Re: worth bidding on?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by ~misfit~, Sep 18, 2008.

  1. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "thing" typed:
    > http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/Desktops/No-monitor/auction-176743974.htm
    >
    > OK Im tempted!

    Heh! Looks a bit tempting. The seller is realy into hyperbole huh? CPU Speed
    6.4GHz? "Graphics card is still currently retailed over $1000!" LOL.

    They have another with a $750 buy now.

    Really though, for that moeny you can build a basic C2D that'll beat the
    pants off the Dell. Ok, it won't be built like a brick shithouse but
    still...

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Sep 18, 2008

  2. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "thing" typed:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> Somewhere on teh intarweb "thing" typed:
    >>> http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/Desktops/No-monitor/auction-176743974.htm
    >>>
    >>> OK Im tempted!

    >> Heh! Looks a bit tempting. The seller is realy into hyperbole huh?
    >> CPU Speed 6.4GHz? "Graphics card is still currently retailed over $1000!"
    >> LOL.
    >>
    >> They have another with a $750 buy now.
    >>
    >> Really though, for that moeny you can build a basic C2D that'll beat
    >> the pants off the Dell. Ok, it won't be built like a brick shithouse
    >> but still...

    > 2 full 3.2Ghz Xeons....nice big fat server CPUs....at $500 it would
    > tempt me....it does tempt me....swap out the video card....

    LOL @ "nice big fat server CPUs".

    Seirously though, a couple years ago this machine would have been the
    shiznit. Now an E8400 would wipe the floor with it. C2D tech is waaay more
    powerful than these 'old' Xeons. Or is the ad not clear? Are they 2 x
    dual-core Xeons? (Still not C2D tech though[?]) The Precision 470 supports
    dual-core Xeons but I'm having trouble finding out more. It'd be nice to
    know exactly *what* CPUs are in this, as in model number.

    The graphics card is from '04 so I'm picking the Xeons are that era too.
    Space heaters.

    Still, @ $500 (I pick it'll go to $700+ though) it might be worth buying and
    trying to recoup some of the money by selling the graphics card.... At the
    very least it would heat the room. ;-)

    If I didn't already have more computing power than I needed I'd be tempted
    to get the Visa out....

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Sep 18, 2008

  3. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "thingy" typed:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> Somewhere on teh intarweb "thing" typed:

    >>> 2 full 3.2Ghz Xeons....nice big fat server CPUs....at $500 it would
    >>> tempt me....it does tempt me....swap out the video card....

    >> LOL @ "nice big fat server CPUs".
    >>
    >> Seirously though, a couple years ago this machine would have been the
    >> shiznit. Now an E8400 would wipe the floor with it. C2D tech is
    >> waaay more powerful than these 'old' Xeons. Or is the ad not clear?
    >> Are they 2 x dual-core Xeons? (Still not C2D tech though[?]) The
    >> Precision 470 supports dual-core Xeons but I'm having trouble
    >> finding out more. It'd be nice to know exactly *what* CPUs are in
    >> this, as in model number. The graphics card is from '04 so I'm picking
    >> the Xeons are that era
    >> too. Space heaters.
    >>
    >> Still, @ $500 (I pick it'll go to $700+ though) it might be worth
    >> buying and trying to recoup some of the money by selling the
    >> graphics card.... At the very least it would heat the room. ;-)
    >>
    >> If I didn't already have more computing power than I needed I'd be
    >> tempted to get the Visa out....
    >>
    >> Cheers,

    > Its hyperthreaded Xeon CPUs...at 3.2Ghz...and a real pair...even today
    > 3.2Ghz is not to be sneezed at...I was day dreaming and building my
    > dream box and it came out to $2700! just for the box....
    >
    > :(

    Wow! When you dream you dream in colour! <g>

    > Then I saw this....thought, add ATI 4850 $350....it would a good
    > occasional games machines for that $.

    Yes, a 4850 shouldn't be held back by those CPUs. Unlike some of the
    gruntier cards (according to Tom's) which find that even a 2.93GHz C2D can't
    'feed' them enough.

    > I hate logic :p

    lol, I try to avoid it.

    > You are right it would be a hotty....but as a comparison they were
    > selling P2.8Ghz Dell's at work for $350...I'd rather buy that thing
    > for a bit more....it would run rings around the P4 2.8 Ghz...

    Oh yeah.... It's quite pretty too, in a geeky way. ;-)

    Oh, I was wrong (highly unusual, must mark the calendar. <g>) It sold for
    $530. I would have waved the Visa at it for that and (probably) stripped it
    for parts / sale if I'd got it for around there. However, it was probably a
    determined buyer (lol, was it you?) who may have gone a lot higher faced
    with another bidder.

    >What put
    > me off was its all proprietry, if anything dies its all scrap....If
    > it was bog std parts...

    Know what you mean, I have a couple old Poweredge servers here (I'd already
    flogged off the PERC2s on Tradme when you were in need of one, running on
    on-board SCSI). They are certainly proprietary but they're built...

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Sep 18, 2008
  4. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs "thingy" typed:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    > 8><---
    >> Cheers,

    > arrg post got lost!
    >
    > Anyway, was not me....$2700 is way too much....DSE are doing a $1300
    > Acer multi-media special at the moment, so I could throw in a 4850 and
    > it will (have to) do me. Has a tuner card so I can watch the
    > election....1 yr interest free...bog std parts (they opened one for
    > me) so in hardware terms I can upgrade it easily later....
    >
    > http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/48d40461017ca2782740c0a87f3b06af/Product/View/XC4844

    Hmmm, DSE have upgraded their site. I hope it was more than cosmetic, that
    took a while to load (I used to get "Site busy" messages from DSE sometimes)
    and, after a cursory look-over, doesn't seem to have any more functionality
    than the previous layout.

    > Does not come with a VISTA cdrom restore/install cd though...worried
    > on that one. Also not sure what happens if I upgrade the video card, I
    > assume no issues.

    It probably has a 'restore' partition.

