Re: Would Ansel Adams use Photoshop?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by PeterN, Aug 10, 2012.

  1. PeterN

    PeterN Guest

    On 8/10/2012 11:35 AM, Alfred Molon wrote:
    > By the way, why is AA so famous? Is he the best photographer of all
    > times, the one who invented modern photography or for what other reason
    > is he so special?

    If you really want to know about his reputation, try to see some of his
    original images. I have never seen a reproduction that does justice to
    his work. I have been emotionally moved by his originals.

    --
    Peter
    PeterN, Aug 10, 2012

  2. PeterN

    PeterN Guest

    On 8/11/2012 7:03 AM, Savageduck wrote:
    > On 2012-08-11 05:52:48 -0700, Alfred Molon <> said:
    >
    >> In article <50253cca$0$6445$-secrets.com>, PeterN
    >> says...
    >>> If you really want to know about his reputation, try to see some of his
    >>> original images. I have never seen a reproduction that does justice to
    >>> his work. I have been emotionally moved by his originals.

    >> I googled a bit for his images. Nice shots, but also other contemporary
    >> photographers take good shots and are by far not as famous as him. I
    >> guess if he started again nowadays he probably wouldn't become as
    >> famous.

    > I think your issue is with the word "famous". Why is "fame" so important
    > to you.
    >
    > "Fame" is not what makes one appreciate the work of one photographer
    > over another. It is the work done in his/her own time with the equipment
    > and technology available at the time. In this Adams was unique, as were
    > some of his contemporaries who produced fine photographic work. Just
    > think of Edward Wesson, Dorothea Lange, Walker Evans, and
    > Carier-Bresson, each approached their work differently, but all are
    > considered great photographers.
    >
    > The great factor separating the average photographer from the great, is
    > the ability to use the tools available to produce the best work their
    > mind envisages.

    More important is the ability to see. Even AA hired technicians to use
    the darkroom tools.

    > If these photographers were alive today, I have no
    > doubt, their unique "vision" and ability to adapt equipment throughout
    > their careers to that "vision". Adams would be just as valid in the
    > digital age as he was in his time. Fame is something else altogether.

    Yup!

    > It is always worth reminding one's self that Adams had two other
    > contributions to the public at large. The first is his promotion of
    > wilderness photography, and creating an awareness that the wilderness
    > needed to be preserved and appreciated. The second was his role as a
    > teacher of photography. There are thousands of photographers and
    > darkroom artists who learned from Adams, his work, his classes, and his
    > books.
    >
    > ....and what is a "famous" photographer, a Bailey, an Avedon, a Mathew
    > Brady, an Alexander Gardner, an Alfred Stiegltz, Fellig, Annie Liebowitz?

    Don't forget these guys and those who preceded them.

    <http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011/jun/18/war-photographers-special-report>

    --
    Peter
    PeterN, Aug 11, 2012