Re: XP and scheduling a shutdown.

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jun 6, 2008.

  1. In article <>, Jason Clinton did
    write:

    > I often stream video from my main pc to my laptop
    > to watch in bed and it would be useful to shutdown the main pc from
    > the laptop when I'm done.

    No equivalent to

    ssh main_pc shutdown -h now

    ?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jun 6, 2008

  2. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    JohnO Guest

    On Jun 6, 9:55 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    > In article <>, Jason Clinton did
    > write:
    >
    > > I often stream video from my main pc to my laptop
    > > to watch in bed and it would be useful to shutdown the main pc from
    > > the laptop when I'm done.

    > No equivalent to
    >
    > ssh main_pc shutdown -h now
    >
    > ?

    There is, as discussed previously.

    JohnO, Jun 9, 2008

  3. In article
    <>, JohnO
    did write:

    > On Jun 6, 9:55 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    > central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    >
    >> In article <>, Jason Clinton
    >> did write:
    >>
    >> > I often stream video from my main pc to my laptop
    >> > to watch in bed and it would be useful to shutdown the main pc from
    >> > the laptop when I'm done.

    >> No equivalent to
    >>
    >> ssh main_pc shutdown -h now
    >>
    >> ?

    > There is, as discussed previously.

    Really? Where?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jun 9, 2008
  4. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    JohnO Guest

    On Jun 9, 4:24 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    > In article
    > <>, JohnO
    > did write:
    >

    > > On Jun 6, 9:55 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    > > central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:

    > >> In article <>, Jason Clinton
    > >> did write:

    > >> No equivalent to

    > >> ssh main_pc shutdown -h now

    > >> ?

    > > There is, as discussed previously.

    > Really? Where?

    Post 5 by Intuitive in this thread.

    JohnO, Jun 9, 2008
  5. In article
    <>, JohnO
    did write:

    > On Jun 9, 4:24 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    > central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    >> In article
    >> <>,
    >> JohnO did write:

    >> > There is, as discussed previously.

    >> Really? Where?

    > Post 5 by Intuitive in this thread.

    No mention of doing it remotely, that I could see.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jun 10, 2008
  6. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    JohnO Guest

    On Jun 10, 12:07 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    > In article
    > <>, JohnO
    > did write:
    >

    > > On Jun 9, 4:24 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    > > central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    > >> In article
    > >> <>,
    > >> JohnO did write:

    > >> Really? Where?

    > > Post 5 by Intuitive in this thread.

    > No mention of doing it remotely, that I could see.

    shutdown -m \\computername

    JohnO, Jun 10, 2008
  7. On Jun 10, 1:35 pm, JohnO <> wrote:
    > On Jun 10, 12:07 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    >

    > central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    > > In article
    > > <>, JohnO
    > > did write:

    > > > Post 5 by Intuitive in this thread.

    > > No mention of doing it remotely, that I could see.

    > shutdown -m \\computername- Hide quoted text -

    I use this to help look after our network of approx 250 remote
    computers. It's uber-useful.

    Can also schedule shutdown with AT:

    at \\SomeComputer 00:00 shutdown -r -t 30 -c "Rebooting in 30 seconds
    - save your work!"

    Hamish Campbell, Jun 10, 2008
  8. In article
    <>, JohnO
    did write:

    > On Jun 10, 12:07 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    > central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    >>
    >> In article
    >> <>,
    >> JohnO did write:

    >>> Post 5 by Intuitive in this thread.

    >> No mention of doing it remotely, that I could see.

    > shutdown -m \\computername

    What sort of security?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jun 10, 2008
  9. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Enkidu Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In article
    > <>, JohnO
    > did write:
    >
    >> On Jun 9, 4:24 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    >> central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    >>> In article
    >>> <>,
    >>> JohnO did write:

    >>> Really? Where?

    >> Post 5 by Intuitive in this thread.

    > No mention of doing it remotely, that I could see.

    shutdown.exe will do it remotely:

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/317371

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    'hilarious', it usually isn't?

    Enkidu, Jun 10, 2008
  10. In article <484e31b5$>, Enkidu did write:

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jun 10, 2008
  11. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    JohnO Guest

    On Jun 10, 6:02 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    > In article
    > <>, JohnO
    > did write:
    >

    > > On Jun 10, 12:07 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    > > central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:

    > >> In article
    > >> <>,
    > >> JohnO did write:

    > >> No mention of doing it remotely, that I could see.

    > > shutdown -m \\computername

    > What sort of security?

    Is this one of those little childrens' games where after every answer
    you come up with another question?

    JohnO, Jun 10, 2008
  12. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    JohnO Guest

    On Jun 10, 8:10 pm, sam <> wrote:
    > JohnO wrote:
    > > On Jun 10, 6:02 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    > > central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    > >> In article
    > >> <>, JohnO
    > >> did write:

    > >> What sort of security?

    > > Is this one of those little childrens' games where after every answer
    > > you come up with another question?

    > Is that what you want ?

    No - but I think that's what Larry is after. I think the game is
    called 'keep asking questions until you come up with an answer that
    says Linux is better than Windows'.

    JohnO, Jun 10, 2008
  13. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Enkidu Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In article <484e31b5$>, Enkidu did write:
    >
    >> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >>
    >>> In article
    >>> <>,
    >>> JohnO did write:

    >>> No mention of doing it remotely, that I could see.

    >> shutdown.exe will do it remotely:
    >>
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/317371

    > What sort of security?

    You need administrator rights to the remote machine, from memory.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    'hilarious', it usually isn't?

    Enkidu, Jun 10, 2008
  14. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Raúl Muñiz Guest

    JohnO wrote:

    > No - but I think that's what Larry is after. I think the game is
    > called 'keep asking questions until you come up with an answer that
    > says Linux is better than Windows'.

    The quality of the tech support I get from this group has leapt up
    enormously since I plonked the "Dimdows" tuxaheddin. I run a dualboot
    system and really enjoy OpenSuse 11.0 RC1, but pathological fixations
    on OS wars are way too boring and sad to waste my precious time
    reading. I know that there are plenty of peopkle contributing here who
    know that every OS has strengths and weaknesses. Larry clearly ain't
    one of 'em. This thread in particular has been useful, since I've been
    looking for just such a tool myself (the tool of which I speak is the
    shutdown command, not M. D'Oliveiro).

    --
    Proud to be a pieriansipist
    http://maxqnzs.com/References.html

    Raúl Muñiz, Jun 10, 2008
  15. In article <484e4624$>, Enkidu did write:

    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >> In article <484e31b5$>, Enkidu did write:
    >>

    >>> shutdown.exe will do it remotely:
    >>>
    >>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/317371

    >> What sort of security?

    > You need administrator rights to the remote machine, from memory.

    How does the remote machine verify those rights?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jun 13, 2008
  16. In article
    <>, JohnO
    did write:

    > Is this one of those little childrens' games where after every answer
    > you come up with another question?

    USENET is all about discussion. Those who can't come up with a coherent
    response are classified as "stupids". Some I keep for amusement value; the
    rest I plonk. :)

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jun 13, 2008