    It's a reasonable buy but, personally, I'd build a box for about the same
    money (or even less) and use premium parts with all solid capacitors etc. I
    can see the attraction of buying a 'unit' but, if you're going to be
    breaking into it to upgrade then I'd rather have individual components
    warrantied. Also I get a buzz from building PCs so it's a personal thing I
    guess.

    Oh, and if I was building I'd still go Intel, and dual over quad, especially
    if I was building to a price-point or thermal dissapation target.

    (Did you read Tom's Dual Vs Quad write up? It had a few too many differences
    between the CPUs tested for my liking but was interesting nontheless.)

    > M/board and CPU...vista may not work? dunno need to do research.
    >
    > That's what I love about Linux...download a free cd and do what you
    > want, none of this artificial limitations cwap.

    Yeah, I must get off the MS tit sometime. Trouble is, I get my kicks for
    timkering with hardware, not software. I find that, in life as well as in
    computing, it pays to keep the number of variables to a minimum, and
    preferably stick to the ones you know most about.

    Cheers, hope you're fully recovered and enjoy your weekend. Looks like it
    may be fine (at least up here).

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Sep 19, 2008
  5. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs "thing" typed:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:

    Ummm, I lost your other post yesterday, went to reply, got distracted,
    closed programmes when I came back to 'puter..

    >> It's a reasonable buy but,

    > Think I will leave it for now...been doing some digging and Noel
    > Lemmings margin is too big at the moment....maybe on a stat day sale
    > if $2~300 is taken off or in the new year....we will see...funny how
    > its obsolete....the Q6600 I mean....

    LOL, yeah. It was a very popular CPU for a while there. Still is actually,
    still on Ascent's list of most popular CPUs.

    I remember you saying about a projected life-time of 3 years so not making
    your own machine out of premium parts is the prefered option. (and that it'd
    cost more?) I still think you can have similarly-specced machine for the
    same money, with better parts, without having things like "the graphics card
    is a bit underpowered".

    Also, if you *do* have a three-year turn around you'll find that if you're
    selling the 'old' machine you'll get far more for it as quality parts on
    Trademe than you would for a three-year-old Acer or similar which also
    allows you to keep some of the parts towards your next build if required.
    There are always folks looking to replace their POS mobo (for instance) in
    relatively recent machines with a better, compatable part.

    [Going OT, newsgroup nazis read no further]

    Hope the cold clears up soon. I'm further crippling myself this weekend
    putting in a raised bed garden. I'm pushing past my limits, medicated to
    oblivion, (save some from the not-so-bad times for when I need the extra)
    but have to do it now if I want to take advantage of a good length growing
    season and if I want my neighbour's help with the hardest bits. I'm just
    waiting to see the neighbour poke his head out the door, he went out last
    night so will be nursing a hang-over. I'll be nursing a worse back for the
    week. <shrug> Needs to be done if I want to eat anything with my noodles
    this summer.

    I wish there was an NZ gardening group where folks could share knowledge /
    seeds etc.. I'm sure a lot more folks are getting into growing as much food
    as they can, the people at the garden centres / Mitre 10 / The Warehouse say
    that they can't keep up with demand for vege plants and equipment, that this
    year's demand is more than double last year.

    Planted in last couple weeks:

    Tomatoes [4 varieties]
    Lettuce [Mixed, loose-leaf so I can harvest just as much as needed]
    Silverbeet
    Dwarf green beans
    Sugar snap peas
    Radish
    Spring onions
    Sweetcorn
    Capsicum
    Chili
    Watercress

    Corinader
    Parsley
    Chives
    Thyme
    Oregano

    Strawberries
    Passionfruit
    Cape Gooseberries
    Tamarillo

    Have hit the Visa for about $350 in plants / materials [and the stash of
    spare pain meds for near everything]. Some of that will be good for a few
    years, the raised beds will make it easier on my back to tend / weed them,
    some of the fruit will last years and I'll let one of each vege plant go to
    seed so I don't need to keep buying seed / plants. I've built (with help) a
    mini greenhouse on top of the railing on the back deck so should be able to
    start my own plants off early next spring.

    Oh well, better go check on the wakefulness of neighbours. I've been trying
    to avoid buying a wheelbarrow but I dislike having to keep asking to borrow
    one and have trouble carrying much without it. Damn! They were on special at
    The Warehouse a couple weeks ago, $80, down from ~$110 for a reasonable one
    but I figured I could do without it. <sigh> Might have to hit the Visa
    again. Now's a good time to rack up debt right? LOL. Gotta eat, I've lost
    20% of my body weight in the last 6 months, not a bad thing really.
    Efficiency is everything in these hard [gonna get harder] times.

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Sep 21, 2008
  6. Re: nz.gardening was worth bidding on?

    On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 11:27:29 +1200, "~misfit~" <> wrote:
    [msge snipped]

    >I wish there was an NZ gardening group where folks could share knowledge /
    >seeds etc.. I'm sure a lot more folks are getting into growing as much food
    >as they can, the people at the garden centres / Mitre 10 / The Warehouse say
    >that they can't keep up with demand for vege plants and equipment, that this
    >year's demand is more than double last year.

    There is a group on Garden Web but I haven't been there for the longest time so don't know how
    active it is now.
    Let me find the url for ya.

    >Planted in last couple weeks:
    >
    >Tomatoes [4 varieties]

    Good luck - we went straight from a mild winter to summer so tomatoes didn't last past June.
    I just got enough to make relish before they karked it. However, I have flowers on two cherries I
    now have growing in pots. We can grow toms south facing until the first frost - or like last
    year, well into January [eat your heart out lol].
    Many of my plants were from toms I threw on the ground when I ripped out plants earlier this year.

    >Lettuce [Mixed, loose-leaf so I can harvest just as much as needed]

    Mine went to seed because of the weather.

    >Silverbeet

    Grows all year round here. Strangely Americans prefer spinach most likely because you can buy
    frozen blocks cheap.

    >Dwarf green beans
    >Sugar snap peas
    >Radish -

    Only grow to mark rows...

    >Spring onions

    at .99c a big bundle, not worth growing!
    Do they have Egyptian walking onions in NZ?

