Re: Worst ISP Ever

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by chuckcar, Sep 16, 2010.

  1. chuckcar

    chuckcar Guest

    Snuhwolf <> wrote in
    news:i6tc6m$bkr$:

    > Centurylink sucks. They throttle bandwidth and throw up their own
    > little DNS redirecting search page if you misspell a word. Seriously,
    > since when is streaming audio at 128k too big a load on the system?

    128k *what*?

    128KB/s would be dual channel CD quality audio. Hardly a necessity.

    Radio quality audio only needs about 22KB/s for obvious reasons.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Sep 16, 2010

  2. chuckcar wrote:
    > Snuhwolf <> wrote in
    >
    >> Centurylink sucks. They throttle bandwidth and throw up their own
    >> little DNS redirecting search page if you misspell a word. Seriously,
    >> since when is streaming audio at 128k too big a load on the system?
    >>

    > 128k *what*?
    >
    > 128KB/s would be dual channel CD quality audio. Hardly a necessity.
    >
    > Radio quality audio only needs about 22KB/s for obvious reasons.

    WTF *should* DSL speed be?
    Hmmmmm...

    §ñühw¤£f, Sep 17, 2010

  3. chuckcar

    chuckcar Guest

    §ñühw¤£f <> wrote in news:i6vtpm$rpu$-
    september.org:

    > chuckcar wrote:
    >> Snuhwolf <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> Centurylink sucks. They throttle bandwidth and throw up their own
    >>> little DNS redirecting search page if you misspell a word. Seriously,
    >>> since when is streaming audio at 128k too big a load on the system?
    >>>

    >> 128k *what*?
    >>
    >> 128KB/s would be dual channel CD quality audio. Hardly a necessity.
    >>
    >> Radio quality audio only needs about 22KB/s for obvious reasons.
    >>

    > WTF *should* DSL speed be?
    > Hmmmmm...

    DSL is the same up and down. At least 60KB/s. Less than what you talk about
    (assuming the units you left out are the same as what I said).

    BTW with *any* serial transmission, the speed is expressed in bits per
    seond, which you then divide by 10 to get bytes per seond. There is a start
    bit and a stop bit as well, making it 10.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Sep 18, 2010
  4. chuckcar

    OldGringo38 Guest

    On 9/17/2010 8:33 PM Just to please that super-ego, chuckcar wrote the
    following tidbit of information:
    > §ñühw¤£f<> wrote in news:i6vtpm$rpu$-
    > september.org:
    >
    >> chuckcar wrote:
    >>> Snuhwolf<> wrote in

    >>> 128k *what*?
    >>>
    >>> 128KB/s would be dual channel CD quality audio. Hardly a necessity.
    >>>
    >>> Radio quality audio only needs about 22KB/s for obvious reasons.
    >>>

    >> WTF *should* DSL speed be?
    >> Hmmmmm...
    >>

    > DSL is the same up and down. At least 60KB/s. Less than what you talk about
    > (assuming the units you left out are the same as what I said).
    >
    > BTW with *any* serial transmission, the speed is expressed in bits per
    > seond, which you then divide by 10 to get bytes per seond. There is a start
    > bit and a stop bit as well, making it 10.

    Boy am I having a hard time understanding this.
    My DSL Is 6016kbps Down and 768kbps Up, what does that mean?
    Keeping in Mind the closest large city to my location is 200+ miles away.

    --
    OldGringo38
    Just West Of Nowhere
    OldGringo38, Sep 18, 2010
  5. chuckcar

    chuckcar Guest

    OldGringo38 <> wrote in

    > On 9/17/2010 8:33 PM Just to please that super-ego, chuckcar wrote the
    > following tidbit of information:
    >> §ñühw¤£f<> wrote in
    >> news:i6vtpm$rpu$- september.org:

    >>> WTF *should* DSL speed be?
    >>> Hmmmmm...
    >>>

    >> DSL is the same up and down. At least 60KB/s. Less than what you talk
    >> about (assuming the units you left out are the same as what I said).
    >>
    >> BTW with *any* serial transmission, the speed is expressed in bits
    >> per seond, which you then divide by 10 to get bytes per seond. There
    >> is a start bit and a stop bit as well, making it 10.
    >>

    > Boy am I having a hard time understanding this.
    > My DSL Is 6016kbps Down and 768kbps Up, what does that mean?
    > Keeping in Mind the closest large city to my location is 200+ miles
    > away.

