Re: XP - formatting a new drive?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by wisdomkiller & pain, Oct 26, 2008.

  1. Sarah Houston wrote:

    > I uninstalled Systemworks a couple of years ago, because I felt ripped
    > off by Symantec when they disabled it because I installed it on our new
    > computer. I've been using the old Ghost from a floppy since then.
    >
    > Should I give up the Ghost? LOL.

    That ghost floppy won't recognize a drive "plugged in at the front port" -
    which must be a drive in a usb external enclosure.
    You will have to take the drive out of the enclosure and attach it - first
    as slave or on the 2nd ide channel - inside your computer.
    Then start the ghost from floppy and clone.
    Make sure you do it in the proper direction (from the smaller drive to the
    bigger one).
    If the new drive is a sata, you are doomed. But heh, 80G drives are hard to
    get these days, except worn-out ones from surplus.
    wisdomkiller & pain, Oct 26, 2008

  2. wisdomkiller & pain

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 15:38:09 -0500, Sarah Houston
    <> wrote:

    >Nope, it's an IDE plug port and thanks to suggestions here, I got it
    >initialized and formatted and Ghosted last night, so I'm in business,
    >thanks guys!

    An IDE port in the front of the computer?

    Never seen that....
    Evan Platt, Oct 26, 2008

  3. wisdomkiller & pain

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 21:10:24 -0500, Sarah Houston
    <> wrote:

    >> An IDE port in the front of the computer?
    >>
    >> Never seen that....

    >http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=GN210&cat=HDD
    >
    >I've had it for years now.

    Yeah. I know those. Just never heard of or seen a IDE port on the
    front of a computer.
    Evan Platt, Oct 27, 2008