    >Sweetcorn

    Another cheapy to buy here.

    >Capsicum

    Starting to come away again now it's cooling off.
    Do you grow the coloured ones?

    >Chili

    What kind do you grow?
    I only grew jalepenos this year whoops sorry, I have chile tepin bushes in the rock garden lol...
    It's not worth growing many here as the supermarket has bins where you can buy it as you want i.e.
    just a few to several kilo.

    >Watercress
    >
    >Corinader

    Went to seed! We use it as cilantro in Mexican cooking/salsas.
    >Parsley

    Just lost my 15 month old plant.
    >Chives

    Grows like the proverbial weed here!
    >Thyme
    >Oregano

    Both in their second season.
    I just let basil seed and grow on the next year.
    Have a rosemary bush now about 4 ft high!
    Keep mint in a large bowl.

    >Strawberries
    >Passionfruit

    The birds just got mine - buggar... no show of any more now as the gulf fitillary butterfly
    caterpillars ate the vines bare. What variety of passiflora do you grow?

    >Cape Gooseberries
    >Tamarillo

    Leeks? Cor I love them - easy to grow!
    Cukes - was too hot too early and they didn't do anything :-(

    The problem here is it gets very hot some years we really don't have a spring!
    Caulis are a no-go, cabbage, broccoli, carrots etc are cheaper to buy than mess with.

    >Have hit the Visa for about $350 in plants / materials [and the stash of
    >spare pain meds for near everything]. Some of that will be good for a few
    >years, the raised beds will make it easier on my back to tend / weed them,
    >some of the fruit will last years and I'll let one of each vege plant go to
    >seed so I don't need to keep buying seed / plants. I've built (with help) a
    >mini greenhouse on top of the railing on the back deck so should be able to
    >start my own plants off early next spring.

    Some of the best seeds I've gotten have been 10c a pkt out of the likes of our local tractor supply
    store and Walmart!

    The oh bought me a Troybuilt 7hp tiller when I first said I wanted a garden...
    The first day using it, we had numerous people from the hood stop and ask how much to hire or do
    their garden - no way... We bought it as it was only like US$500 at the time v nearly $90 a day to
    hire one!

    Each year the garden size has decreased quite a bit as we found rapidly what grows and what doesn't
    v availability in the stores etc. Fortunately we have our own water well so cost of watering is
    not a problem.

    This year is the first year we have not had to use any bug spray etc on the garden.
    Fertiliser - we just buy a general purpose one from the cotton growers co-op.
    Our pride this year is our huge grapefruit tree which for the first time, is loaded!
    It was a seed one of the oh's great-nieces planted and grew! We had a handful of fruit on it two
    years ago but nothing major until now. Pity we aren't going to be here otherwise the fruit would
    be marmalade!

    >Oh well, better go check on the wakefulness of neighbours. I've been trying
    >to avoid buying a wheelbarrow but I dislike having to keep asking to borrow
    >one and have trouble carrying much without it. Damn! They were on special at
    >The Warehouse a couple weeks ago, $80, down from ~$110 for a reasonable one
    >but I figured I could do without it. <sigh> Might have to hit the Visa
    >again. Now's a good time to rack up debt right? LOL. Gotta eat, I've lost
    >20% of my body weight in the last 6 months, not a bad thing really.
    >Efficiency is everything in these hard [gonna get harder] times.
    >
    >Cheers,

    Good luck!

    Cath

    texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit.usacom.., Sep 21, 2008
  7. Re: nz.gardening was worth bidding on?

    On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 23:49:55 -0500, texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit.usacom.. wrote:

    >On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 11:27:29 +1200, "~misfit~" <> wrote:
    >[msge snipped]
    >
    >>I wish there was an NZ gardening group where folks could share knowledge /
    >>seeds etc.. I'm sure a lot more folks are getting into growing as much food
    >>as they can, the people at the garden centres / Mitre 10 / The Warehouse say
    >>that they can't keep up with demand for vege plants and equipment, that this
    >>year's demand is more than double last year.

    >There is a group on Garden Web but I haven't been there for the longest time so don't know how
    >active it is now.
    >Let me find the url for ya.

    http://www.au.gardenweb.com/forums/

    I haven't time to open the NZ one but have a look at what's there!

    Cath

    texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit.usacom.., Sep 21, 2008
  8. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Re: ~

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs "thingy" typed:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> Somewhere on teh intarwebs "thing" typed:
    >>> its obsolete....the Q6600 I mean....

    >> LOL, yeah. It was a very popular CPU for a while there.

    > It was what I wanted...
    >
    > :/
    >
    > Still is actually,

    LOL. I considered getting one when I bought my first C2D (E4500). I was
    building a Q6600 system for a mate anyway... I still don't *need* one. I've
    read a bit and everything seems to confirm what I know anyway, for what I
    use my PC for a faster dual is better than a slower quad. (I have my E7300
    clocked to 3.5GHz and there's no quad under $1K that would likely do that
    speed anyway...)

    >> I remember you saying about a projected life-time of 3 years so not
    >> making your own machine out of premium parts is the prefered option.

    > Not so much preferred as thinking of "balanced", the depreciation on
    > an old expensive board v a basic? not sure. Also Im not an
    > over-clocker so, I dont need really premium hardware to get the last
    > gasp.

    For shame! <g>

    >> (and that it'd
    >> cost more?) I still think you can have similarly-specced machine for
    >> the same money, with better parts, without having things like "the
    >> graphics card is a bit underpowered".

    > The target to beat is $1399...Im bored, lets see....
    >
    > Based on pp's pricing
    > Case ~ $120 (with no particular name brand PSU).
    > CPU ~ $340
    > RAM, 4Gb ~ $160
    > Motherboard, its a 4~6 sata port job with 4 ram slots so I dont see
    > getting a <$120 board. ~ $160 (Gigabyte)
    > 8600GT 512Meg.... ~ $110
    > 500Sata drive ~ $120
    > TV tuner ~
    > DVD burner ~ $60
    > Wireless card. ~
    > Multi card reader ~ $20
    >
    > plus vista premium ~ $220
    >
    > Some other keen type to assemble it as I am so past that.
    >
    > $65
    >
    > So, $1395
    >
    > pp also want a credit card margin (circa $40) and I would have to pay
    > 13.3% of interest for a year ($120?), I will ignore as I would have to
    > pay interest free start up which would add about $70 anyway.
    >
    > v $1399....
    >
    > The mark up is not much......

