    to connect to the internet without warning you.

    Why would Microsoft allow this?

    Maybe because they want Windows XP to "phone home" behind your back...
    Andrew, May 22, 2005

  2. Andrew

    Guest

    As far as software Firewalls go, XPs is about as good as they get. As
    for Mcaffee or NIS (shudder) they may work, but at the expense of
    useability features. Most Moms and Grandmas have no idea how to
    configure them, they are system resource hogs and I have seen them
    break more things than they ever fixed. NIS sucks
    , May 23, 2005

  3. Andrew

    me Guest

    I disagree. I absolutely refuse to use the WinXp firewall by itself. I
    simply do not trust security to microsoft--period. As for Mcafee, and other
    software firewalls being a resource hog and difficult for the average person
    to configure--I disagree. There are only two software firewalls I will use
    and I won't divulge what they are. Suffice it to say my defenses are
    layered.

    me, May 23, 2005
  4. Andrew

    me Guest

    troll?

    not hardly. The problem with divulging what firewall defenses I use--there
    are more than just A+ techs who read these forums.....there are also those
    nasty little script kiddies, and those who would only destroy that which is
    not theirs--do you divulge what security you have installed at your home or
    business? to give that away is to tell those who watch these forums what to
    use against you....I have been hacked a time or two--but each time my
    computer was attacked, I learned how to better defend it. I will tell you
    this--I was motivated to learn about security--honey pots, DMZs, and other
    little items, are all available on google. I also learned quickly to layer
    my defenses after a little hacker attacked my computer with a denial of
    service attack and caused such damage that it took nearly six weeks to undo
    the damage that was done--and about $200 on new hardware on top of that--and
    the miserable little server out of Texas tried to tell me their user didn't
    attack me--BS, because I had his IP address logged and printed prior to my
    machine doing the BSOD--which it did mind you every time I turned it on
    until I finally figured out how to fix it----now I divulge nothing, except
    one thing--Linux is your friend--especially when using it as a hardware
    firewall and filter...:)

    I merely responded to the post that WinXp firewall is sufficient by itself
    and that software firewalls are difficult to configure and hog
    resources--which they do not--at least in my opinion.

    me, May 23, 2005
  5. Andrew

    MF Guest

    "Barry Watzman" <> wrote in message
    > Re: "> Why would Microsoft allow this?
    >
    > Microsoft was just trying to strike a balance between security and
    > trouble-free "zero-configuration" installation and use by users with zero
    > technical knowledge. I personally have always advised people not to
    > install "Black Ice", "Zone Alarm" or any of the Norton firewalls,
    > precisely because in the hands of most home users, they cause far more
    > problems than they solve.
    >
    > In my view, Microsoft got it right.

    This is a very good point. Except perhaps for the last sentence. If you
    simply install XP SP2 on the computers of "most home users" they are going
    to be unpleasantly surprised and annoyed by what happens to their favorite
    sites and emails from their favorite sources. I don't think there is any
    even moderately effective security solution that can be installed on most
    home users' computers without you, the tech, configuring it.

    Maybe I'm wrong, I only work with a few home users, but that's been my
    impression.

    Mike
    MF, May 23, 2005
  6. Andrew

    Guest

    You guys really need to learn about hardware firewalls. If your
    software (MS, Zone Alarm, black Ice) firewall is breeched your system
    is owned. Never mind the fact that you just opened an email infected
    with the latest 0 day virus that just shut down, or opened ports in
    your firewall (s) so now your system is Owned. Nat is not a firewall
    either, but at leaste a port cant be opened in it by a virus.

    I am not afraid of the script kiddies as the troll mentioned. I am
    running a IPcop Firewall on a Celeron 500 MHZ. It protects my domain
    controller, Exchange Server, and Web Site with no problems. I can
    control outgoing and incoming traffic and have detailed logs. It
    causes no preformance hits on any of my PCs.

    Get a real firewall
    , May 24, 2005
  7. Andrew

    me Guest

    why buy a hardware firewall when you can make one?

    As for not being afraid of the script kiddies--I never said I was afraid of
    them--quite the contrary--I find them to be very useful in showing me the
    weakness of my defenses--know your enemy, otherwise you will be defeated by
    them.

    As for being a troll--that, I am not. I am simply someone offering my
    opinions, ideas and suggestions just like the rest of the individuals who
    post here.

    Those who don't won't honest opinions shouldn't ask for them.

    me, May 24, 2005
  8. Andrew

    AG Guest

    The reason for a hardware firewall is that even the cost running an old
    computer in electricity is more than paid for in only a couple of months.
    A hardware router is about $40 and it costs, on average $20 a month to run a
    computer. The hardware router will be 1/10 of that since it's all solid
    state.
    My SBC provided me with a wireless router for $50, which will pay for itself
    in only a couple of months in convenience and such.

    AG

    AG, May 24, 2005