Re: worth it to have connector soldered?

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Jeff Strickland, Nov 18, 2011.

  1. "bpuharic" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Had very nice laptop. Dog jumped into lap, and knocked it to floor,
    > breaking the power connector off the motherboard
    >
    > this was a nice computer....is it worth trying to resolder connector
    > to motherboard? are there traces to be soldered? AFAIK it's just the
    > connector...the MB itself is fine (computer runs on batteries)
    >
    > OR could I get a battery replacement that would provide power via the
    > battery from 110V?

    It is a multi-layer board. Odds are slim that you can resolder it. Bad news,
    I know. I also had a power cord break loose from the motherboard, and they
    wanted a new motherboard to fix the problem. It was cheaper in the long run
    to replace the machine.

    Jeff Strickland, Nov 18, 2011

  2. "bpuharic" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 18 Nov 2011 14:20:13 -0800, "Jeff Strickland"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>"bpuharic" <> wrote in message
    >>> Had very nice laptop. Dog jumped into lap, and knocked it to floor,
    >>> breaking the power connector off the motherboard
    >>>
    >>> this was a nice computer....is it worth trying to resolder connector
    >>> to motherboard? are there traces to be soldered? AFAIK it's just the
    >>> connector...the MB itself is fine (computer runs on batteries)
    >>>
    >>> OR could I get a battery replacement that would provide power via the
    >>> battery from 110V?

    >>It is a multi-layer board. Odds are slim that you can resolder it. Bad
    >>news,
    >>I know. I also had a power cord break loose from the motherboard, and they
    >>wanted a new motherboard to fix the problem. It was cheaper in the long
    >>run
    >>to replace the machine.
    >>

    > yeah that sucks. amazing how a simple thing can ruin a great computer.
    > got it on ebay for $200. 64 bit OS, windows 7, 4GB ram, 320GB HD...a
    > shame

    You got it for $200, but to fix it will be $400. You can get a better
    machine, brand new, for $500. Heck, you can probably get a better used
    machine on eBay for less than the cost to repair this one.

    Jeff Strickland, Nov 20, 2011

  3. Jeff Strickland

    Paul Guest

    bpuharic wrote:
    > On Fri, 18 Nov 2011 14:20:13 -0800, "Jeff Strickland"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> "bpuharic" <> wrote in message
    >>> Had very nice laptop. Dog jumped into lap, and knocked it to floor,
    >>> breaking the power connector off the motherboard
    >>>
    >>> this was a nice computer....is it worth trying to resolder connector
    >>> to motherboard? are there traces to be soldered? AFAIK it's just the
    >>> connector...the MB itself is fine (computer runs on batteries)
    >>>
    >>> OR could I get a battery replacement that would provide power via the
    >>> battery from 110V?

    >> It is a multi-layer board. Odds are slim that you can resolder it. Bad news,
    >> I know. I also had a power cord break loose from the motherboard, and they
    >> wanted a new motherboard to fix the problem. It was cheaper in the long run
    >> to replace the machine.
    >>

    > yeah that sucks. amazing how a simple thing can ruin a great computer.
    > got it on ebay for $200. 64 bit OS, windows 7, 4GB ram, 320GB HD...a
    > shame

    Make and model number ???

    I want to find pictures, or a disassembly article.

    Paul

    Paul, Nov 20, 2011
  4. Jeff Strickland

    Paul Guest

    bpuharic wrote:
    > On Sat, 19 Nov 2011 23:55:47 -0500, Paul <> wrote:
    >
    >> bpuharic wrote:

    >>> yeah that sucks. amazing how a simple thing can ruin a great computer.
    >>> got it on ebay for $200. 64 bit OS, windows 7, 4GB ram, 320GB HD...a
    >>> shame

    >> Make and model number ???
    >>
    >> I want to find pictures, or a disassembly article.
    >>
    >> Paul

    > it's a gateway, not sure about the model. if i could only get power
    > to it....

    No identifying sticker anywhere ? No serial number ? If you enter
    the serial number on the manufacturer site, you can be taken to a
    custom support page, and there, the model number will be evident.

    At least one laptop, hides some information in the battery bay.
    Presumably, to protect it from scratches and scrapes. In this photo,
    you can see a model number "MT3422", just below the COA sticker.

    http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r301/jenh82/IMG_4248.jpg

    My Acer has a "plate" glued to the topside, listing vital statistics.
    They add things like that, to make it easier to sell the product
    at retail. I think the model number is on that plate, as well as
    elsewhere.

    Paul

    Paul, Nov 20, 2011