Re: XP Firewall sufficient by itself?

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by Eric Eastridge, Jun 18, 2005.

  1. ok there have been many points made to this thread. I will throw my 2
    cents in the mix as well, as it may provide some understanding to those
    who want it.

    1) software firewalls were designed for home users with dial up access
    to the Internet. The PC is directly connect to the ISP via their modem
    and do not have a means of a hardware firewall. (I know some of you will
    say you can put hardware firewalls on dial up but remember most people
    at home do not do that with dial up)

    2) Hardware firewalls are designed for lan based networks, which
    cable/dsl is part of. Hardware firewalls provide superior protection
    than software firewalls.

    all firewalls have holes, software firewalls are much easier to bypass
    tan hardware firewalls. It takes about 5 seconds to disable or bypass
    most software firewalls.

    depending on the complexity and cash available, you can make a very
    secure home network. a few basic suggestion for the home user is:

    1) buy a router. cable/dsl router are cheap and often have built in
    firewalls. this alone would provide more protection than any software
    firewall. period. and in most cases this is all most users would need to
    do secure their home network.

    2) if you can afford it purchase a firewall. most commercial firewalls
    are expensive, but i have seen the cisco pix firewalls going for $600.
    A hardware firewalls is much harder to bypass and in most cases this is
    enough to make most would be hacker find another target.

    3) Instead of using a software firewall on broadband, i would suggest
    using an application protection program. This allows the user to control
    which applications can access network resources. many software firewalls
    also offer this, so i would disable the firewall functions and only use
    the application protection.

    windows XP firewall is more than sufficient for the home users provided
    they have a router/firewalls connected to their connection, if a
    software firewall is what you are looking for.
    Eric Eastridge, Jun 18, 2005

  2. smackedass wrote:
    > "Eric Eastridge" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>ok there have been many points made to this thread. I will throw my 2
    >>cents in the mix as well, as it may provide some understanding to those
    >>who want it.

    > etc.
    >
    > Thank you, Eric. A Six-HUNDRED dollar firewall for a home user? What about
    > a Linksys or Netgear router that provides NAT and SPI protection? Around
    > $69.99.
    >
    > smackedass

    For the average home user, yes linksys or netgear would work perfectly.
    Now depending on how these routers/firewalls/nats are setup is could
    be a very bad idea to have nat on the same device. if a person can
    access nat from outside your network you are owned. It is all about
    making your network look less inviting than the next one. It makes
    would-be hackers pick another easier target. Personally i like to be
    able to configure every aspect of the firewall/router, Create access
    lists and filters, explicitly deny traffic etc... just enabling and
    disabling ports is no enough for me personally.

    Watchguard offers some nice home appliances as well.

    http://www.watchguard.com/products/fireboxsoho6.asp
    or
    http://www.watchguard.com/products/v10.asp

    watchguard is another top name in firewalls, it is still expensive, but
    well worth it, you can get either of those for around $230 -$250
    depending on where you look. there are many companies out there and a
    huge price range for products. Firewalls, intrusion detection etc...

    ok i am not getting into the whole home security thing, that is another
    topic.
    Eric Eastridge, Jun 18, 2005