Re: Worried, constant blocks of PINGS on ZA.

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by fitwell, Aug 22, 2003.

  1. fitwell

    fitwell Guest

    On Fri, 22 Aug 2003 19:38:35 GMT, "James Curts"
    <> wrote:

    >Most of my pings are from my own server as they monitor the system/server
    >activities.
    >
    >Jim

    Thanks, Jim. But how do I know for sure?

    fitwell, Aug 22, 2003

  2. fitwell

    fitwell Guest

    On Fri, 22 Aug 2003 20:10:19 +0100, "BIG NIGE" <no.way@jose> wrote:

    >Dont wory about it just be thankful that you have ZA to protect you BTW
    >most of the Pings i am getting recently are from NTL servers

    True, but this just started day before yesterday late, I would say.
    And I get _constant_ pings. I'll delete them now, and there's another
    ping block right away.

    Ad-aware and both antivirus scans come up clean (and one is DOS-based,
    F-PROT which I run after exiting out of my Win98SE).

    There, in about a minute or so, and there are 8 ping blocks. Again,
    first 5 digits from the blocked ping are the same.

    Thanks!

    fitwell, Aug 22, 2003

  3. fitwell

    doS Guest

    doS, Aug 22, 2003
  4. fitwell

    Kraftee Guest

    fitwell wrote:

    >>> True, but this just started day before yesterday late, I would
    >>> say. And I get _constant_ pings. I'll delete them now, and
    >>> there's another ping block right away.
    >>>
    >>> Ad-aware and both antivirus scans come up clean (and one is
    >>> DOS-based, F-PROT which I run after exiting out of my Win98SE).

    >> Pings come from OUTSIDE your PC. It doesnt matter what anti
    >> whatever you run. That doesnt stop outside pinging/etc.

    > Yes, but it isn't because something is calling out and that is
    > hooking up with something to PING back?? Or a site that is doing
    > this that I might have gotten a popup for?
    >
    > 500 PINGs in 1 hour seems excessive. Just now in last 10 minutes I
    > had 47 PINGs. And this just keeps happening and has over last 2
    > days.
    >
    > Alerts turned off in ZA, it's just the flashing thingie on the icon.
    > Unfortunately, my messaging system flashes right next to it so I'm
    > tired of thinking I'm getting a message only to have it be ZA.

    The pings are from other machines looking for a response, not other
    machines reply to a request from yours.

    You shouldn't worry about them, be more concerend if you didn't
    register them, as it means you firewall wasn't blocking them...

    --
    B-)
    Life is pain.....
    Kraftee, Aug 22, 2003
  5. fitwell

    fitwell Guest

    On Fri, 22 Aug 2003 20:10:19 +0100, "BIG NIGE" <no.way@jose> wrote:

    >Dont wory about it just be thankful that you have ZA to protect you BTW
    >most of the Pings i am getting recently are from NTL servers

    This is _still_ happening. In all the years I've had ZA this constant
    pinging was never a problem. Come on, it's been two weeks now without
    a let up. On average, I'd say CONTINUOUSLY, probably a couple of
    pings a minute. That adds up to a LOT.

    They're all a similar number. Is there a place where I can put these
    numbers in to find out where they're coming from? This has got to
    stop.

    fitwell, Sep 6, 2003
  6. fitwell <> wrote in

    <snip>

    > This is _still_ happening. In all the years I've had ZA this constant
    > pinging was never a problem. Come on, it's been two weeks now without
    > a let up. On average, I'd say CONTINUOUSLY, probably a couple of
    > pings a minute. That adds up to a LOT.
    >
    > They're all a similar number. Is there a place where I can put these
    > numbers in to find out where they're coming from? This has got to
    > stop.

    GWF.

    <http://www.samspade.org/d/firewalls.html>
    Santiago Zawojski, Sep 6, 2003