    storage place. Mostly burn them on CD or something.

    Another question, I have the Sony P9, it records MPEG movies too, so
    does the X-DRive II transfer MPG as well?
    Gundam, Jul 10, 2003

  2. (Gundam) writes:

    > Thanks for all your input. I think I'll go the easy way and buy the
    > one WITH hard drive installed already. Since it says 3 yr warranty on
    > HD, and I won't run into any formatting problems (hopefully) if they
    > install it already.
    >
    > I calculated buy a brand new HD and added to a new X-Drive II case
    > would be about the same price.
    >
    > Gonna go with 15gig, cause HD prices drop every year, might as well
    > start low, then in a few yrs, buy a new HD myself and add in later if
    > needed. I doubt it, I don't plan to use X-Drive II as my main photo
    > storage place. Mostly burn them on CD or something.
    >
    > Another question, I have the Sony P9, it records MPEG movies too, so
    > does the X-DRive II transfer MPG as well?

    The x-drive II just copies all of the files in your media card to the hard disk
    (assuming the media card is formatted as FAT16 or FAT32). It doesn't care what
    the files it is copying contain.

    --
    Michael Meissner
    email:
    Michael Meissner, Jul 10, 2003

  3. Gundam <> wrote:
    >Gonna go with 15gig, cause HD prices drop every year, might as well
    >start low, then in a few yrs, buy a new HD myself and add in later if
    >needed. I doubt it, I don't plan to use X-Drive II as my main photo

    Check the prices - the difference between 20 and 30 is often quite minimal,
    less than $20. You can use it as portable storage.
    --
    Jason O'Rourke www.jor.com
    Jason O'Rourke, Jul 10, 2003
  4. Gundam

    Gundam Guest

    (Jason O'Rourke) wrote in message news:<bek97q$24h3$>...
    > Gundam <> wrote:
    > >Gonna go with 15gig, cause HD prices drop every year, might as well
    > >start low, then in a few yrs, buy a new HD myself and add in later if
    > >needed. I doubt it, I don't plan to use X-Drive II as my main photo

    > Check the prices - the difference between 20 and 30 is often quite minimal,
    > less than $20. You can use it as portable storage.

    I've been reading the forums on:
    http://www.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1023&page=3

    Everyone is telling to upgrade the firmware. One Major prob, my
    laptop is WinXP and the firmware says "Firmware V1.06 -Upgrade under
    Windows 98 / Win2000 only"

    I just ordered it today (July 10), you think it will have the UP TO
    DATE firmware already installed ?

    You think its safe to do it in WinXP ?
    Gundam, Jul 10, 2003
  5. Gundam <> wrote:
    >I've been reading the forums on:
    >http://www.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1023&page=3
    >
    >Everyone is telling to upgrade the firmware. One Major prob, my
    >laptop is WinXP and the firmware says "Firmware V1.06 -Upgrade under
    >Windows 98 / Win2000 only"
    >
    >I just ordered it today (July 10), you think it will have the UP TO
    >DATE firmware already installed ?
    >
    >You think its safe to do it in WinXP ?

    You could probably use a boot disk. I didn't know this firmware actually
    existed yet. People kept talking about it, but I only saw something
    appropriate for XdriveI before. I'll follow the pointer to dpreview
    and see what's going on there.
    --
    Jason O'Rourke www.jor.com
    Jason O'Rourke, Jul 10, 2003
  6. Gundam

    Robertwgross Guest

    Gundam wrote:
    >Everyone is telling to upgrade the firmware. One Major prob, my
    >laptop is WinXP and the firmware says "Firmware V1.06 -Upgrade under
    >Windows 98 / Win2000 only"
    >
    >I just ordered it today (July 10), you think it will have the UP TO
    >DATE firmware already installed ?
    >
    >You think its safe to do it in WinXP ?

    I purchased the old X-Drive I, and it had the same OS statement. I installed it
    fine under XP, and it works fine.

    ---Bob Gross---
    Robertwgross, Jul 10, 2003
  7. Gundam

    Jimmy Guest

    > You could probably use a boot disk. I didn't know this firmware actually
    > existed yet. People kept talking about it, but I only saw something
    > appropriate for XdriveI before. I'll follow the pointer to dpreview
    > and see what's going on there.
    > --
    > Jason O'Rourke www.jor.com

    This won't work unless the boot floppy loads usb drivers. There was a firmware update was for the
    original X-Drive. A check of their website shows there is also one for the X-Drive II.
    http://www.vosonic.com.tw/
    Jimmy, Jul 11, 2003
  8. Gundam

    Gundam Guest

    (Robertwgross) wrote in message news:<>...
    > Gundam wrote:
    > >Everyone is telling to upgrade the firmware. One Major prob, my
    > >laptop is WinXP and the firmware says "Firmware V1.06 -Upgrade under
    > >Windows 98 / Win2000 only"
    > >
    > >I just ordered it today (July 10), you think it will have the UP TO
    > >DATE firmware already installed ?
    > >
    > >You think its safe to do it in WinXP ?

    > I purchased the old X-Drive I, and it had the same OS statement. I installed it
    > fine under XP, and it works fine.
    >
    > ---Bob Gross---

    Thanks B.G. So loading the new firmware under WinXP is okay then?

    According to users on DP Review, installing the new firmware will
    solve the errors from copying fragmented flash memory(s), and also
    prevent errors if the drive was shaken or something during transfer.

    How does one tell what version firmware is INSIDE the X-Drive II ??
    Gundam, Jul 11, 2003