Re: WTF Mozilla?

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by FrozenNorth, Sep 1, 2011.

  1. FrozenNorth

    FrozenNorth Guest

    On 9/01/11 12:23 PM, Robert James wrote:
    > Uncle Robbieboi's story time hour:
    >
    > Thanks to a high speed WLAN connection as well as a power outlet in my
    > general area I decided to update my *nixtop for the first time in a few
    > months... Now it was only a few months ago when I got on the new Mozilla
    > hotness, Firefox 5 --- a new version of an old Netscape workhorse.
    > Version 5, while in beta for several months finally released a stable
    > copy in late June ... It was all new --- in late June. Late June of this
    > year mind you. I want you to remember after over a decade of open
    > Netscape clones --- after ALL that time version * 5 * of Firefox came
    > out... In late June, 2011 A.D.
    >
    > Well the update went fine and I casually checked my version number,
    > 6.0.1... 'O... Wait... WTF Mozilla? Damn it, why is a very minor update
    > of an already recently released browser now a version higher???
    >
    > Of course I run to Wikipedia, just to make sure I'm reading my version
    > number right. HOLY SWEET JESUS MOTHER OF GOD! Seems that version 6 that
    > is one month old is now old and busted... 7.0 Beta 2 is out to testers.
    >
    > So let me get this right, cus this is completely NEW to me... Last I
    > checked version 5 after a long development was brought to the public to
    > much fan fair. Before many people even bothered to CHECK for a MINOR
    > updated they have version 6 hoisted on 'em to their surprise --- and a
    > few DAYS after your working on version 7 --- which is bull cause version
    > 8 is already in development BEFORE a stable release of 7 is out.
    >
    > Wait, GOD DAMN IT --- forget version 8, looks like version 9 is going to
    > be in stable this December! Somebody knock Mozilla over the head before
    > by 2012 we need to install Mozilla Firefox v. 234.01!
    >
    > WTF is this Mozilla???
    >
    > No, really... WTF Mozilla???

    They have gone to rolling releases, on an approximately 6 week schedule,
    similar to what Google Chrome does. I would hate to be an extension
    developer, but apparently it allows new features to be released faster,
    honestly though I can't see much difference between 4 and 6, ignoring 5
    totally. Oh, there is also talk of them hiding the version number
    entirely, and just keep rolling up the number quietly without you seeing.

    --
    Froz...

    FrozenNorth, Sep 1, 2011

  2. FrozenNorth

    Rui Maciel Guest

    FrozenNorth wrote:

    > Oh, there is also talk of them hiding the version number
    > entirely, and just keep rolling up the number quietly without you seeing.

    What good does that do to anyone?

    Rui Maciel

    Rui Maciel, Sep 1, 2011

  3. FrozenNorth

    The Azz Man! Guest

    On Thu, 1 Sep 2011 16:54:00 +0000 (UTC), Robert James wrote:

    >> On 9/01/11 12:23 PM, Robert James wrote:
    >>> Uncle Robbieboi's story time hour:
    >>>
    >>> So let me get this right, cus this is completely NEW to me... Last I
    >>> checked version 5 after a long development was brought to the public to
    >>> much fan fair. Before many people even bothered to CHECK for a MINOR
    >>> updated they have version 6 hoisted on 'em to their surprise --- and a
    >>> few DAYS after your working on version 7 --- which is bull cause
    >>> version 8 is already in development BEFORE a stable release of 7 is
    >>> out.
    >>>
    >>> Wait, GOD DAMN IT --- forget version 8, looks like version 9 is going
    >>> to be in stable this December! Somebody knock Mozilla over the head
    >>> before by 2012 we need to install Mozilla Firefox v. 234.01!
    >>>
    >>> WTF is this Mozilla???
    >>>
    >>> No, really... WTF Mozilla???
    >>>

    >> They have gone to rolling releases, on an approximately 6 week schedule,
    >> similar to what Google Chrome does. I would hate to be an extension
    >> developer, but apparently it allows new features to be released faster,
    >> honestly though I can't see much difference between 4 and 6, ignoring 5
    >> totally. Oh, there is also talk of them hiding the version number
    >> entirely, and just keep rolling up the number quietly without you
    >> seeing.

