Re: Worst DVD Commentary tracks?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Yertle, Sep 20, 2003.

  1. Yertle

    Yertle Guest

    On Fri, 19 Sep 2003 17:29:12 -0400 (EDT),
    (The Magically Delicious Mr. H***)
    wrote:

    >I know this subject has probably been breached before, but I've just had
    >the opportunity to listen to director John Howard Davies' commentary on
    >the first four episodes of "Fawlty Towers" and I don't think I've ever
    >experienced something so painful, in terms of a commentary track,

    The question I have is whether there's a single
    non-Criterion DVD commentary track worth listening to. They
    all seem to be boring stream-of-consciousness ramblings by
    actors and directors - the kind of pointless mumbling that
    usually has me making up excuses to leave in real life.

    The fact that commentaries are now considered a valuable
    extra would be funny if they weren't holding up releases
    (like the Simpsons season DVDs) to record this drivel.
    Yertle, Sep 20, 2003

  2. Yertle

    Dick Sidbury Guest

    Yertle wrote:

    > The question I have is whether there's a single
    > non-Criterion DVD commentary track worth listening to. They
    > all seem to be boring stream-of-consciousness ramblings by
    > actors and directors - the kind of pointless mumbling that
    > usually has me making up excuses to leave in real life.

    Citizen Kane has two, as does Casablanca. Of course they are
    "criterion-like" commentaries. Apollo 13 has a commentary by Jim
    Lovell. I like FFC's commentaries for the Godfather Trilogy and also
    Zemeckis' BTTF commentaries. And probably a bunch more.

    dick
    Dick Sidbury, Sep 20, 2003

  3. From: Dick Sidbury

    >Citizen Kane has two, as does Casablanca. Of course they are
    >"criterion-like" commentaries. Apollo 13 has a commentary by Jim
    >Lovell. I like FFC's commentaries for the Godfather Trilogy and also
    >Zemeckis' BTTF commentaries. And probably a bunch more.
    >
    >dick

    The best commentary Zemeckis was involved with was Used Cars. I wish all
    commentaries were more like Used Cars.
    Rupert Pupkin, Sep 20, 2003
  4. Dick Sidbury wrote:

    >> The question I have is whether there's a single
    >> non-Criterion DVD commentary track worth listening to. They
    >> all seem to be boring stream-of-consciousness ramblings by
    >> actors and directors - the kind of pointless mumbling that
    >> usually has me making up excuses to leave in real life.
    >>

    > Citizen Kane has two, as does Casablanca. Of course they are
    > "criterion-like" commentaries. Apollo 13 has a commentary by Jim
    > Lovell. I like FFC's commentaries for the Godfather Trilogy and also
    > Zemeckis' BTTF commentaries. And probably a bunch more.

    And at this point, one *has* to stick up for the "Willy Wonka"
    commentary, one of the extremely few to to give "Cast watching the movie
    with popcorn" commentaries a GOOD name. :)

    Derek Janssen (the "Fellowship of the Ring" cast commentary being the other)
    Derek Janssen, Sep 20, 2003
  5. "Derek Janssen" <> wrote in message
    > And at this point, one *has* to stick up for the "Willy Wonka"
    > commentary, one of the extremely few to to give "Cast watching the movie
    > with popcorn" commentaries a GOOD name. :)

    I liked the cast commentary on "The Goonies", too.
    Brandon Fisher, Sep 20, 2003
  6. Yertle

    Jay G Guest

    "Yertle" <> wrote ...
    > The question I have is whether there's a single
    > non-Criterion DVD commentary track worth listening to. They
    > all seem to be boring stream-of-consciousness ramblings by
    > actors and directors - the kind of pointless mumbling that
    > usually has me making up excuses to leave in real life.

    Not all Criterion commentaries are golden. While the Brazil
    set has a wonderful commentary by Terry Gilliam on the
    first disc. The third disc contains a very dry, boring, and
    gap-filled commentary by a film scholar on this alternate
    cut of the film.

    Some commentaries I've really enjoyed:

    The drunken commentary for Cannibal! The Musical is
    hilarious and actually quite informative.

    Practically any commentary with Bruce Campbell in it,
    with the commentary for Running Time getting a special
    nod for being a lesson on how to do a film on a shoestring
    budget.

    Pixar film commentaries, while occasionally devolving into
    the commentators giving shout outs to cast and crew that
    "did such a great job," are informative and fun. Surprisingly
    or perhaps not so much if you know Pixar, for such
    technologically advanced films, the commentaries tend
    to focus on the story and it's evolution.

    Finally, Terry Gilliam commentaries are great because of
    how open his comments are. He doesn't hold anything
    back and try to be self-praising or diplomatic. If he had
    a problem making the film, he'll tell you what it was, with
    little to no glossing over the facts or being nice to the actors.

    -Jay
    Jay G, Sep 20, 2003
  7. "Jay G" <> wrote in message

    > a problem making the film, he'll tell you what it was, with
    > little to no glossing over the facts or being nice to the actors.

    That's my ideal commentary.

    Steve
    Steve Knoblock, Sep 20, 2003
  8. Jay G wrote:

    >>The question I have is whether there's a single
    >>non-Criterion DVD commentary track worth listening to. They
    >>all seem to be boring stream-of-consciousness ramblings by
    >>actors and directors - the kind of pointless mumbling that
    >>usually has me making up excuses to leave in real life.

    > Not all Criterion commentaries are golden. While the Brazil
    > set has a wonderful commentary by Terry Gilliam on the
    > first disc. The third disc contains a very dry, boring, and
    > gap-filled commentary by a film scholar on this alternate
    > cut of the film.

    Much like the Cocteau "Beauty & the Beast" commentary--

    While "The Third Man", in place of a commentary, has Graham Greene
    reading his short story, and occasionally getting ahead of the action on
    screen, or trailing annoyingly behind it.

    > Some commentaries I've really enjoyed:
    >
    > Finally, Terry Gilliam commentaries are great because of
    > how open his comments are. He doesn't hold anything
    > back and try to be self-praising or diplomatic. If he had
    > a problem making the film, he'll tell you what it was, with
    > little to no glossing over the facts or being nice to the actors.

    And that includes "Time Bandits", "Life of Brian" and "Holy Grail"--
    Which also include contributions by John Cleese and Terry Jones, both of
    whom will say anything movie-related, while Michael Palin tends to be a
    little more self-spoofing.

    Derek Janssen
    Derek Janssen, Sep 20, 2003
  9. Yertle

    rwright Guest

    I must agree with this 100%. it has almost gotten to the point where I
    can't watch WILL WONKA without listening to the commentary. They are having
    so much FUN! It brings a huge smile to my face every time I hear it!!

    rwright, Sep 21, 2003