Re: XP Home activation?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Bert Hyman, Aug 16, 2009.

  1. Bert Hyman

    Bert Hyman Guest

    In news: "Kenny"
    <> wrote:

    > Why would a PC which has been running happily for years suddenly
    > require activation at start up?
    > Only recent changes were an AGP graphics/analogue capture card added
    > and m/b battery changed.

    Windows sometimes has an odd idea of what constitutes a hardware change
    large enough to prompt re-activation.

    > Am tempted to install pirate copy of XP Pro, I know it won't happen
    > again then.

    Why? If your current copy is legit, re-activation is painless.

    --
    Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN

    Bert Hyman, Aug 16, 2009

  2. Bert Hyman

    Dan C Guest

    On Sun, 16 Aug 2009 16:04:13 +0100, Kenny wrote:

    > It's a legal copy on a Philips iQon desktop, the XP serial is on a
    > sticker on the base unit but it won't let me use that. Can't activate
    > over the net since it won't boot to Windows. Will try the phone
    > activation tomorrow, the reason I was tempted to use a pirate version
    > was to avoid this happening again.

    You're even more stupid than most Windoze users.

    Quite an accomplishment.

    Need help? -- http://brandybuck.site40.net/pics/ubuntu.jpg
    Get a job! -- http://brandybuck.site40.net/pics/republican.jpg

    Dan C, Aug 16, 2009

  3. Bert Hyman

    why? Guest

    On Sun, 16 Aug 2009 16:04:13 +0100, Kenny wrote:

    >It's a legal copy on a Philips iQon desktop, the XP serial is on a sticker

    Not worth mentioning this first?

    >on the base unit but it won't let me use that.

    So the message you get is?

    >Can't activate over the net since it won't boot to Windows.

    The times I tested this it ran for 1 hour at a time.

    >Will try the phone activation tomorrow, the reason I was tempted to use a
    >pirate version was to avoid this happening again.

    That's what the on screen help suggests, but you have to type in the
    code given, so you need Win to boot and the activation screen up.

    Stoopid, the last idea is (pirate).

    >Kenny
    >
    >"Bert Hyman" <> wrote in message
    >> In news: "Kenny"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Why would a PC which has been running happily for years suddenly
    >>> require activation at start up?
    >>> Only recent changes were an AGP graphics/analogue capture card added
    >>> and m/b battery changed.

    >> Windows sometimes has an odd idea of what constitutes a hardware change
    >> large enough to prompt re-activation.
    >>
    >>> Am tempted to install pirate copy of XP Pro, I know it won't happen
    >>> again then.

    >> Why? If your current copy is legit, re-activation is painless.
    >>

    >> --
    >> Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN

    Me

    why?, Aug 16, 2009
  4. Kenny wrote:

    > It's a legal copy on a Philips iQon desktop, the XP serial is on a
    > sticker on the base unit but it won't let me use that.
    > Can't activate over the net since it won't boot to Windows.

    If it doesn't boot anymore, you cannot activate it. Neither by internet
    (because it won't get to connect) nor by phone (you have to read a 50-
    digit number from the screen and type in the new serial)

    > Will try the phone activation tomorrow, the reason I was tempted to use
    > a pirate version was to avoid this happening again.

    Btw. "not booting" ....unless something unrelated is broken, it should
    still boot in "safe mode" allowing at least phone activation but you won't
    have a network connection.

    wisdomkiller & pain, Aug 16, 2009