Re: Worm

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by David Empson, Aug 24, 2003.

  1. David Empson

    David Empson Guest

    Mainlander <*@*.*> wrote:

    > At least you have a working firewall. Victoria university apparently
    > doesn't, and neither do some major companies worldwide that really ought
    > to know better. And Paradise's mail scanner so far has proved useless at
    > detecting Sobig.F, the dozens of copies emailed to me so far all say the
    > mail scanner found they were clean.

    Sobig.F has its own built-in SMTP server and generates the main body of
    the mail header itself, including the bogus "X-MailScanner: Found to be
    clean" line.

    At least 594 copies of this worm have hit my mailbox on Actrix so far
    (not counting any that might have already been deleted from my Junk
    folder). That's about 59.4 MB of E-mail in five days. Lucky I'm not
    paying for E-mail by volume these days, and I'm not having to download
    each copy of the blasted thing in full over a dialup connection. The
    only problem is that it might cause my mailbox capacity limit to be
    exceeded, preventing real E-mail from getting through (not that I am
    getting much of that recently - at least 90% of my received messages are
    spam, which Eudora catches pretty reliably).

    When I last checked the specific details, just over half the copies
    appeared to have come from one infected machine at Nova University in
    Florida (I E-Mailed their system administrator in the vain hope that
    they might find and fix it), and about another quarter came from another
    single machine which I didn't track down.

    --
    David Empson

    David Empson, Aug 24, 2003