    I was thinking another big consideration for building your own was choice.
    F'r instance when you mentioned that PC you said the graphics card was a bit
    weak. I (perhaps wrongly) took that to mean that, if you bought that
    machine, you'd swap out the card. That's a recipe for losing money, having
    to flog off an underpowered second-hand card, the market is flooded with
    them.

    > Another one I saw was a bit more costly....but was a better box, had
    > some bits I would like (TV Tuner) and better cooling and could hold 5
    > disks and had a Q9300...
    >
    > TV tuner ~ $94
    > Wireless card. ~ $0 (dont want it)
    > Q9300 CPU ~ $430 ~ $100 (net)
    > External drive docking port $0 (dont want it)
    >
    > 19inch LCD ~ $280
    > Keyboard (wireless) ~ $50
    > usb infra Mouse ~ $20
    >
    > $1395 + $94 + $100 = $1589 v $1999 (just the box)

    $410, a not inconsiderable sum.

    > $1589 +$70 +$280 = $1939 v $2199 (package)

    Hmm, not so great there. Still, $260 is worth having.

    > So with bog std parts, I'd save a bit...but not a huge amount.

    Yeah, as I mentioned, one of the big pluses is that you can configure to
    your specs. However, I'd be inclined to upgrade quality rather than save as
    such. That way you're more likely to have a trouble-free computing
    experience and you'll have better re-sale value at EOL.

    >> Also, if you *do* have a three-year turn around you'll find that if
    >> you're selling the 'old' machine you'll get far more for it as
    >> quality parts on Trademe than you would for a three-year-old Acer or
    >> similar which also allows you to keep some of the parts towards your
    >> next build if required.

    > Looking inside its very standard, so I assume it would be a new PSU
    > (maybe) and motherboard, ram and cpu...
    >
    > Yes the m/board would be worthless but the Ram and CPU would be same
    > same.
    >> There are always folks looking to replace their POS mobo (for
    >> instance) in relatively recent machines with a better, compatable
    >> part. [Going OT, newsgroup nazis read no further]
    >>
    >> Hope the cold clears up soon.

    > Im better, now she who must be obeyed is working me to death...Ive
    > been cleaning all day.

    LOL, ain't that the way?

    >> I'm further crippling myself this weekend
    >> putting in a raised bed garden. I'm pushing past my limits,
    >> medicated to oblivion, (save some from the not-so-bad times for when
    >> I need the extra) but have to do it now if I want to take advantage
    >> of a good length growing season and if I want my neighbour's help
    >> with the hardest bits. I'm just waiting to see the neighbour poke
    >> his head out the door, he went out last night so will be nursing a
    >> hang-over. I'll be nursing a worse back for the week. <shrug>
    >> Needs to be done if I want to eat anything with my noodles
    >> this summer.
    >>
    >> I wish there was an NZ gardening group where folks could share
    >> knowledge / seeds etc..

    > I know some things....but not much....think you are ahead of me.
    >
    >> I'm sure a lot more folks are getting into growing as much food
    >> as they can, the people at the garden centres / Mitre 10 / The
    >> Warehouse say that they can't keep up with demand for vege plants
    >> and equipment, that this year's demand is more than double last year.

    > Yep...
    >
    >> Planted in last couple weeks:
    >>
    >> Tomatoes [4 varieties]
    >> Lettuce [Mixed, loose-leaf so I can harvest just as much as needed]
    >> Silverbeet

    > yep

    Gotta be the easiest to grow vegetable there is IMO.

    >> Dwarf green beans
    >> Sugar snap peas

    > snow peas.

    Mmmm, yeah, similar. I couldn't find any snow pea seeds. Sugar snaps are a
    bit "meatier", more substance than snow peas. Bulk is good. <g>

    >> Radish
    >> Spring onions
    >> Sweetcorn
    >> Capsicum
    >> Chili
    >> Watercress
    >>
    >> Corinader

    > Yep x 2
    >
    >> Parsley

    > Its wild in my gareden, both types.
    >
    >> Chives
    >> Thyme
    >> Oregano

    > Yep
    >
    > and rosemerry

    I contemplated replacing the rosemary plant that dies a couple years back
    However, i hardly used it as it's best (IMO) with meat, specifically lamb /
    mutton / goat, none of which I can afford often.

    >> Strawberries

    > Lots, 11 more plants this year, bought 6 5 were from last year's off
    > shoots. $2 a plant is too much.

    I got 12 plants for $20. One of the dietary advice things I was given said
    to eat lots of strawberries as they're high in anti-oxidants and vitamins. I
    had to laugh, I wonder who puts these things together. Giving that sort of
    nutrition advice to some one on a benefit who hasn't even eaten *one*
    strawberry for most of a decade would be funny if it wasn't so sad.

    So anyway, I saw the plants and thought "#%*& it, why not?" It's the only
    way I'm going to get to eat strawberries.

    >> Passionfruit

    > wondering about these.

    Yeah, I love 'em but they're so freaking expensive whenever I see them. As I
    recall from childhood they're relatively easy to grow, produce OK if
    neglected and, if taken care of by feeding during spring / summer pay you
    back in spades by setting a good harvest.

    >> Cape Gooseberries

    > Planned

    Another thing that I used to eat as a kid. Now they're twice the price of
    strawberries and are being touted as a "superfood"

    >> Tamarillo

    > maybe.

    I picked up a young tree at a garage sale and apparently they'll do alright
    in a tub if taken care of. Actually, I'm not that keen on the fruit but WTF,
    it's (again) high in anti-oxidants and vitamins.