    That's because you have ADSL. DSL and ADSL starts at T1 speeds. As it states in
    wiki, in ranges between 256Kb/s* and 20Mb/s*. That's 25KB/s to 2MB/s (so *half*
    of what I said - which means I was *oveestimating*). There's later types of "DSL"
    that cover the higher speeds and they require more fibre optic closer to the
    demarcation point, different hardware in the CO and so on. Snow wolf said "DSL"
    and that is the numbers above and both the same speed. So *he* made the mistake.
    He should have said ADSL at the least or one of the acronyms on the top left here:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Subscriber_Line

    * Remeber b= bits and B= bytes.
    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Sep 18, 2010
  6. chuckcar

    OldGringo38 Guest

    On 9/17/2010 10:38 PM Just to please that super-ego, chuckcar wrote the
    following tidbit of information:
    > OldGringo38<> wrote in
    >
    >> On 9/17/2010 8:33 PM Just to please that super-ego, chuckcar wrote the
    >> following tidbit of information:
    >>> §ñühw¤£f<> wrote in
    >>> news:i6vtpm$rpu$- september.org:

    >>> DSL is the same up and down. At least 60KB/s. Less than what you talk
    >>> about (assuming the units you left out are the same as what I said).
    >>>
    >>> BTW with *any* serial transmission, the speed is expressed in bits
    >>> per seond, which you then divide by 10 to get bytes per seond. There
    >>> is a start bit and a stop bit as well, making it 10.
    >>>

    >> Boy am I having a hard time understanding this.
    >> My DSL Is 6016kbps Down and 768kbps Up, what does that mean?
    >> Keeping in Mind the closest large city to my location is 200+ miles
    >> away.
    >>

    > That's because you have ADSL. DSL and ADSL starts at T1 speeds. As it states in
    > wiki, in ranges between 256Kb/s* and 20Mb/s*. That's 25KB/s to 2MB/s (so *half*
    > of what I said - which means I was *oveestimating*). There's later types of "DSL"
    > that cover the higher speeds and they require more fibre optic closer to the
    > demarcation point, different hardware in the CO and so on. Snow wolf said "DSL"
    > and that is the numbers above and both the same speed. So *he* made the mistake.
    > He should have said ADSL at the least or one of the acronyms on the top left here:
    >

    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Subscriber_Line
    >

    > * Remeber b= bits and B= bytes.

    Now it's all cleared up. Thanks

    OldGringo38, Sep 19, 2010
  7. chuckcar

    chuckcar Guest

    OldGringo38 <> wrote in

    > On 9/17/2010 10:38 PM Just to please that super-ego, chuckcar wrote
    > the following tidbit of information:
    >> OldGringo38<> wrote in
    >>

    >> That's because you have ADSL. DSL and ADSL starts at T1 speeds. As it
    >> states in wiki, in ranges between 256Kb/s* and 20Mb/s*. That's 25KB/s
    >> to 2MB/s (so *half* of what I said - which means I was
    >> *oveestimating*). There's later types of "DSL" that cover the higher
    >> speeds and they require more fibre optic closer to the demarcation
    >> point, different hardware in the CO and so on. Snow wolf said "DSL"
    >> and that is the numbers above and both the same speed. So *he* made
    >> the mistake. He should have said ADSL at the least or one of the
    >> acronyms on the top left here:
    >>

    >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Subscriber_Line
    >>
    >> * Remeber b= bits and B= bytes.

    > Now it's all cleared up. Thanks

    No problem.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Sep 19, 2010
  8. chuckcar

    Anyone Guest

    On Thu, 16 Sep 2010 21:21:40 +0000, chuckcar wrote:

    > Snuhwolf <> wrote in
    >
    >> Centurylink sucks. They throttle bandwidth and throw up their own
    >> little DNS redirecting search page if you misspell a word. Seriously,
    >> since when is streaming audio at 128k too big a load on the system?
    >>

    > 128k *what*?

    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!!!

    Anyone, Sep 26, 2010
  9. Anyone wrote:
    > On Thu, 16 Sep 2010 21:21:40 +0000, chuckcar wrote:
    >
    >> Snuhwolf <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> Centurylink sucks. They throttle bandwidth and throw up their own
    >>> little DNS redirecting search page if you misspell a word. Seriously,
    >>> since when is streaming audio at 128k too big a load on the system?
    >>>

    >> 128k *what*?

    > HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!!!
    >
    >> 128KB/s would be dual channel CD quality audio. Hardly a necessity.
    >> Radio quality audio only needs about 22KB/s for obvious reasons.

    kbps...hmmm...now that I think of it...that is funny :)

    §ñühw¤£f, Sep 26, 2010