Re: XP Firewall sufficient by itself?

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by MF, May 23, 2005.

  1. MF

    MF Guest

    howdy

    get zone alarm - even an old version will do - or sygate personal firewall,
    both free, and relatively easy to configure. you don't need a router. you
    can leave your computer running for days with the broadband connection on,
    no problem.

    or, with these firewalls, you can leave it running with all traffic on your
    internet interface blocked - with zone alarm it's so easy, right click left
    click, done, that i would recommend it if you need to shut off your AV auto
    protect often to install stuff.

    ZA or Sygate will stop everything --EXCEPT -- scumware of any sort installed
    over your http connection to a website. remember, after you open that http
    connection stuff that comes in over it is interpreted as a response to your
    request. and so such things will also penetrate routers doing NAT. these
    nasties include spyware, trojans, etc., from evil sites.

    however, ZA and Sygate will alert you of said scumware if it tries to call
    home. i can tell you absolutely that those two things work with very
    minimal updates or worry, so i would forget the ms firewall for the moment.

    an added advantage, learn to configure firewalls and you will learn to
    configure filters on internet routers :).

    MF, May 23, 2005