    > Looking for a ultima fejaio...also thinking about 3 table olive trees
    > on the south fence, would annoy neighbour and not me.
    >
    > Also 3 ~ 6 blueberry, need to find which sorts quite hardy apparantly.

    Yeah. I rent so am loathe to invest too much "in the ground". I planted a
    Meyer lemon tree out last year after the half-barrel I had it in fell to
    bits. :-(

    > Loosing weight isnt bad.

    True. I just find it ironic that I'd have liked to have been carrying less
    eight when I was younger and "in the market" but always struggled to get it
    off and keep it off. (Was even bulimic [before I knew there was a name for
    it] for a while and have a scarred oesophagus to prove it.) Now I've found a
    radical new diet that really works! Poverty. I've never looked so good (if
    you ignore the balding head and white beard). I haven't been this weight
    since I was about 15.

    > Ive been instructed to loose 10kgs....so now not only is she working
    > me to death Im being starved as well!
    >
    > :/

    LOL. Seriously though, good luck with that. I feel better carrying less
    weight.

    Yeah, I'm down 22kg from 2 years ago to 97kg. I had been around 105 most of
    my adult life but since I hurt my back have found it really hard to keep the
    weight down due to not being able to excercise much without being in pain.
    Too easy to say "Bugger that" and stop excercising. Then I gave up smoking
    four years ago and put a bit more on.....

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Sep 21, 2008
  9. ~misfit~

    Craig Sutton Guest

    <texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit.usacom..> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 23:49:55 -0500,
    > texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit.usacom.. wrote:
    >
    >>On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 11:27:29 +1200, "~misfit~" <>
    >>wrote:
    >>[msge snipped]
    >>
    >>>I wish there was an NZ gardening group where folks could share knowledge
    >>>/
    >>>seeds etc.. I'm sure a lot more folks are getting into growing as much
    >>>food
    >>>as they can, the people at the garden centres / Mitre 10 / The Warehouse
    >>>say
    >>>that they can't keep up with demand for vege plants and equipment, that
    >>>this
    >>>year's demand is more than double last year.

    >>There is a group on Garden Web but I haven't been there for the longest
    >>time so don't know how
    >>active it is now.
    >>Let me find the url for ya.
    >>>

    > http://www.au.gardenweb.com/forums/
    >
    > I haven't time to open the NZ one but have a look at what's there!
    >
    > Cath

    Lol a "NZ gardeing forum" based in Australia

    Sounds like a niche forum / website someone might like to start up.

    Or is there a more local one up already?

    Craig Sutton, Sep 21, 2008
  10. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Re: nz.gardening was worth bidding on?

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs
    "texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit.usacom.." typed:
    > On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 11:27:29 +1200, "~misfit~"
    > <> wrote: [msge snipped]
    >
    >> I wish there was an NZ gardening group where folks could share
    >> knowledge / seeds etc.. I'm sure a lot more folks are getting into
    >> growing as much food as they can, the people at the garden centres /
    >> Mitre 10 / The Warehouse say that they can't keep up with demand for
    >> vege plants and equipment, that this year's demand is more than
    >> double last year.

    > There is a group on Garden Web but I haven't been there for the
    > longest time so don't know how active it is now.
    > Let me find the url for ya.

    I signed up a couple days ago but it seems pretty dead. I've never been keen
    on web forums, I like usenet. I'm crossing this (and my reply to thing) to
    nz.rec as it's a pretty-much dead group. Might as well use it for something.
    The last time there was a flurry of posts there was a couple years ago when
    a few of us talked about Formula 1.

    >> Planted in last couple weeks:
    >>
    >> Tomatoes [4 varieties]

    > Good luck - we went straight from a mild winter to summer so tomatoes
    > didn't last past June.
    > I just got enough to make relish before they karked it. However, I
    > have flowers on two cherries I now have growing in pots. We can
    > grow toms south facing until the first frost - or like last year,
    > well into January [eat your heart out lol].
    > Many of my plants were from toms I threw on the ground when I ripped
    > out plants earlier this year.

    I've always had good luck with tomatoes except last year when I used seed
    that I kept from some yummy tomatoes that I bought in the supermarket. They
    must have been F1 hybrids or needed specific conditions as the huge, healthy
    plants bore so much fruit that most of the lower sprays broke, so I thinned
    each spray back to 8 fruit but they all rotted before they ripened.

    >> Lettuce [Mixed, loose-leaf so I can harvest just as much as needed]

    > Mine went to seed because of the weather.

    I'm new to growing a lot of veges (other than the requisite intarwebs
    searching) so I'll let you know how mine go. <g>

    >> Silverbeet

    > Grows all year round here.

    Last time I grew it it lasted over 2 years and was still going strong when I
    moved.

    > Strangely Americans prefer spinach most
    > likely because you can buy frozen blocks cheap.

    They call it "Swiss Chard" no?

    >> Dwarf green beans
    >> Sugar snap peas
    >> Radish -

    > Only grow to mark rows...

    I see myself eating a *lot* of salads so am going for as big a variety of
    salad veges as I can (within the constraints of my small gardens). I'm quite
    partial to the heat of radishes.

    >> Spring onions

    > at .99c a big bundle, not worth growing!

    LOL, oh to have money! ~$2 a 'bunch' here, consisting of 4 - 5 stems. That's
    up to 50c each. I only have to grow 60 (already planted out more than that)
    and I've saved myself enough money to buy a bottle of whisky. Heh! If
    only... Paying the bills always comes first and there's hardly ever money
    left after that for a 'second'.

    > Do they have Egyptian walking onions in NZ?

    No, they passed through though. <g>

    WTF are Egyptian walking onions? I guess Google will tell me.

    Hehee! Sorta like mutant Tiger-Lillies. No, I've never seen those before.

    >> Sweetcorn

    > Another cheapy to buy here.

    Usually $1 a cob here. Rarely and briefly cheaper, but not much, for a week
    or two.

    >> Capsicum

    > Starting to come away again now it's cooling off.
    > Do you grow the coloured ones?

    I've only just started with them. Have red "Californian Wonder" seeds in
    seed trays right now, was going to buy some punnets of yellow seedlings but,
    when I went back for them they'd sold out.

