Re: XP Home activation?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Andy, Aug 17, 2009.

  1. Andy

    Andy Guest

    Kenny wrote:

    > Why would a PC which has been running happily for years suddenly require
    > activation at start up?
    > Only recent changes were an AGP graphics/analogue capture card added and m/b
    > battery changed.
    > Am tempted to install pirate copy of XP Pro, I know it won't happen again
    > then.

    Don't bother with a pirated OS.

    Download the Windows 7 RC from Microsoft and use it 'til mid next year
    for free. It beats XP Home and Vista.

    Cheers,
    Andy.

    --
    Registered Linux User #478766
    Join the Usenet Improvement Project: http://improve-usenet.org/

    Andy, Aug 17, 2009

  2. Andy

    why? Guest

    On 17 Aug 2009 11:30:24 GMT, Andy wrote:

    >Kenny wrote:
    >
    >> Why would a PC which has been running happily for years suddenly require
    >> activation at start up?
    >> Only recent changes were an AGP graphics/analogue capture card added and m/b
    >> battery changed.
    >> Am tempted to install pirate copy of XP Pro, I know it won't happen again
    >> then.

    >Don't bother with a pirated OS.
    >
    >Download the Windows 7 RC from Microsoft and use it 'til mid next year
    >for free. It beats XP Home and Vista.

    Is the RC still valid? I can't remember which PC here had the RC/Beta
    but it said it exipred already. I expect that will be because MS Technet
    downloads have the RTM version now.

    Me

    why?, Aug 17, 2009

  3. Andy

    VanguardLH Guest

    why? wrote:

    > Is the RC still valid? I can't remember which PC here had the RC/Beta
    > but it said it exipred already. I expect that will be because MS Technet
    > downloads have the RTM version now.

    The beta/RC versions have their own built-in expiration timer. They
    aren't tied to what versions are currently available. See:

    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/get/download.aspx

    That RC download will be available until August 20, 2009 and functions
    until its June 1, 2010 expiration (warning: downloading their RC version
    requires you also install the Akamai Download Manager, an ActiveX
    control). The RTM version is already available for Technet and MSDN
    subscribers yet the RC version is still available and will function past
    the RTM's release.

    I don't know if the RC has any of the fixes in the now available RTM
    version. If not, the RC users will be screwed for a year in not having
    those fixes. I haven't played with W7 RC to know if it works with the
    WU site. That is, will the RC version be eligible for updates via the
    Windows Update site? I don't waste my time migrating to a new version
    unless I have a need (and there was none for Vista) and until after the
    first service pack. An unstable OS is an unusable OS (and why I also
    don't overclock my hardware).

    Considering the sensitivity of the OP regarding a single reported
    occurrence of having to re-activate his current install of Windows XP,
    him moving to the next version of Windows won't solve that problem.
    Installing an OS is not easier than doing a re-activation.

    VanguardLH, Aug 17, 2009