Re: XP "Mail this file" question

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by ~misfit~, Aug 1, 2009.

  1. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Donchano wrote:
    > (I asked this question in alt.windows-xp a few days ago, but nobody
    > has responded and the group seems almost dormant. I also googled it
    > without results. So if there's another XP newsgroup anyone can
    > recommend I'd be grateful.)
    >
    > OS: XP home Service Pack 3
    >
    > Daughter and son-in-law's computer (I use XPpro).
    >
    > In "My Pictures" they've been using the "Mail this file" option to
    > optimise & attach image files to emails and it's been working fine
    > until this week.
    >
    > What used to happen in "My Pictures is that they'd highlight the
    > photos they wanted to email and click on "Mail this file" in the menu
    > on the left of the main panel.
    >
    > That would open a small confirmation window and once they clicked
    > "OK," that window would close and another window would open showing
    > the progress.
    >
    > Once the process was finished that window would close and their email
    > client (Thunderbird) would open with a new message with the optimised
    > files attached.
    >
    > All they'd have to do is pick the recipient, write a brief message (if
    > required) and hit the "Send" button.
    >
    > Since this week, however, the following occurs:
    >
    > 1. Instead of only the dialog window opening, both the dialog and
    > progress windows open simultaneously two open.
    >
    > 2. If they do nothing, nothing happens and the green bar on the
    > progress window just keeps moving and Thunderbird doesn't open.
    >
    > 3. If they click "OK" on the dialog window, the progress window closes
    > and Thunderbird still doesn't open.
    >
    > I've installed Irfanview on their computer and shown them how to batch
    > process photos. But, the Windows "Mail this file" option is still
    > easier for them and I'm wondering if there's an simple fix to get this
    > function back up and running for them (like repairing/reinstalling
    > XP).
    >
    > TIA

    I've never used the option you mention. I use a Windows Powertoy, Image
    resizer. Free and simple.
    --
    Shaun.

    "Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll
    be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchet, 'Jingo'.

    ~misfit~, Aug 1, 2009

  2. ~misfit~

    Cima Guest

    On Sat, 1 Aug 2009 12:29:57 +1200, "~misfit~" <> wrote:

    >I've never used the option you mention. I use a Windows Powertoy, Image
    >resizer. Free and simple.

    Hey, thanks. This is cool. I've had a bunch of CDs sitting here for ages with
    photos that a lady's son scanned, and they were bloody huge bitmaps. I'm talking
    200mb up to 1.5GB!!!!! And nothing would resize them - Paintshop Pro would
    choke, Faststone Resizer would resize & convert- but the images were all 15k
    blank jpgs, a command line resizer/converter said they were too big, something
    on Kubuntu didn't want to know either. This Powertoys util did it no prob. I was
    about to chuck those CDs out!

    Cima, Aug 2, 2009

  3. In message <>, Cima wrote:

    > I've had a bunch of CDs sitting here for ages
    > with photos that a lady's son scanned, and they were bloody huge bitmaps.
    > I'm talking 200mb up to 1.5GB!!!!! And nothing would resize them ...

    Did you try ImageMagick?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Aug 2, 2009
  4. ~misfit~

    Enkidu Guest

    Cima wrote:
    > On Sat, 1 Aug 2009 12:29:57 +1200, "~misfit~" <> wrote:
    >
    >> I've never used the option you mention. I use a Windows Powertoy, Image
    >> resizer. Free and simple.

    > Hey, thanks. This is cool. I've had a bunch of CDs sitting here for ages with
    > photos that a lady's son scanned, and they were bloody huge bitmaps. I'm talking
    > 200mb up to 1.5GB!!!!! And nothing would resize them - Paintshop Pro would
    > choke, Faststone Resizer would resize & convert- but the images were all 15k
    > blank jpgs, a command line resizer/converter said they were too big, something
    > on Kubuntu didn't want to know either. This Powertoys util did it no prob. I was
    > about to chuck those CDs out!

    Ignore Lawrence. Did you try ImageMagick?

    http://www.imagemagick.org/script/binary-releases.php#windows

    It's not as easy as a point and click but is very flexible.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Aug 2, 2009
  5. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Cima wrote:
    > On Sat, 1 Aug 2009 12:29:57 +1200, "~misfit~"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> I've never used the option you mention. I use a Windows Powertoy,
    >> Image resizer. Free and simple.

    > Hey, thanks. This is cool. I've had a bunch of CDs sitting here for
    > ages with photos that a lady's son scanned, and they were bloody huge
    > bitmaps. I'm talking 200mb up to 1.5GB!!!!! And nothing would resize
    > them - Paintshop Pro would choke, Faststone Resizer would resize &
    > convert- but the images were all 15k blank jpgs, a command line
    > resizer/converter said they were too big, something on Kubuntu didn't
    > want to know either. This Powertoys util did it no prob. I was about
    > to chuck those CDs out!

    Excellent! Great to hear.
    --
    Shaun.