Re: Worm

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by m00se, Aug 21, 2003.

  1. m00se

    m00se Guest

    Whoknows wrote:
    > Wouldn't ya think that it might be in the ISP's best interest if they
    > sent out an email to all those idiot customers out there that still
    > haven't updated their damned computers.
    > I'm sick and tired of gettign firewall logs filling up with port 135
    > scans, especially when alot of them are coming from nz machines.
    > You'd think with all the media coverage people would have got off their
    > arses and sorted out their puters.
    > Maybe if the ISP's emailed and said their account would be suspended if
    > they continued to run an infected machine they'd actually do something.
    > Some people are just too damned dumb to own on in my opinion.

    Of course, youre so smart that youve never had a virus on any of your
    machines, never misread a security warning, never made a mistake.

    As for your idea, without internet how are these customers ever going to
    update and fix the worm??

    If I was you, I'd be asking why my ISP doesnt drop traffic on these
    known worm ports.

    And, if youre firewalled, whats the big deal anyway?? You know what the
    cause is, you know youre protected, you know with time, these scans will
    go away.
    m00se, Aug 21, 2003

  2. m00se allegedly said:

    > Of course, youre so smart that youve never had a virus on any of your
    > machines, never misread a security warning, never made a mistake.

    That would be, actually.

    Using PC's since 1984 and never once had a virus.

    In the beginning, I simply avoided atachments that could be executed.

    But one ActieX became a channel for vruses, I moved to OS/2.

    Then when IBM dropped OS/2 (Microsoft's anti-trust convictions tell the
    story there) and the worm viruses appeared, I moved to linux.

    19 virus-free years.

    Just avoid Microsoft products and their inherent design flaws and
    insecurities and you don't even NEED anti-virus software.
    William Lyon McKenzie, Aug 22, 2003