Re: XP licence - accidently wrong licence - can i change

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by richard, May 17, 2010.

  1. richard

    richard Guest

    On Mon, 17 May 2010 20:50:11 +0100, brillo wrote:

    > Iwas setting up 3 computers with XP
    > after clearing hard disks to start again
    >
    > In error I have ended up using same licence
    > on two different computers , do i have to
    > fdisk and start all over again ?,,, too time consuming
    > is there a way of chnageing licence code , easy and free ?

    Who is going to know that a license code was put on a second machine?
    It's your property, you can do with it as you desire.
    How is microsoft going to find out you put the same code on 2 machines?
    Hell, I've done it and not once nobody said a word about it.
    Like how are they gonna know that code belongs to you to begin with? Unless
    you registered the product.

    Oh I know some idiots are gonna around now and say, "well you signed an
    agreement to use the software on only one machine........blah blah
    blah...".
    Hell, if microsoft sued every one who did it, the courts would get sick and
    tired of the crap real quick.

    Just go on and quit worrying about it.

    --
    I learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone, so you got to please
    yourself.
    richard, May 17, 2010

  2. richard wrote:

    > brillo wrote:
    >> Iwas setting up 3 computers with XP
    >> after clearing hard disks to start again
    >>
    >> In error I have ended up using same licence on two different
    >> computers , do i have to fdisk and start all over again ?,,, too
    >> time consuming is there a way of chnageing licence code , easy and
    >> free ?

    > Who is going to know that a license code was put on a second machine?

    Microsoft, every time the computers look for updates. Duh.

    > It's your property, you can do with it as you desire. How is microsoft
    > going to find out you put the same code on 2 machines?

    Ah, so you don't know...

    > Hell, I've done it and not once nobody said a word about it.

    No, they know you're Richard the St00pid!

    > Like how are they gonna know that code belongs to you to begin with?
    > Unless you registered the product.

    If you don't register it, you don't get updates.

    > Oh I know some idiots are gonna around now and say, "well you signed an
    > agreement to use the software on only one machine........blah blah
    > blah...".

    So, you're a lawbreaker...

    > Hell, if microsoft sued every one who did it, the courts would get
    > sick and tired of the crap real quick.

    Hell, if everyone used a free operating system, there would be no need
    to go to court.

    > Just go on and quit worrying about it.

    Right.

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, May 17, 2010

  3. richard

    richard Guest

    On Mon, 17 May 2010 16:50:57 -0400, Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

    > richard wrote:
    >
    >> brillo wrote:
    >>> Iwas setting up 3 computers with XP
    >>> after clearing hard disks to start again
    >>>
    >>> In error I have ended up using same licence on two different
    >>> computers , do i have to fdisk and start all over again ?,,, too
    >>> time consuming is there a way of chnageing licence code , easy and
    >>> free ?

    >> Who is going to know that a license code was put on a second machine?

    > Microsoft, every time the computers look for updates. Duh.
    >
    >> It's your property, you can do with it as you desire. How is microsoft
    >> going to find out you put the same code on 2 machines?

    > Ah, so you don't know...
    >
    >> Hell, I've done it and not once nobody said a word about it.

    > No, they know you're Richard the St00pid!
    >
    >> Like how are they gonna know that code belongs to you to begin with?
    >> Unless you registered the product.

    > If you don't register it, you don't get updates.
    >
    >> Oh I know some idiots are gonna around now and say, "well you signed an
    >> agreement to use the software on only one machine........blah blah
    >> blah...".

    > So, you're a lawbreaker...
    >
    >> Hell, if microsoft sued every one who did it, the courts would get
    >> sick and tired of the crap real quick.

    > Hell, if everyone used a free operating system, there would be no need
    > to go to court.
    >
    >> Just go on and quit worrying about it.

    > Right.

    I've gotten updates regularly without registeration.

    The "one license, one computer" rule is a scheme designed to soak you out
    of your money. why do ya think they put a recovery partition on new
    machines?

    richard, May 17, 2010
  4. Evan Platt wrote:

    > "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" wrote:
    > [RtS wrote:]
    >>> Like how are they gonna know that code belongs to you to begin with?
    >>> Unless you registered the product.

