Re: XP and Novell

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Malke, Dec 14, 2006.

  1. Malke

    Malke Guest

    CatInTrouble wrote:

    > I brought my IBM Thinkpad home from college. When I left, they removed
    > my wireless network card. I bought a new one (orinoco) and configured
    > it with our linksys router at home. When I rebooted, I get the Novell
    > login screen. It is trying to connect to the network at school. I
    > don't have any usercode/password and the Help Desk at school won't
    > answer my questions. I can't get around this login screen. I read some
    > other forums that said click on the Workstation box but there is no
    > such box on the screen. I don't know what version of Netware I have
    > because I can't login. I tried bringing it up in Safe Mode but I still
    > get the login screen. The only way it comes up is in DOS mode. I saw
    > another forum that had some registry changes to stop the Novell screen
    > from coming up but I'm not sure I want to mess with the registry. I
    > don't want to re-install XP because I have files I want to keep. I
    > tried "restore" but it doesn't change anything. Is there some way I
    > can boot XP from CD or thumbdrive? Then I can remove the Novell
    > software in Control Panel. Does anyone have any ideas ???

    So, you own the Thinkpad and you're finished with college? You never
    need the Novell log in again? If yes, remove the hard drive and put it
    in a usb enclosure or use a usb drive adapter. Connect the
    enclosure/adapter to a working XP box. Copy off the data you need.

    Now put the hard drive back into the Thinkpad and clean-install Windows
    via whatever the restore process is on your machine. Check with Lenovo
    tech support if you aren't sure. Make sure you install all the Thinkpad
    drivers.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    Malke, Dec 14, 2006

  2. Malke

    David Hettel Guest

    Generally newer IBMs use rescue and recovery. By holding down the
    ThinkVantage key you should be able to boot into the Rescue and recovery
    partition. You may be able to copy what you need from there to an external
    drive. Note that you will need CDs generally 5 or more to recover Windows XP
    you can not do it from just the rescue and recovery partition.

    --
    David Hettel

    E-mail or news groups.

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com