Re: X Drive II won't work under Win98SE

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Quaoar, Jul 10, 2003.

  1. Quaoar

    Quaoar Guest

    Alfred Molon wrote:
    > I bought an X-Drive II and inserted a formatted 20GB HDD. Transferring
    > images from the memory cards to the X-Drive seems to work.
    >
    > Then I made the mistake to install the driver software (am using 98SE)
    > without the X-Drive being connected to the computer. After connecting
    > the
    >
    > X-Drive all devices were recognised and installed properly, but the X-
    > Drive just wouldn't show up among the drives. The computer froze
    > (msgsrv32 not responding etc.).
    >
    > I then uninstalled the driver software, connected the X-Drive to the
    > computer, switched it on, tried installing again the driver software -
    > without success. Lots of system freezes. What can I do ?

    Installing drivers into Win98x before connecting the device is the
    proper course. Before doing something precipitous and perhaps
    unnecessary like formatting or reinstalling Win98SE, try this.

    Boot to safe mode. In device manager, expand all categories and look
    for any devices with multiple entries. You should start with the
    Xdrive, but phantoms entries will affect operability so you need to
    remove all of them. Remove all of the higher level devices first, like
    USB devices. Reboot. Now remove any lower level devices, like HD, PCI
    bus, one at a time and reboot in between, letting the OS redetect them.

    When finished with this cleanup, you can add the USB and other
    peripherals one a time. Follow the vendor's instructions if you have
    them (although for Win98x, vendors have it wrong frequently). For USB
    devices, do not connect the device before installing the driver.
    Install the driver, reboot, and then connect the device the first time,
    and direct the OS to the correcct driver if the hardware manager cannot
    identify the exact driver required.

    In every version of Windows, including XP, it is counter-productive to
    Plug and Play a device installation unless it is certain that a driver
    for that device is resident in the OS before the connection is made.
    Connecting a device without its specific driver installed can result in
    a spurious driver being referenced to that device even if the user
    directs the hardware manager to the correct driver with the "have disk"
    option.

    One technique that seems to help Win9x keep its hardware enumeration
    straight, is to reboot into BIOS setup after each hardware installation,
    and set the BIOS to clear NVRAM one time on the next boot, letting the
    reinitialized BIOS NVRAM force the OS to refresh its device enumeration.
    Then reboot immediately. It's tedious, but it works.

    Quaoar, Jul 10, 2003

  2. Quaoar

    HRosita Guest

    Hi,

    while I am still running a very efficient Win98se I am looking forward to a new
    PC and Win XP. Remember, Win98se is 5 years old. As I look around me, I have 4
    USB devices, a USB Hub, two external IEEE1394 (firewire) hard drive, a Zip
    drive, etc.

    Time to update.
    Rosita

    HRosita, Jul 10, 2003

  3. Quaoar

    Alfred Molon Guest

    I did as you wrote, then reinstalled the drivers. When I reconnected the
    X Drive, the same thing happened: computer detects new hardware and
    installs it. Then I start Windows Explorer hoping to see the X Drive and
    nothing happens. Windows Explorer freezes. When I finally switch off the
    X-Drive, Windows Explorer starts living again, briefly shows four
    additional drives (E, F, G and H) which then quickly disappear. Something
    makes the computer freeze when the X-Drive is connected.

    In article <>,
    says...

    --

    Alfred Molon