    >>If you don't register it, you don't get updates.

    > Ahhh yes, forgot about that.

    As I remember, they relaxed that a bit a coupla years ago. You'll get
    most serious security updates, but nothing else.

    > Obviously you can 'register' with fake information (Joe Smith, 1234
    > Anywhere Street),

    Hey! Do you live in my house??

    > but they'll still know one license is installed on more than one
    > computer.

    Absolutely. Remember, too, an OEM copy can only be used on the computer
    it came with.

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, May 17, 2010
  5. richard

    richard Guest

    On Mon, 17 May 2010 17:03:28 -0400, Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

    > Evan Platt wrote:

    >>>If you don't register it, you don't get updates.

    >> Ahhh yes, forgot about that.

    > As I remember, they relaxed that a bit a coupla years ago. You'll get
    > most serious security updates, but nothing else.
    >
    >> Obviously you can 'register' with fake information (Joe Smith, 1234
    >> Anywhere Street),

    > Hey! Do you live in my house??
    >
    >> but they'll still know one license is installed on more than one
    >> computer.

    > Absolutely. Remember, too, an OEM copy can only be used on the computer
    > it came with.

    Oh really? How is that other computer gonna know that?

    richard, May 17, 2010
  6. richard wrote:

    > The "one license, one computer" rule is a scheme designed to soak you
    > out of your money.

    Well, of course it is! You, of course, may remove Windows and use a
    FOSS operating system if you wish. There is no registering and no money
    involved. Might be just a bit beyond your skill level, though.

    > why do ya think they put a recovery partition on new machines?

    So that when it crashes, or is virused-up, you can 'recover' it to its
    original state. You will *not* succeed in copying that partition to
    another computer.

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, May 17, 2010
  7. richard

    chuckcar Guest

    richard <> wrote in

    > On Mon, 17 May 2010 20:50:11 +0100, brillo wrote:
    >
    >> Iwas setting up 3 computers with XP
    >> after clearing hard disks to start again
    >>
    >> In error I have ended up using same licence
    >> on two different computers , do i have to
    >> fdisk and start all over again ?,,, too time consuming
    >> is there a way of chnageing licence code , easy and free ?

    > Who is going to know that a license code was put on a second machine?

    Microsoft. As soon as it goes to the internet to activate XP. Which is
    just after it finishes installing. You can't even use it before then.
    Not without some serious registry editing in safe mode anyways.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, May 18, 2010
  8. richard

    freemont Guest

    On Mon, 17 May 2010 23:55:23 +0000, chuckcar writ:

    > richard <> wrote in
    >
    >> On Mon, 17 May 2010 20:50:11 +0100, brillo wrote:
    >>
    >>> Iwas setting up 3 computers with XP
    >>> after clearing hard disks to start again
    >>>
    >>> In error I have ended up using same licence on two different computers
    >>> , do i have to fdisk and start all over again ?,,, too time consuming
    >>> is there a way of chnageing licence code , easy and free ?

    >> Who is going to know that a license code was put on a second machine?

    > Microsoft. As soon as it goes to the internet to activate XP. Which is
    > just after it finishes installing. You can't even use it before then.
    > Not without some serious registry editing in safe mode anyways.

    You don't get 30 days to activate?

    Gee they musta changed that.

    Oh, wait!

    <http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307890>

    --
    â‚ "Because all you of Earth are idiots!"
    â‚ Beware the 24hoursupport tards:
    freemont, May 18, 2010
  9. richard wrote:
    > Who is going to know that a license code was put on a second machine?
    > It's your property, you can do with it as you desire.
    > How is microsoft going to find out you put the same code on 2 machines?
    > Hell, I've done it and not once nobody said a word about it.
    > Like how are they gonna know that code belongs to you to begin with? Unless
    > you registered the product.
    >
    > Oh I know some idiots are gonna around now and say, "well you signed an
    > agreement to use the software on only one machine........blah blah
    > blah...".
    > Hell, if microsoft sued every one who did it, the courts would get sick and
    > tired of the crap real quick.
    >
    > Just go on and quit worrying about it.