    >> Chili

    > What kind do you grow?

    So far I only have a couple small "Wildfire" plants in and they haven't
    borne fruit yet. Most of the things I'm growing I'm either new to or haven't
    grown since I helped dad in the garden. I've been looking for some jalapeno
    seeds but iut's crazy in NZ at the moment. Everywhere is selling out of veg
    seed and plants.

    > I only grew jalepenos this year whoops sorry, I have chile tepin
    > bushes in the rock garden lol... It's not worth growing many here as
    > the supermarket has bins where you can buy it as you want i.e. just a
    > few to several kilo.
    >
    >> Watercress
    >>
    >> Corinader

    > Went to seed!

    LOL, it wouldn't be coriander if it didn't. As you so rightly mention below,
    it's cilantro until it seeds, then it's called coriander. I should have
    written cilantro myself as mine is still in the vegetative stage.

    > We use it as cilantro in Mexican cooking/salsas.
    >> Parsley

    > Just lost my 15 month old plant.

    I have curled in, will get flat soon. On a budget. :) In the past I've
    always re-started a new plant (or three) each year.

    >> Chives

    > Grows like the proverbial weed here!

    Here too once established.

    >> Thyme
    >> Oregano

    > Both in their second season.
    > I just let basil seed and grow on the next year.
    > Have a rosemary bush now about 4 ft high!
    > Keep mint in a large bowl.

    Yeah, that's why I haven't got any yet. It's on the list but will be in it's
    own container.

    >> Strawberries
    >> Passionfruit

    > The birds just got mine - buggar...

    I've never known birds to touch them. Then again, it's been a few years
    since I saw any growing.

    > no show of any more now as the
    > gulf fitillary butterfly caterpillars ate the vines bare. What
    > variety of passiflora do you grow?

    I have the purple variety. The label doesn;'t give the scientific name.

    When I lived on Norfolk Island I used to eat the yellow ones (round, not
    "banana passionfruit"), they called them "Hawaiian Passionfruit" and they
    were damn delicious! However, I've never seen them here.

    >> Cape Gooseberries
    >> Tamarillo
    >>

    > Leeks? Cor I love them - easy to grow!

    I've never been an eater of leeks.

    > Cukes - was too hot too early and they didn't do anything :-(

    Likewise, I don't like cukes.

    > The problem here is it gets very hot some years we really don't have
    > a spring!
    > Caulis are a no-go, cabbage, broccoli, carrots etc are cheaper to buy
    > than mess with.

    Yeah, well you essentially live in the tropics, in a semi-arid area so it's
    no surprise you can't grow 'winter vegetables'. <g>

    >> Have hit the Visa for about $350 in plants / materials [and the
    >> stash of spare pain meds for near everything]. Some of that will be
    >> good for a few years, the raised beds will make it easier on my back
    >> to tend / weed them, some of the fruit will last years and I'll let
    >> one of each vege plant go to seed so I don't need to keep buying
    >> seed / plants. I've built (with help) a mini greenhouse on top of
    >> the railing on the back deck so should be able to start my own
    >> plants off early next spring.

    > Some of the best seeds I've gotten have been 10c a pkt out of the
    > likes of our local tractor supply store and Walmart!

    I've been buying from Trademe a bit, "heirloom seeds", older varieties that
    tend to be hardy and set seed that grow true to form.

    Oh, I've got some rhubarb seeds in but won't see a harvest from those for a
    couple years from what i understand

    > The oh bought me a Troybuilt 7hp tiller when I first said I wanted a
    > garden...
    > The first day using it, we had numerous people from the hood stop and
    > ask how much to hire or do their garden - no way... We bought it as
    > it was only like US$500 at the time v nearly $90 a day to hire one!

    That'd be a roto-tiller? What us folks call a rotary hoe? I used to 'drive'
    dad's for him as a lad.

    > Each year the garden size has decreased quite a bit as we found
    > rapidly what grows and what doesn't v availability in the stores etc.
    > Fortunately we have our own water well so cost of watering is not a
    > problem.

    Yeah, as mentioned, I've not been gardening much (other than toms) in recent
    years so a lot of this is new to me and the rest is old. LOL. Hopefully it
    works out. I seem to do well growing things, everyone comments on my
    houseplants...

    > Good luck!

    Thanks Cath. Hopefully I'm not leaving too much to luck, except obviously
    the weather...

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Sep 21, 2008
  11. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Re: nz.gardening was worth bidding on?

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs
    "texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit.usacom.." typed:
    > On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 23:49:55 -0500,
    > texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit.usacom.. wrote:
    >
    >> On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 11:27:29 +1200, "~misfit~"
    >> <> wrote: [msge snipped]
    >>
    >>> I wish there was an NZ gardening group where folks could share
    >>> knowledge / seeds etc.. I'm sure a lot more folks are getting into
    >>> growing as much food as they can, the people at the garden centres
    >>> / Mitre 10 / The Warehouse say that they can't keep up with demand
    >>> for vege plants and equipment, that this year's demand is more than
    >>> double last year.

    >> There is a group on Garden Web but I haven't been there for the
    >> longest time so don't know how active it is now.
    >> Let me find the url for ya.
    >>>

    > http://www.au.gardenweb.com/forums/
    >
    > I haven't time to open the NZ one but have a look at what's there!

    Thanks Cath, I found it when I was Googling Cape Gooseberries a few days ago
    and am already signed up. Seems pretty dead though.

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Sep 21, 2008
  12. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Re: nz.gardening was worth bidding on?

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs "Craig Sutton" typed:
    > <texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit.usacom..> wrote in message
    >> On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 23:49:55 -0500,
    >> texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit.usacom.. wrote:
    >>
    >>> On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 11:27:29 +1200, "~misfit~"
    >>> <> wrote:
    >>> [msge snipped]

    >>> There is a group on Garden Web but I haven't been there for the
    >>> longest time so don't know how
    >>> active it is now.
    >>> Let me find the url for ya.
    >>>>

    >> http://www.au.gardenweb.com/forums/
    >>
    >> I haven't time to open the NZ one but have a look at what's there!
    >>
    >> Cath

    > Lol a "NZ gardeing forum" based in Australia

    GardenWeb is international, an offshoot of the massive iVillage, and the NZ
    forum is housed on the Aus servers. I guess if the membership picked up
    they'd host NZ forums here.

