Re: Worst DVD Commentary tracks?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Grand Inquisitor, Sep 20, 2003.

  1. The Magically Delicious Mr. H*** wrote:
    > I know this subject has probably been breached before, but I've just had
    > the opportunity to listen to director John Howard Davies' commentary on
    > the first four episodes of "Fawlty Towers" and I don't think I've ever
    > experienced something so painful, in terms of a commentary track, which
    > prior to this ordeal were supposed to be an enjoyable, and often times
    > educational way to pass the time with a film, or television series one
    > has an affinity for. That ideal is now shattered.

    Agreed. You get a pretty good description, but for the nonbelievers,
    this is what it's actually like folks: Lengthy cigarette lighting
    ritual. Long drag on cigarette. Long exhale on cigarette. "Well....."
    Long pause. "Guess who that mustache..." Long pause. "...is
    supposed to remind you of." Long pause. Inhale on cigarette. LONG
    exhale. "That's right." Long pause. "Young Adolf."

    Interminably boring. What happened to this guy? Is he a drunk or what?
    However the worst commentary track I've ever heard is the one for
    Jurassic Park 3. It's 90% "this shot is cg, this shot is animatronics,
    this shot is cg, this shot is animatronics." Nine percent is idle
    banter between the fx guys, and the remaining one percent is a few
    scraps of useful and interesting information.

    > Had they gotten someone else involved in the show to sit in with him to
    > have more of a conversational atmosphere this could have been a decent
    > commentary, as it presently stands I don't think it should have been
    > released in this condition.

    Who would dare tell the director of England's most legendary sitcom that
    his commentary bites? If they had the guts to do that, surely they'd
    have had the guts to tell him not to do Spice World?

    and tagging wildebeests."
    --Michael J. Nelson

    Grand Inquisitor
    Grand Inquisitor, Sep 20, 2003

  2. Grand Inquisitor

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "Grand Inquisitor" <> wrote in message
    > Who would dare tell the director of England's most legendary sitcom

    that
    > his commentary bites? If they had the guts to do that, surely they'd
    > have had the guts to tell him not to do Spice World?

    Spice World was made by Bob Spiers, the *other* Fawlty Towers director.
    Joshua Zyber, Sep 20, 2003