt.windows-xp a few days ago, but nobody
    >>> has responded and the group seems almost dormant. I also googled it
    >>> without results. So if there's another XP newsgroup anyone can
    >>> recommend I'd be grateful.)
    >>>
    >>> OS: XP home Service Pack 3
    >>>
    >>> Daughter and son-in-law's computer (I use XPpro).
    >>>
    >>> In "My Pictures" they've been using the "Mail this file" option to
    >>> optimise & attach image files to emails and it's been working fine
    >>> until this week.
    >>>
    >>> What used to happen in "My Pictures is that they'd highlight the
    >>> photos they wanted to email and click on "Mail this file" in the
    >>> menu on the left of the main panel.
    >>>
    >>> That would open a small confirmation window and once they clicked
    >>> "OK," that window would close and another window would open showing
    >>> the progress.
    >>>
    >>> Once the process was finished that window would close and their
    >>> email client (Thunderbird) would open with a new message with the
    >>> optimised files attached.
    >>>
    >>> All they'd have to do is pick the recipient, write a brief message
    >>> (if required) and hit the "Send" button.
    >>>
    >>> Since this week, however, the following occurs:
    >>>
    >>> 1. Instead of only the dialog window opening, both the dialog and
    >>> progress windows open simultaneously two open.
    >>>
    >>> 2. If they do nothing, nothing happens and the green bar on the
    >>> progress window just keeps moving and Thunderbird doesn't open.
    >>>
    >>> 3. If they click "OK" on the dialog window, the progress window
    >>> closes and Thunderbird still doesn't open.
    >>>
    >>> I've installed Irfanview on their computer and shown them how to
    >>> batch process photos. But, the Windows "Mail this file" option is
    >>> still easier for them and I'm wondering if there's an simple fix to
    >>> get this function back up and running for them (like
    >>> repairing/reinstalling XP).

    >>
    >> How hard is ...
    >> 1) opening mail
    >> 2) opening the directory where their pictures are
    >> 3) dragging the piccies they want to send into the email
    >> ?
    >>
    >> Suggest that if they can't handle that, there's no hope :)

    >
    >
    > That's how n00bs end up sending out 5MB photos!


    LOL! Exactly. I've had a few like that.
    --
    Shaun.

    "Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's
    warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchet, 'Jingo'.
    ~misfit~, Aug 3, 2009
    #3
  4. Bruce Sinclair

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <4a762dd0$0$1056$4all.se>,
    z says...
    > In article <>, Donchano <> wrote:
    > >(I asked this question in alt.windows-xp a few days ago, but nobody
    > >has responded and the group seems almost dormant. I also googled it
    > >without results. So if there's another XP newsgroup anyone can
    > >recommend I'd be grateful.)
    > >
    > >OS: XP home Service Pack 3
    > >
    > >Daughter and son-in-law's computer (I use XPpro).
    > >
    > >In "My Pictures" they've been using the "Mail this file" option to
    > >optimise & attach image files to emails and it's been working fine
    > >until this week.
    > >
    > >What used to happen in "My Pictures is that they'd highlight the
    > >photos they wanted to email and click on "Mail this file" in the menu
    > >on the left of the main panel.
    > >
    > >That would open a small confirmation window and once they clicked
    > >"OK," that window would close and another window would open showing
    > >the progress.
    > >
    > >Once the process was finished that window would close and their email
    > >client (Thunderbird) would open with a new message with the optimised
    > >files attached.
    > >
    > >All they'd have to do is pick the recipient, write a brief message (if
    > >required) and hit the "Send" button.
    > >
    > >Since this week, however, the following occurs:
    > >
    > >1. Instead of only the dialog window opening, both the dialog and
    > >progress windows open simultaneously two open.
    > >
    > >2. If they do nothing, nothing happens and the green bar on the
    > >progress window just keeps moving and Thunderbird doesn't open.
    > >
    > >3. If they click "OK" on the dialog window, the progress window closes
    > >and Thunderbird still doesn't open.
    > >
    > >I've installed Irfanview on their computer and shown them how to batch
    > >process photos. But, the Windows "Mail this file" option is still
    > >easier for them and I'm wondering if there's an simple fix to get this
    > >function back up and running for them (like repairing/reinstalling
    > >XP).

    >
    > How hard is ...
    > 1) opening mail
    > 2) opening the directory where their pictures are
    > 3) dragging the piccies they want to send into the email
    > ?
    >
    > Suggest that if they can't handle that, there's no hope :)


    That's so easy.

    It's just that sending - and receiving - 35Mb image files, is a bit of a
    PITA.

