Re: XP- can't fine system restore

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Paul, Apr 6, 2009.

  1. Paul

    Paul Guest

    j wrote:
    > I bought a used laptop that has the Windows XP Awesome Edition operating
    > system. I cannot find where to do a system restore. I looked under
    > accessories/system tools but it's not there. Does anyone have knowledge of
    > this?

    This site has a bit of information.

    http://bertk.mvps.org/html/safemode.html

    In a command window, you can try this.

    %systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

    "System Restore" is used to return things to a
    state captured on some previous day (as shown
    in the calendar, in that dialog).

    I don't think that is what you're after though.
    You'd still have the Awesome Edition if you
    used that feature, just a snapshot from
    a few days back, if any restore points were
    actually captured.

    *******
    Another possibility, is you're referring to the hidden partition
    present on some pre-built computers. The hidden partition
    has a "recovery" copy of Windows, which overwrites the C:
    drive. You use that, to return the computer to the factory
    state. The user manual for the laptop may recommend the
    owner burn a copy of the recovery partition, to a CD or
    DVD. But the software on the laptop, that makes that
    copy, may only allow one copy to be made. (You can always
    make copies of the burned disk, outside of that program.)
    Alternately, a computer may come with a recovery CD/DVD
    in the box, saving the step of burning a copy.

    So maybe you're referring to the ability to restore
    C: to the factory state, using the software that
    came with the laptop ? Either in the hidden partition,
    or via a CD or DVD with the factory software on it.

    If the hard drive got replaced, through the life of the
    laptop, the person who did the maintenance, may have
    neglected to put the hidden partition back on the new
    drive. Or, if the recovery CD/DVD was not available, to
    help put it back, perhaps someone maintaining the computer,
    has lost all copies of the necessary software or partition.
    In that case, you can go to the manufacturer, and buy a
    recovery CD/DVD. Some of the manufacturers, only offer
    that service to customers during the warranty period,
    and some number of years after the last machine ships,
    they stop offering the media for sale. Presumably,
    such media is keyed to the platform, such that it
    only works on a restricted set of models. The
    recovery CD/DVD is not a normal Windows installer,
    and as far as I know, is some kind of image.

    Best guess,
    Paul
    Paul, Apr 6, 2009