    > Honestly it is pathetic when I see developers releasing rolling updates
    > for the sole purpose that their adversaries are a number higher. Now
    > understandably this occurs in retail software where a customer may decide
    > to buy a competing product simply because it is v11 compared to the other
    > program at v9. It's one of the major reasons since the mid-90's many
    > software manufactures decided to use years to denounce version numbers. I
    > mean I found it kind of funny that Slackware Linux bumped directly from
    > version 4 to version 7 in a matter of a month or two

    I never understood the big deal about it either. Firefox and Slackware are
    both excellent products. It doesn't matter what number it is, as long as
    it's higher than the last one :)

    --

    Azz
    Blog: www.xcopfly.com

    The Azz Man!, Sep 2, 2011
  4. FrozenNorth

    John Doe Guest

    Robert James <klan_member_bob kkk.com> wrote:

    > Honestly it is pathetic when I see developers releasing rolling
    > updates for the sole purpose that their adversaries are a number
    > higher.

    Honestly it's pathetic when some Joe Blow throws a tantrum about
    useful software he had no role in developing and didn't even pay
    for. What a jerk.

    But seriously, who gives a **** what they do with the version
    numbers.

    John Doe, Sep 2, 2011
  5. FrozenNorth

    Rui Maciel Guest

    John Doe wrote:

    > Honestly it's pathetic when some Joe Blow throws a tantrum about
    > useful software he had no role in developing and didn't even pay
    > for. What a jerk.

    You may interpret it as a "tantrum" and even believe that no one has the
    right to an opinion regarding something which he didn't paid for nor
    developed. Yet, what you must understand is that these stunts are
    inconvenient, and they do inconvenience people. And nowadays, with all the
    competition that the browser market has, including products which are also
    free and that the user also haven't contributed to, then this sort of stunts
    can very well mean that the users, motivated by these inconveniences, simply
    decide to abandon Firefox in favour of a better alternative.

    As some statistics already point out chrome as the second most used browser,
    following IE, then those involved in Firefox either pay attention to the
    inconveniences they are creating or soon they will be as relevant as
    konqueror. Meanwhile, attempts to feel superior to others by whining about
    any form of criticism accomplishes absolutely nothing.

    > But seriously, who gives a **** what they do with the version
    > numbers.

    Those who have to manage installations of that software, along with people
    who invest their time developing extensions for it.

    Rui Maciel

    Rui Maciel, Sep 2, 2011
  6. FrozenNorth

    Rui Maciel Guest

    The Azz Man! wrote:

    > I never understood the big deal about it either. Firefox and Slackware are
    > both excellent products. It doesn't matter what number it is, as long as
    > it's higher than the last one :)

    Not necessarily. This sort of release scheme abandons (at least explicitly)
    the concept of a stable release whose updates don't affect compatibility and
    only incorporate bug fixes. Instead, you only get a sequence of releases
    which may silently break compatibility and introduce new bugs, or even
    include major component rewrites, with all the consequences that brings to
    security and user/admin convenience.

    Rui Maciel

    Rui Maciel, Sep 2, 2011
  7. FrozenNorth

    The Azz Man! Guest

    On Fri, 2 Sep 2011 14:28:04 +0000 (UTC), Robert James wrote:

    > On Thu, 01 Sep 2011 23:47:08 -0400, I imposed a declaration in opposition
    > to The Azz Man!'s motion to modify THE PRELIMINARY INJUNCTION in support
    > of the CROSS MOTION TO VACATE THE PRELIMINARY INJUNCTION. So noted by the
    > Federal Court of Usenet Justice proceeding preliminary declaration,
    > j3pjjv$f3e$:
    >
    >> I never understood the big deal about it either. Firefox and Slackware
    >> are both excellent products. It doesn't matter what number it is, as
    >> long as it's higher than the last one :)

    > Ditto, just my point, You said in one paragraph exactly what I could only
    > rant about.

    Hmm, usually people tell me the opposite.

    --

    Azz
    Blog: www.xcopfly.com

    The Azz Man!, Sep 3, 2011