Re: Xnet broadband at dial-up speed for over 2 months now

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by peterwn, May 19, 2007.

  1. peterwn

    peterwn Guest

    On May 19, 11:36 am, "blanking" <blanking@brain> wrote:
    > "blanking" <blanking@brain> wrote in message
    >
    > Simply put they are breaching the fair trading act as their service is not
    > fit for the purpose intended, why has nobody tested this?

    Was it slow from inception or has it just got slow? You may have a
    long grotty line from the exchange in which case AFAIK Telecom will
    upon request terminate the service and refund.

    Have you got an unfiltered device or extension bell, etc lurking
    around?

    The other thing to look out for is whether your internal phone wiring
    is old and grotty (especially if it is '3 wire'). Changing jackpoints
    to the 2 wire type may help, or get a technician to install 'clean'
    wiring and jackpoint for broadband and run the rest of the wiring via
    a hard wired filter (which AFAIK you cannot get through retail
    channels). This is just a thought, I do not know to what extent
    grotty internal wiring slows down broadband, but it is a very distinct
    possibility.
    peterwn, May 19, 2007

  2. "peterwn" <> wrote in message
    > On May 19, 11:36 am, "blanking" <blanking@brain> wrote:
    >> "blanking" <blanking@brain> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Simply put they are breaching the fair trading act as their service is
    >> not
    >> fit for the purpose intended, why has nobody tested this?

    At the moment what is your
    - Physical connetion speed
    - Attenuation
    - SNR
    - Other Details about the DSL connection from your Router
    Craig Whitmore, May 19, 2007

  3. peterwn

    blanking Guest

    "peterwn" <> wrote in message
    > On May 19, 11:36 am, "blanking" <blanking@brain> wrote:
    >> "blanking" <blanking@brain> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Simply put they are breaching the fair trading act as their service is
    >> not
    >> fit for the purpose intended, why has nobody tested this?

    > Was it slow from inception or has it just got slow? You may have a
    > long grotty line from the exchange in which case AFAIK Telecom will
    > upon request terminate the service and refund.
    >
    > Have you got an unfiltered device or extension bell, etc lurking
    > around?
    >
    > The other thing to look out for is whether your internal phone wiring
    > is old and grotty (especially if it is '3 wire'). Changing jackpoints
    > to the 2 wire type may help, or get a technician to install 'clean'
    > wiring and jackpoint for broadband and run the rest of the wiring via
    > a hard wired filter (which AFAIK you cannot get through retail
    > channels). This is just a thought, I do not know to what extent
    > grotty internal wiring slows down broadband, but it is a very distinct
    > possibility.

    No it was not slow from the inception plus I can't see how it could be
    anything you say if my speed is fine once I am downloading, remember it is
    only the requests for connection to a website/file etc... that is very slow,
    once a file is downloading I get constant top speed.
    blanking, May 19, 2007
  4. peterwn

    Richard Guest

    blanking wrote:

    > No it was not slow from the inception plus I can't see how it could be
    > anything you say if my speed is fine once I am downloading, remember it is
    > only the requests for connection to a website/file etc... that is very slow,
    > once a file is downloading I get constant top speed.

    And all your computers are affected with this problem?
    Richard, May 19, 2007
  5. peterwn

    blanking Guest

    "Richard" <> wrote in message
    > blanking wrote:
    >
    >> No it was not slow from the inception plus I can't see how it could be
    >> anything you say if my speed is fine once I am downloading, remember it
    >> is only the requests for connection to a website/file etc... that is very
    >> slow, once a file is downloading I get constant top speed.

    > And all your computers are affected with this problem?

    Yes I have used my old computer independently on this xnet broadband
    connection and had the same problem, my old computer had worked fine with
    xnet the last time i had used it, I have gone through all these obvious
    logical deductions to determine the problem does not lie at my end.
    blanking, May 19, 2007
  6. "peterwn" <> wrote in message
    > On May 19, 11:36 am, "blanking" <blanking@brain> wrote:
    >> "blanking" <blanking@brain> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Simply put they are breaching the fair trading act as their service is
    >> not
    >> fit for the purpose intended, why has nobody tested this?

