Re: Xenon 2

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Kleeb, Aug 8, 2004.

  1. Kleeb

    Kleeb Guest

    On Sun, 08 Aug 2004 08:03:22 GMT, <email snipped> schrieb:

    >Quite simpily the best shootemup ever!

    <snip>

    Creates a file called ''msconfigs.exe' in (typically) C:\Windows\System32\

    Tries to connect to :

    tc-operator2.telecom.cc.cmu.edu [128.2.120.114], port 9500

    There's also a shed load of registry changes going on, according to
    TCMonitor (The Cleaner).

    Post reported to abuse dept. at ntlworld.com

    NOD32 and The Cleaner Professional 4.1 didn't detect anything. What is this
    thing ? Adaware didn't find anything.

    I know I'll probably take some heat for netcopping and
    uninformed-malware-analysis but I've just got to know if this is definitely
    something to worry about, or it was, actually, a spammed game.

    Cordially,

    Kleeb.

    Kleeb, Aug 8, 2004

  2. Kleeb

    Grizebar Guest

    Kleeb <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > On Sun, 08 Aug 2004 08:03:22 GMT, <email snipped> schrieb:
    >

    > I know I'll probably take some heat for netcopping and
    > uninformed-malware-analysis but I've just got to know if this is definitely
    > something to worry about, or it was, actually, a spammed game.
    >
    > Cordially,
    >
    > Kleeb.

    Keep on Kopping! This thing seems to have been started very recently.
    It is currently spammed over every concievable Usenet newsgroup. My
    Avast! virus scanner failed to pick it up, even after I executed the
    Setup.exe trojan generator (by mistake). I sent a copy of the
    Xenon2.zip file to the Avast Forum Administator to check out and
    determine what to do with it. This may become a very large threat if
    not stopped.

    Grizebar, Aug 9, 2004

  3. Kleeb

    Kleeb Guest

    On Monday 09 August 2004 01:23, Grizebar schrieb :

    > Kleeb <> wrote in message
    >> On Sun, 08 Aug 2004 08:03:22 GMT, <email snipped> schrieb:
    >>

    >> I know I'll probably take some heat for netcopping and
    >> uninformed-malware-analysis but I've just got to know if this is
    >> definitely something to worry about, or it was, actually, a spammed game.
    >>
    >> Cordially,
    >>
    >> Kleeb.

    > Keep on Kopping! This thing seems to have been started very recently.
    > It is currently spammed over every concievable Usenet newsgroup. My
    > Avast! virus scanner failed to pick it up, even after I executed the
    > Setup.exe trojan generator (by mistake). I sent a copy of the
    > Xenon2.zip file to the Avast Forum Administator to check out and
    > determine what to do with it. This may become a very large threat if
    > not stopped.

    Thanks for the reply. I too have seen it in a number of groups. I have
    since checked the file again (unzipped) with F-Prot on Linux, still no joy.

    I have seen someone reply to the post too, stating something along the
    lines of ; "yeah, it certainly is !", and that's it.

    Probably just a bit of social engineering or somebody's idea of a joke.

    Cordially,

    Kleeb.

    Kleeb, Aug 9, 2004