Re: worth it to have connector soldered?

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Paul, Nov 18, 2011.

  1. Paul

    Paul Guest

    bpuharic wrote:
    > Had very nice laptop. Dog jumped into lap, and knocked it to floor,
    > breaking the power connector off the motherboard
    >
    > this was a nice computer....is it worth trying to resolder connector
    > to motherboard? are there traces to be soldered? AFAIK it's just the
    > connector...the MB itself is fine (computer runs on batteries)
    >
    > OR could I get a battery replacement that would provide power via the
    > battery from 110V?

    If you Google the model number of the laptop, there may be
    pictures somewhere of how the connector is installed. And
    from that, you'll be better able to judge how to deal with it.

    On some of the more modern laptops, the DC input is actually
    soldered to a removable board, and all you need is a new little
    board to replace it. No user soldering, no motherboard replacement.
    Just screwdriver work. This picture is an illustration of the
    *size* of the board involved. It's just a tiny thing, with a
    male connector on one end, a female on the other, and a couple
    screws to provide mechanical decoupling (so when you break the
    little board, you don't break the main PCB). It's much cheaper
    than replacing the whole motherboard.

    http://www.notebookparts.com/images/fullsize/DA0CT2PB6D8-_fs.jpg

    Paul
    Paul, Nov 18, 2011