Re: XP Home activation?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by VanguardLH, Aug 16, 2009.

  1. VanguardLH

    VanguardLH Guest

    Kenny wrote:

    > Why would a PC which has been running happily for years suddenly
    > require activation at start up? Only recent changes were an AGP
    > graphics/analogue capture card added and m/b battery changed.

    You just altered a major subsystem in your computer: it's video.
    That's why.

    > Am tempted to install pirate copy of XP Pro, I know it won't happen
    > again then.

    Oh, so you don't want help here. A pre-activated copy of Windows would
    still trigger to activate on a major subsystem change. Yes, it's your
    hardware but it's THEIR software. Go switch to a free variant of Linux
    and enjoy the learning curve.
    VanguardLH, Aug 16, 2009

  2. VanguardLH

    why? Guest

    On Sun, 16 Aug 2009 12:49:38 -0500, VanguardLH wrote:

    >Kenny wrote:
    >
    >> Why would a PC which has been running happily for years suddenly
    >> require activation at start up? Only recent changes were an AGP
    >> graphics/analogue capture card added and m/b battery changed.

    >You just altered a major subsystem in your computer: it's video.
    >That's why.

    Except that it's a points based system and although video is high in the
    list the rest of the machine appears unchanged so there wasn't a major
    overall change of the rest of the h/w score.

    >> Am tempted to install pirate copy of XP Pro, I know it won't happen
    >> again then.

    >Oh, so you don't want help here. A pre-activated copy of Windows would
    >still trigger to activate on a major subsystem change. Yes, it's your

    <snip>

    Me
    why?, Aug 16, 2009

  3. VanguardLH

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2009-08-16, why? <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote:

    > On Sun, 16 Aug 2009 12:49:38 -0500, VanguardLH wrote:
    >
    >>Kenny wrote:
    >>
    >>> Why would a PC which has been running happily for years suddenly
    >>> require activation at start up? Only recent changes were an AGP
    >>> graphics/analogue capture card added and m/b battery changed.

    >>You just altered a major subsystem in your computer: it's video.
    >>That's why.

    > Except that it's a points based system and although video is high in the
    > list the rest of the machine appears unchanged so there wasn't a major
    > overall change of the rest of the h/w score.

    [...]

    That change may have been only the most recent. If there is a 'points
    system' for hardware changes, then presumably previous changes could have
    accumulated enough points for those added by this latest change to trip
    the 'Microsoft really doesn't trust you at all' trigger.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Aug 16, 2009
  4. VanguardLH

    VanguardLH Guest

    Whiskers wrote:

    > On 2009-08-16, why? <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote:

    >>>You just altered a major subsystem in your computer: it's video.
    >>>That's why.

    >> Except that it's a points based system and although video is high in the
    >> list the rest of the machine appears unchanged so there wasn't a major
    >> overall change of the rest of the h/w score.

    > [...]
    >
    > That change may have been only the most recent. If there is a 'points
    > system' for hardware changes, then presumably previous changes could have
    > accumulated enough points for those added by this latest change to trip
    > the 'Microsoft really doesn't trust you at all' trigger.

    True. We were only told of the recent change, not what happened before.
    According to:

    the change of a video card should not have been sufficient on its own to
    exceed the threshold. Well, that's what the article says. It says
    scenario 1 won't require re-activation and yet I've had to do just that
    after replacing the motherboard and CPU. Adding more memory or changing
    drives (hard or optical) didn't initiate a re-activation.
    VanguardLH, Aug 16, 2009