    --
    Duncan
    Dave Doe, Aug 3, 2009
    #4
  5. In article <>, Donchano <> wrote:
    >On Sun, 02 Aug 2009 23:22:41 GMT,
    > (Bruce Sinclair)
    >shouted from the highest rooftop:
    >
    >>How hard is ...
    >>1) opening mail
    >>2) opening the directory where their pictures are
    >>3) dragging the piccies they want to send into the email
    >>?
    >>
    >>Suggest that if they can't handle that, there's no hope :)

    >
    >That's fine if you want to "insert" the photos into your mail and they
    >are already optimised.
    >
    >But if you read my original question again you'll see that they want
    >to optimise the photos and "attach" them to a Thunderbird mail message
    >- which is what "Mail this file" should let them do, automatically.


    Um ... my apologies for my failure at initial reading ... but now I really
    don't understand. "optimise" for what ? :)
    Bruce Sinclair, Aug 4, 2009
    #5
  6. In article <>, Cima <> wrote:
    (snip)
    >>
    >>How hard is ...
    >>1) opening mail
    >>2) opening the directory where their pictures are
    >>3) dragging the piccies they want to send into the email
    >>?
    >>
    >>Suggest that if they can't handle that, there's no hope :)


    >That's how n00bs end up sending out 5MB photos!


    Yep ... but that's called a 'learning experience' ... or it is when the
    recipients tell them not to do it again. :)
    Bruce Sinclair, Aug 4, 2009
    #6
  7. In article <>, Donchano <> wrote:
    >On Mon, 03 Aug 2009 23:04:31 GMT,
    > (Bruce Sinclair)
    >shouted from the highest rooftop:
    >
    >>In article <>, Donchano

    > <> wrote:
    >>>On Sun, 02 Aug 2009 23:22:41 GMT,
    >>> (Bruce Sinclair)
    >>>shouted from the highest rooftop:
    >>>>How hard is ...
    >>>>1) opening mail
    >>>>2) opening the directory where their pictures are
    >>>>3) dragging the piccies they want to send into the email
    >>>>?
    >>>>Suggest that if they can't handle that, there's no hope :)
    >>>That's fine if you want to "insert" the photos into your mail and they
    >>>are already optimised.
    >>>But if you read my original question again you'll see that they want
    >>>to optimise the photos and "attach" them to a Thunderbird mail message
    >>>- which is what "Mail this file" should let them do, automatically.

    >>Um ... my apologies for my failure at initial reading ... but now I really
    >>don't understand. "optimise" for what ? :)

    >
    >Have you ever opened an email to find an eyeball staring at you? My
    >sister specialises in sending photos of her grandchildren that are so
    >HUGE that you can only see a portion of a face on your monitor.
    >Another friend sends HUGE photos of her cats. And the image files are
    >five or six megabytes - each!


    ... but surely, after the first smacking, they don't do that again ... ?
    ... do they ? ... or are your friends and rellies smack resistant ? :)

    >So, unless I want to print them, there's no practical reason that I
    >want to receive HUGE image files. And that's where optimising comes
    >in.
    >Optimising (or optomizing) is the term used to describe the process of
    >taking a big image file and reducing it down to something that allows
    >the viewer to see the photo in an email without the image having to be
    >HUGE to look at or slow to download.


    Well optimising to me could mean for speed/quality/ ... or anything.
    Appreciate the update.

    >Sometimes it only takes reducing the dpi (dots per inch) - or
    >resolution - down from (let's say) 300dpi to 72 dpi. Other times in
    >means reducing the size of the image from 1200 pixels wide to 300
    >pixels wide.


    Ah ... so you are talking about automatic optimising for 'screen viewing'
    then, so that it is sufficient but no more. Makes perfect sense.

    >The Windows function I'm talking about optimises image files
    >automatically by reducing the size of the file. Other software, like
    >Irfanview and Photoshop Image Ready do it manually. But doing it
    >manually is not as easy as doing it automatically, especially for my
    >son-in-law.
    >Hope that helps ;-)


    I still reckon a little user education is better. :)
    Your descriptions do help with understanding though. Thanks :)
    Bruce Sinclair, Aug 4, 2009
    #7
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Wayne
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    690
    Wayne
    Mar 2, 2004
  2. eddiec
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    864
    Zenner
    May 20, 2004
  3. c.reifert

    Actually, a wav question instead of mp3 question

    c.reifert, Dec 3, 2004, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    11
    Views:
    802
    ┬░Mike┬░
    Dec 3, 2004
  4. ~misfit~

    Re: XP "Mail this file" question

    ~misfit~, Aug 1, 2009, in forum: NZ Computing
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    268
    ~misfit~
    Aug 2, 2009
  5. Craig Shore

    Re: XP "Mail this file" question

    Craig Shore, Aug 3, 2009, in forum: NZ Computing
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    382
    Bruce Sinclair
    Aug 10, 2009
Loading...

Share This Page