    > Sounds like a niche forum / website someone might like to start up.
    >
    > Or is there a more local one up already?

    Not that I know of although with the rate vege plants have been selling in
    the last couple weeks there's certainly a massive potential user-base for
    one. Personally I'd prefer to see an nz.gardening.edible (and perhap a
    nz.gardening.ornamental) newsgroup/s. I much prefer usenet as a forum for
    exchanging info. Not the least for the fact that it doesn't get overtaken
    with sponsors pushing product like a lot of web forums. Also, it's a plus
    that a newsgroup, once established, is essentially maintainence free. Google
    even hosts the archives for free. <g>

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Sep 21, 2008
  13. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs "thingy" typed:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    > 8><---
    >>
    >> Have hit the Visa for about $350 in plants / materials [and the
    >> stash of spare pain meds for near everything]. Some of that will be
    >> good for a few years, the raised beds will make it easier on my back
    >> to tend / weed them, some of the fruit will last years and I'll let
    >> one of each vege plant go to seed so I don't need to keep buying
    >> seed / plants.

    > From what my parents are saying (and others) the old varieties are
    > good for keeping and re-using seeds year after year. The newer
    > varieties my dad reckons have been got at, they dont seem to produce
    > good seedlings and plants if they come up at all...So he has an older
    > bean variety (for one) and re-plants them every year...naught cost,
    > he got them off other retirees some years back....

    Yeah, I've been caught out like that. A lot of seed and friut sold these
    days is F1 hybrid, great for it's hybrid vigour but doesn't breed true. I've
    been buying oldeer "heritage' variety seeds from Trademe but a few punnets
    of seedlings to get nme going for now.

    > Looking at costs for anuuals if you cant get offshoots (aka
    > strawberries) or re-use seeds I have my doubts that buying seedlings
    > really pays....seeds maybe but they are over-priced as well IMHO.

    Funny, I have read about San Marzano tomatoes but never seen them for sale.
    Then I saw them on Trademe and ordered some last week, Bugger me if I didn't
    see some San Marzano seedlings for sale in Mitre 10 today, a different label
    to the rest, some organic / heritage whatever brand. It seems that, like
    your dad, other people are sick of F1 hybrids and the need to constantly buy
    new seed / pklants and are going back to the old varieties, for
    home-growing.

    > About the only success I have had in the last few years is keeping my
    > lemon tree alive and strawberries, the crab apple is OK as well. I
    > planted 4 fejoias and only the Ultima has flowered (got 5 fruit)...so
    > Im going to get another Ultima and rip out the others, plant
    > something else trying to figure out what yet, the wind is a killer
    > here, strips fruit and flowers....contimplating a small row of
    > potatoes, maybe raspberries.

    I live in Pukekohe so growing potatoes, onions and a few other things would
    be folly. Now raspberries.... If I wasn't renting I'd be growing a lot more
    'permanent' stuff like that.

    > Anything that is over-priced in the shops and we like and is
    > sprayed...trying to be fairly organic.

    Yerp, then good reason to stick with older varieties that aren't bred with a
    strict spray regime in mind. uk.rec.gardening, the only gardening newsgroup
    I can find thats active, talk about this a lot. As do a few forums I've
    looked in on. There is a big swing away from packets of seeds and a return
    to gardeners keeping their own seed / trading seed amongst themselves. You
    can tell your dad I wouldn't keep seed from hybrids, been there, done that
    with last years tomatoes. A lot of work for nothing. I've bought a few
    plants as a head-start this year but I intend to be self-sufficient
    seeds-wise later on, growing only true-breeding 'heritage' varieties, mainly
    sourced from other gardeners (and/or trademe).

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Sep 21, 2008
  14. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs "Mark Robinson" typed:

    [snipped]

    > In case you don't already know about http://www.kingsseeds.co.nz/ ...

    I didn't know, thanks, looks like some reading there.
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Sep 21, 2008
  15. Re: nz.gardening was worth bidding on?

    On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 21:32:00 +1200, "Craig Sutton" <> wrote:

    ><texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit.usacom..> wrote in message
    >> On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 23:49:55 -0500,
    >> texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit.usacom.. wrote:
    >>
    >>>On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 11:27:29 +1200, "~misfit~" <>
    >>>wrote:
    >>>[msge snipped]

    >>>There is a group on Garden Web but I haven't been there for the longest
    >>>time so don't know how
    >>>active it is now.
    >>>Let me find the url for ya.
    >>>>

    >> http://www.au.gardenweb.com/forums/
    >>
    >> I haven't time to open the NZ one but have a look at what's there!
    >>
    >> Cath

    >Lol a "NZ gardeing forum" based in Australia
    >
    >Sounds like a niche forum / website someone might like to start up.
    >
    >Or is there a more local one up already?

    There's one from memory on Trade Me's community - well there used to be one some time ago/
    ? if it's still there...

    Cath

    texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit.usacom.., Sep 21, 2008
  16. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs "thing2" typed:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    > 8><----
    >> I live in Pukekohe

    > um....need to look that up...lol...I did wonder where you were.

    Franklin district, immediately south of South Auckland. 20 minute drive into
    Manukau.

    >> so growing potatoes, onions and a few other things would
    >> be folly.

    > that surprises me....potatoes usually grow anywhere just about...so
    > unless its frozen solid or dust dry...

    It's totally the opposite. A very large percentage of NZ's total market
    gardening is here. I'm not sure of figures for potatoes but I recently heard
    90% on NZ's onions are grown here. I'd think potatoes would be similar going
    by the sheer number of fields of them I see.

