Re: Worst DVD Commentary tracks?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Dunf, Sep 26, 2003.

  1. Dunf

    Dunf Guest

    "The Magically Delicious Mr. H***" <> wrote in message
    > I know this subject has probably been breached before, but I've just had
    > the opportunity to listen to director John Howard Davies' commentary on
    > the first four episodes of "Fawlty Towers" and I don't think I've ever
    > experienced something so painful, in terms of a commentary track, which
    > prior to this ordeal were supposed to be an enjoyable, and often times
    > educational way to pass the time with a film, or television series one
    > has an affinity for. That ideal is now shattered.
    >
    > I don't know what kind of health problems John Howard Davies, may or may
    > not have, but the commentary is filled with minutes, upon minutes of him
    > gasping for air, when he isn't doing that, he's drinking something, and
    > of course he's wearing a microphone so it sounds like we're actually
    > inside John Howard Davies' throat as whatever it is he's drinking comes
    > washing down in a torrent not unlike the sound of someone doing a
    > kegger.
    >
    > I said that John Howard Davies, sounds like he's gasping for air, which
    > isn't entirely true, in reality he sounds very much like some one
    > performing an obscene phone call with heavy breathing that goes on
    > forever. MAKE IT STOP, PLEASE GOD!!
    >
    > Then, there are the l----o----n----g stretches of silence which are
    > usually broken up by more heavy breathing, and then one or two comments.
    >
    > When he actually does talk some of the information is interesting, but
    > other times he's seems to have forgotten the episodes, and then
    > neglected to watch them prior to the commentary recording to brush up
    > where he could've jotted out some of the things he wanted to say.
    >
    > Had they gotten someone else involved in the show to sit in with him to
    > have more of a conversational atmosphere this could have been a decent
    > commentary, as it presently stands I don't think it should have been
    > released in this condition.
    >

    > ..
    > Mr. Hole

    Try listening to John Hughes droning on about his "important" films. I would
    rather have root canal without freezing. I would prefer that my screw driver
    was made by a company called Blackened Pecker. I would..well, you get the
    idea.

    Dunf, Sep 26, 2003