    Don't know which is worse, the movie or the self-praising commentary that tries
    to praise the remake as being better than the original (read: superior)
    version. - Reinhart

    LASERandDVDfan, Sep 20, 2003

  2. LASERandDVDfan

    Bobcancel Guest

    Re: Worst DVD Commentary tracks? (Psycho)

    Reinhart wrote:

    << One of the worst DVD commentary tracks must be for the Gus Van Saint remake
    of
    "Psycho."

    Don't know which is worse, the movie or the self-praising commentary that tries
    to praise the remake as being better than the original (read: superior)
    version. - >>

    No, the remake was not as good as the original film. But, it wasn't as bad as
    all that. I'm glad the picture exists. As an experiment in the art of film I
    thought it was a rousing success, proving that copying a film shot for shot
    (even a classic one) doesn't insure that the quality or status of the first one
    can easily be transfered to the second one. Art is more illusive than that.
    The second "Psycho" is at the very least a fascinating gaze into "process"
    itself, that alone gives the film merit. As for the commentary, no argument
    there. Every one on that track was convinced that they were involved in a
    historic endeavor. They were wrong. Even as a failure, it was surely a
    historic experiment, but not a historic endeavor. Anyone care to convince me
    I'm wrong (using complete sentences and thoughtful commentary)?
    Ken
    Dallas

    Bobcancel, Sep 21, 2003

  3. Re: Worst DVD Commentary tracks? (Psycho)

    >As an experiment in the art of film I
    >thought it was a rousing success, proving that copying a film shot for shot
    >(even a classic one) doesn't insure that the quality or status of the first
    >one
    >can easily be transfered to the second one.

    But still, if you are going to remake a film, do it as your own interpretation
    of the script instead of ripping someone else's vision off by doing a
    shot-by-shot remake with "improvements." - Reinhart

    LASERandDVDfan, Sep 22, 2003