Re: XP and scheduling a shutdown.

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Dave Doe, Jun 2, 2008.

  1. Dave Doe

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <>,
    lid says...
    > Just wondering if this is possible. I have a number of tasks such as
    > backups and AV software updates etc that I want to schedule to run
    > late each evening - say at 11 pm. I then want an automated scheduled
    > shutdown that will close any open applications.
    >
    > I have tried using shutdown.exe but that never works - it just has no
    > effect at all. Any ideas?

    I haven't tried it, but try the psshutdown util from:

    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-nz/sysinternals

    --
    Duncan
    Dave Doe, Jun 2, 2008

  2. Dave Doe

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > In article <>,
    > lid says...
    > > Just wondering if this is possible. I have a number of tasks such as
    > > backups and AV software updates etc that I want to schedule to run
    > > late each evening - say at 11 pm. I then want an automated scheduled
    > > shutdown that will close any open applications.
    > >
    > > I have tried using shutdown.exe but that never works - it just has no
    > > effect at all. Any ideas?

    > I haven't tried it, but try the psshutdown util from:
    >
    > http://technet.microsoft.com/en-nz/sysinternals

    This is the direct link:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-nz/sysinternals/bb897541(en-us).aspx

    --
    Duncan
    Dave Doe, Jun 2, 2008

  3. Dave Doe

    Intuitive Guest

    Crash wrote:
    > On Mon, 2 Jun 2008 20:59:43 +1200, Dave Doe <> wrote:
    >
    >> In article <>,
    >> lid says...
    >>> Just wondering if this is possible. I have a number of tasks such as
    >>> backups and AV software updates etc that I want to schedule to run
    >>> late each evening - say at 11 pm. I then want an automated scheduled
    >>> shutdown that will close any open applications.
    >>>
    >>> I have tried using shutdown.exe but that never works - it just has no
    >>> effect at all. Any ideas?

    >> I haven't tried it, but try the psshutdown util from:
    >>
    >> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-nz/sysinternals

    > Perfect - will download and try it. Many thanks.
    > --
    > Crash

    The "shutdown.exe" tool that comes with Windows works like a charm.

    Did you include any switches with the command?!
    You might want to try -s to shutdown, and -t x for a countdown
    I.E shutdown -s -t 5
    It can also be used to shutdown other PCs on the LAN/WAN, with the -m
    \\netbiosname switch :)
    Intuitive, Jun 4, 2008
  4. In article <g25rbg$imm$>, Intuitive did write:

    > The "shutdown.exe" tool that comes with Windows works like a charm.
    >
    > Did you include any switches with the command?!
    > You might want to try -s to shutdown, and -t x for a countdown
    > I.E shutdown -s -t 5
    > It can also be used to shutdown other PCs on the LAN/WAN, with the -m
    > \\netbiosname switch :)

    Does it have a man page?
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jun 5, 2008