    > Was it slow from inception or has it just got slow? You may have a
    > long grotty line from the exchange in which case AFAIK Telecom will
    > upon request terminate the service and refund.
    >
    > Have you got an unfiltered device or extension bell, etc lurking
    > around?
    >
    > The other thing to look out for is whether your internal phone wiring
    > is old and grotty (especially if it is '3 wire'). Changing jackpoints
    > to the 2 wire type may help, or get a technician to install 'clean'
    > wiring and jackpoint for broadband and run the rest of the wiring via
    > a hard wired filter (which AFAIK you cannot get through retail
    > channels). This is just a thought, I do not know to what extent
    > grotty internal wiring slows down broadband, but it is a very distinct
    > possibility.

    My broard band speed slowed to dial up and then two months went and I rang
    Xtra and they questioned me on ifI had another phone connected. Yes I said
    and they said that was why. They were right . I unpluged the bedroom phone
    and speed went up to 5 megs from 50 kbps
    Christ's love

    ChristianKnight, May 19, 2007
  7. peterwn

    Matty F Guest

    On May 19, 3:06 pm, "blanking" <blanking@brain> wrote:

    > No it was not slow from the inception plus I can't see how it could be
    > anything you say if my speed is fine once I am downloading, remember it is
    > only the requests for connection to a website/file etc... that is very slow,
    > once a file is downloading I get constant top speed.

    I'm using xtra broadband and I had that delay problem with Internet
    Explorer, which probably you are using. I do not have that delay
    problem with Opera or Mozilla.

    Go to http://www.opera.com/ and get yourself a decent browser.
    Matty F, May 19, 2007
  8. peterwn

    blanking Guest

    "Matty F" <> wrote in message
    > On May 19, 3:06 pm, "blanking" <blanking@brain> wrote:
    >
    >> No it was not slow from the inception plus I can't see how it could be
    >> anything you say if my speed is fine once I am downloading, remember it
    >> is
    >> only the requests for connection to a website/file etc... that is very
    >> slow,
    >> once a file is downloading I get constant top speed.

    > I'm using xtra broadband and I had that delay problem with Internet
    > Explorer, which probably you are using. I do not have that delay
    > problem with Opera or Mozilla.
    >
    > Go to http://www.opera.com/ and get yourself a decent browser.

    Using firefox 2
    blanking, May 19, 2007
  9. peterwn

    blanking Guest

    "ChristianKnight" <> wrote in message

    > "peterwn" <> wrote in message
    >> On May 19, 11:36 am, "blanking" <blanking@brain> wrote:
    >>> "blanking" <blanking@brain> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> Simply put they are breaching the fair trading act as their service is
    >>> not
    >>> fit for the purpose intended, why has nobody tested this?

    >> Was it slow from inception or has it just got slow? You may have a
    >> long grotty line from the exchange in which case AFAIK Telecom will
    >> upon request terminate the service and refund.
    >>
    >> Have you got an unfiltered device or extension bell, etc lurking
    >> around?
    >>
    >> The other thing to look out for is whether your internal phone wiring
    >> is old and grotty (especially if it is '3 wire'). Changing jackpoints
    >> to the 2 wire type may help, or get a technician to install 'clean'
    >> wiring and jackpoint for broadband and run the rest of the wiring via
    >> a hard wired filter (which AFAIK you cannot get through retail
    >> channels). This is just a thought, I do not know to what extent
    >> grotty internal wiring slows down broadband, but it is a very distinct
    >> possibility.
    >>

    > My broard band speed slowed to dial up and then two months went and I rang
    > Xtra and they questioned me on ifI had another phone connected. Yes I said
    > and they said that was why. They were right . I unpluged the bedroom phone
    > and speed went up to 5 megs from 50 kbps
    > Christ's love

    Your talking about a different problem.
    blanking, May 19, 2007
  10. peterwn

    Matty F Guest

    blanking wrote:
    > "Matty F" <> wrote in message
    > > On May 19, 3:06 pm, "blanking" <blanking@brain> wrote:
    > >
    > >> No it was not slow from the inception plus I can't see how it could be
    > >> anything you say if my speed is fine once I am downloading, remember it
    > >> is
    > >> only the requests for connection to a website/file etc... that is very
    > >> slow,
    > >> once a file is downloading I get constant top speed.