    Bad advice. XP, along with lot of the newer software packages 'phone
    home' to make sure they're legit. XP was one of the first OSes that did
    this...well, that M$ said up front would phone home...

    n0i
    thund3rstruck, May 18, 2010
  10. richard wrote:
    > I've gotten updates regularly without registeration.
    >
    > The "one license, one computer" rule is a scheme designed to soak you out
    > of your money. why do ya think they put a recovery partition on new
    > machines?

    Someone at some point in time had to activate Windows on your
    computer. If they didn't, you would have to wipe/reload every 30 days.

    n0i
    thund3rstruck, May 18, 2010
  11. richard wrote:
    > On Mon, 17 May 2010 17:03:28 -0400, Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

    <snip>
    >>> but they'll still know one license is installed on more than one
    >>> computer.

    >> Absolutely. Remember, too, an OEM copy can only be used on the computer
    >> it came with.

    > Oh really? How is that other computer gonna know that?

    It's not...until M$'s servers compare the sid calculated off of the
    CPU, the Nic card and the Video card (iirc) and match it with the
    install keycode.

    n0i
    thund3rstruck, May 18, 2010
  12. thund3rstruck wrote:

    > richard wrote:
    >> Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    >>> Absolutely. Remember, too, an OEM copy can only be used on the
    >>> computer it came with.

    >> Oh really? How is that other computer gonna know that?

    > It's not...until M$'s servers compare the sid calculated off of the
    > CPU, the Nic card and the Video card (iirc) and match it with the
    > install keycode.

    ISTR that the hard drive is part of the equation as well. Maybe. St00pid
    probably never heard that if/when you change a significant amount of the
    hardware, you gotta deal with Mickeysoft and get reactivated.

    It's usually not a problem, when you call and tell them something like
    "I had a power spike and had to get a new motherboard and NIC."
    (assuming the new sid reflects that...)

    Otherwise, 30 days and you're toast.

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, May 18, 2010
  13. richard

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    richard wrote:
    > On Mon, 17 May 2010 16:50:57 -0400, Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    >
    >> richard wrote:

    >>> Who is going to know that a license code was put on a second machine?

    >> Microsoft, every time the computers look for updates. Duh.
    >>
    >>> It's your property, you can do with it as you desire. How is microsoft
    >>> going to find out you put the same code on 2 machines?

    >> Ah, so you don't know...
    >>
    >>> Hell, I've done it and not once nobody said a word about it.

    >> No, they know you're Richard the St00pid!
    >>
    >>> Like how are they gonna know that code belongs to you to begin with?
    >>> Unless you registered the product.

    >> If you don't register it, you don't get updates.
    >>
    >>> Oh I know some idiots are gonna around now and say, "well you signed an
    >>> agreement to use the software on only one machine........blah blah
    >>> blah...".

    >> So, you're a lawbreaker...
    >>
    >>> Hell, if microsoft sued every one who did it, the courts would get
    >>> sick and tired of the crap real quick.

    >> Hell, if everyone used a free operating system, there would be no need
    >> to go to court.
    >>
    >>> Just go on and quit worrying about it.

    >> Right.

    > I've gotten updates regularly without registeration.

    That is because registration has always been optional - unless you meant
    activation?

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus
    Oldus Fartus, May 18, 2010
  14. richard

    Fred Tehbot Guest

    richard <> wrote:

    > Who is going to know that a license code was put on a second
    > machine? It's your property, you can do with it as you desire. How
    > is microsoft going to find out you put the same code on 2 machines?
    > Hell, I've done it and not once nobody said a word about it. Like
    > how are they gonna know that code belongs to you to begin with?
    > Unless you registered the product.

    Post your hijackthis logfile.

    > Oh I know some idiots are gonna around now and say, "well you signed
    > an agreement to use the software on only one machine........blah
    > blah blah...". Hell, if microsoft sued every one who did it, the
    > courts would get sick and tired of the crap real quick.

    I was just asking if you know how to use the computer.

    > Just go on and quit worrying about it.

    You'll never win if you keep quitting.

    > If you disagree with a liberal, you're a racist homophobe.

    You're a moron.

    --
    You grazing, tricked-out, low-resolution gnawing mammal.
    Fred Tehbot, May 19, 2010