    The point I was making is it's like growing coals in newcastle. <g> Spuds
    are cheap as chips pretty much all year 'round, same with onions. Other than
    the pleasure of eating freshly-dug new potatoes (not to be underestimated)
    it would be a poor economic use of my available garden space (and work I can
    do) to grow what I can buy extremely cheaply. Better to concentrate on the
    more expensive but still easilly grown foodstuffs.

    > Now raspberries.... If I wasn't renting I'd be growing a lot more
    >> 'permanent' stuff like that.

    > I'd suggest potting but pots are massively over-priced as well...

    You're telling me! That's the reason I planted my Meyer lemon out (I regret
    that). I've been looking for one for my tamarillo tree and big pots are in
    the $75 range. I'd have to eat a lot of home-grown tamarillos to pay for
    that! What I need is to find somewhere I can get a couple 200 litre plastic
    drums cheap / free and cut them in half. I really don't care what it looks
    like and I don't think the trees will either.

    Then I could try stuff like raspberries too.

    I mean, I'm not moving in a hurry and the landlord said that, as far as he's
    concerned I can stay here 'til I die. However, circumstances can change,
    especially with the current / up-coming economic crisis. My landlord is new
    to owning a rental and is employed at t'mill (Glenbrook steel mill). In the
    latest Franklin News there was a front-page article about speculation that
    it could close down (due to the ETS) taking 800 jobs with it. Apparently the
    parent company (ironically called BlueScope Steel) is loathe to invest
    further, or possibly even continue production. <shrug> It all adds to the
    anxiety.

    >>> Anything that is over-priced in the shops and we like and is
    >>> sprayed...trying to be fairly organic.

    >> Yerp, then good reason to stick with older varieties that aren't
    >> bred with a strict spray regime in mind. uk.rec.gardening, the only
    >> gardening newsgroup I can find thats active, talk about this a lot.
    >> As do a few forums I've looked in on. There is a big swing away from
    >> packets of seeds and a return to gardeners keeping their own seed /
    >> trading seed amongst themselves. You can tell your dad I wouldn't
    >> keep seed from hybrids, been there, done that with last years
    >> tomatoes. A lot of work for nothing. I've bought a few plants as a
    >> head-start this year but I intend to be self-sufficient seeds-wise
    >> later on, growing only true-breeding 'heritage' varieties, mainly
    >> sourced from other gardeners (and/or trademe).

    > never thought of trademe for heritage seeds...will mention to my dad.

    Yeah, there are lots of them there. In fact I found out by Googling
    "heritage seeds". That said, after reading the link Mark posted;
    http://www.kingsseeds.co.nz/ I see that either Kings sell on Trademe or
    someone is re-selling their seeds as quite a few varieties on there have not
    only the same names as Kings but the same verbatim write-up.

    I like that the Kings site says if the seeds are F1 hybrids and also says if
    they are heritage. Some don't say so they could be new cultivars. In any
    case I wouldn't buy with the intent of keeping my own seed if they didn't
    state 'heritage'.

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Sep 22, 2008
  17. ~misfit~

    Craig Sutton Guest

    > There's one from memory on Trade Me's community - well there used to be
    > one some time ago/
    > ? if it's still there...
    >
    > Cath

    Trademes message forum has to be the most lamest outdated forum around.

    Craig Sutton, Sep 22, 2008
  18. ~misfit~

    Craig Shore Guest

    Re: nz.gardening was worth bidding on?

    In article <>,
    texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit.usacom.. says...
    > On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 11:27:29 +1200, "~misfit~" <> wrote:
    > [msge snipped]
    >
    > >I wish there was an NZ gardening group where folks could share knowledge /
    > >seeds etc.. I'm sure a lot more folks are getting into growing as much food
    > >as they can, the people at the garden centres / Mitre 10 / The Warehouse say
    > >that they can't keep up with demand for vege plants and equipment, that this
    > >year's demand is more than double last year.

    Most people don't know about newsgroups. Web forums is where it's at
    and Google turns up searches for it.

    The forum http://blog.garden-nz.co.nz/forum/ off this www site
    http://www.garden-nz.co.nz/ seems quite good.

    Also there's some useful info on the NZ Gardener Magazine www site,
    www.nzgardener.co.nz

    Perhaps we need to revisit the no binaries rule. Most forums end up
    using photos to illustrate things which works very well.

    Craig Shore, Sep 22, 2008
  19. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Re: nz.gardening was worth bidding on?

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs "Craig Shore" typed:
    > In article <>,
    > texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit.usacom.. says...
    >> On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 11:27:29 +1200, "~misfit~"
    >> <> wrote: [msge snipped]
    >>
    >>> I wish there was an NZ gardening group where folks could share
    >>> knowledge / seeds etc.. I'm sure a lot more folks are getting into
    >>> growing as much food as they can, the people at the garden centres
    >>> / Mitre 10 / The Warehouse say that they can't keep up with demand
    >>> for vege plants and equipment, that this year's demand is more than
    >>> double last year.

    > Most people don't know about newsgroups.

    That's exactly why I like newsgroups (I don't like 'most people'). With the
    odd exception you find a better class of person on usenet than you do in web
    forums. Web forums are easy, any idiot can access them, which becomes
    painfully obvious when you read most of them. Usenet on the other hand
    requires a certain amount of nous to access (less so since Google decided it
    was a commodity though...) and I find that, probably because of this, the
    folks you 'meet' tend to be more on-to-it.

    > Web forums is where it's at
    > and Google turns up searches for it.
    >
    > The forum http://blog.garden-nz.co.nz/forum/ off this www site
    > http://www.garden-nz.co.nz/ seems quite good.
    >
    > Also there's some useful info on the NZ Gardener Magazine www site,
    > www.nzgardener.co.nz

    Thanks, all bookmarked.

    > Perhaps we need to revisit the no binaries rule. Most forums end up
    > using photos to illustrate things which works very well.

    With so many simple to use, free of chanrge public hosting sites there's no
    reason why we can't keep the no binaries rule and link to pics if need be.
    It makes far more sense IMO than binaries. I like to download whole
    newsgroups for reading at my leisure. If there are binaries one ends up
    downloading a lot of data one doesn't always want to view.

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Sep 23, 2008