    > > I'm using xtra broadband and I had that delay problem with Internet
    > > Explorer, which probably you are using. I do not have that delay
    > > problem with Opera or Mozilla.
    > >
    > > Go to http://www.opera.com/ and get yourself a decent browser.
    > >

    > Using firefox 2

    I had the same long delay problem with Firefox so I uninstalled it and
    got Opera which is going fine. So to summarise, without changing
    anything on my machine, Mozilla and Opera work fine and Internet
    Explorer and Firefox have regular delays of up to 30 seconds. Firefox
    support don't seem to be interested in helping, and only mad people
    use IE.
    I recommend Opera.
    Matty F, May 20, 2007
  11. peterwn

    a_l_p Guest

    Matty F wrote:
    > So to summarise, without changing
    > anything on my machine, Mozilla and Opera work fine and Internet
    > Explorer and Firefox have regular delays of up to 30 seconds. Firefox
    > support don't seem to be interested in helping, and

    ALERT - flame warriors spotted on the horizon

    > only mad people use IE.

    Tinfoil hats at the ready!

    > I recommend Opera.

    I liked Opera too but I'm using foxfire these days and it's OK for me, touch
    wood, fingers crossed etc.

    A L P
    a_l_p, May 20, 2007
  12. peterwn

    Matty F Guest

    On May 20, 7:52 pm, a_l_p <> wrote:
    > Matty F wrote:
    > > So to summarise, without changing
    > > anything on my machine, Mozilla and Opera work fine and Internet
    > > Explorer and Firefox have regular delays of up to 30 seconds. Firefox
    > > support don't seem to be interested in helping, and

    > ALERT - flame warriors spotted on the horizon

    I've been to the Firefox website, searched for all known delay bugs,
    asked questions that have not been answered sensibly and not got an
    answer. Since Opera does not have the delay bug I will not bother
    again with Firefox, and I install Opera on all machines that I
    maintain now.

    > > only mad people use IE.

    > Tinfoil hats at the ready!

    IE is known to have many vulnerabilities so is best avoided.

    Matty F, May 20, 2007
  13. peterwn

    blanking Guest

    "Matty F" <> wrote in message

    > blanking wrote:
    >> "Matty F" <> wrote in message

    >> > I'm using xtra broadband and I had that delay problem with Internet
    >> > Explorer, which probably you are using. I do not have that delay
    >> > problem with Opera or Mozilla.
    >> >
    >> > Go to http://www.opera.com/ and get yourself a decent browser.
    >> >

    >> Using firefox 2

    > I had the same long delay problem with Firefox so I uninstalled it and
    > got Opera which is going fine. So to summarise, without changing
    > anything on my machine, Mozilla and Opera work fine and Internet
    > Explorer and Firefox have regular delays of up to 30 seconds. Firefox
    > support don't seem to be interested in helping, and only mad people
    > use IE.
    > I recommend Opera.

    What speed computer do you have because firefox does have long delays on my
    old p3 550MHz, IE is fine though and firefox is normally fine on my dual
    core machine.
    blanking, May 21, 2007
  14. peterwn

    Matty F Guest

    > > blanking wrote:
    > >> "Matty F" <> wrote in message

    > > I had the same long delay problem with Firefox so I uninstalled it and
    > > got Opera which is going fine. So to summarise, without changing
    > > anything on my machine, Mozilla and Opera work fine and Internet
    > > Explorer and Firefox have regular delays of up to 30 seconds. Firefox
    > > support don't seem to be interested in helping, and only mad people
    > > use IE.
    > > I recommend Opera.

    > What speed computer do you have because firefox does have long delays on my
    > old p3 550MHz, IE is fine though and firefox is normally fine on my dual
    > core machine.

    My computer is around 2500MHz.
    The 30 second delay problem that I was having with IE and Firefox
    occurred after every half dozen or so clicks on links on many
    different web pages. Using Opera or Mozilla fixed the problem. Mozilla
    is getting a bit old now but has features that I need.
    Matty F, May 21, 2007
  15. peterwn

    Thor Guest

    Matty F wrote:

    > My computer is around 2500MHz.
    > The 30 second delay problem that I was having with IE and Firefox
    > occurred after every half dozen or so clicks on links on many
    > different web pages. Using Opera or Mozilla fixed the problem. Mozilla
    > is getting a bit old now but has features that I need.

    The new version of mozilla is called seamonkey.

    --
    Thor, May 21, 2007