Re: World's first photograph?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Alienjones, Apr 20, 2008.

  1. Alienjones

    Alienjones Guest

    ,

    ,

    http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/17/arts/design/17phot.html?_r=1&oref

    Seasons,

    Industrial

    |>> Goodbye Lawrence.
    |> ta ta...send a postcard from wherever you're going, eh? And don't
    |> forget to put the right postage on it.
    |>
    |> Lg
    |>

    | This explains a lot about you and your generally shitty immature
    approach to
    | life:
    |
    | +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    | I believe it.
    | My 46 year old friend died because he neglected his strict Type 2
    | diabetes protocol, which resulted in his FATAL MI.
    | Here is Today's Headlines about that very subject:
    | http://tinyurl.com/auh78
    | In my case, I'm medicated for Panic Disorder DSM IIIR 300.01 which
    | produces VTach and arrhythmias. Inverted T wave is present, along
    | with PVC salvos. CAD. Angina. I use nitroglycerin for vasodilation,
    | blood thinning chemicals, beta blockers, have hyperlipidimia so am
    | taking heavy doses of statins, and so on and so forth, fall asleep
    | just scratching the surface. Renal insufficiency forcing high
    | creatinin level ( danger zone ). Am I gonna die? Maybe, but not
    | today ( I hope ).
    | And then I will come back to tell everyone there is no such thing as
    | sex after death, but that won't bother me because I'm not getting any
    | now and I'm presently diagnosed as alive ;-|
    | IOW, dead, alive, vegetative, no difference noticed on this end. The
    | last time I saw my pecker IIRC, was sometime between 1995 and 1997.
    | I've been thinking of issuing an Amber Alert.
    | Lg
    | ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    |
    | Explains a lot.
    |
    | "Nuff said...

    Where the hell did you did that up George? This reads like an autopsy of
    a dead person rather than a diagnosis of one still living.

    - --

    from Douglas,
    If my PGP key is missing, the
    post is a forgery. Ignore it.
    Alienjones, Apr 20, 2008

  2. Alienjones

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 16:21:29 -0500, George Kerby <>
    wrote:
    :
    :
    :
    : On 4/20/08 2:49 PM, in article fug6j4$smm$,
    : "Alienjones" <> wrote:
    :
    : >
    : > George Kerby wrote:
    : > |
    : > |
    : > | On 4/20/08 11:32 AM, in article
    : > ,
    : > | "Lawrence Glickman" <> wrote:
    : > |
    : > |> On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 11:21:26 -0500, Ron Hunter <>
    : > |> wrote:
    : > |>
    : > |>> Lawrence Glickman wrote:
    : > |>>> On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 10:19:44 -0500, George Kerby
    : > |>>> <> wrote:
    : > |>>>
    : > |>>>>
    : > |>>>> On 4/19/08 9:46 AM, in article
    : > ,
    : > |>>>> "Lawrence Glickman" <> wrote:
    : > |>>>>
    : > |>>>>> On Sat, 19 Apr 2008 09:20:40 -0500, Allen <> wrote:
    : > |>>>>>
    : > |>>>>>> Lawrence Glickman wrote:
    : > |>>>>>>> On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 21:18:36 -0400, Cynicor
    : > |>>>>>>> <> wrote:
    : > |>>>>>>>
    : > |>>>>>>>> Lawrence Glickman wrote:
    : > |>>>>>>>>> On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 10:54:10 -0500, George Kerby
    : > |>>>>>>>>> <> wrote:
    : > |>>>>>>>>>
    : > |>>>>>>>>>> On 4/17/08 9:03 PM, in article
    : > |>>>>>>>>>> ,
    : > |>>>>>>>>>> "Lawrence Glickman" <> wrote:
    : > |>>>>>>>>>>
    : > |>>>>>>>>>>> On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 19:00:33 -0700, John Rethorst
    : > |>>>>>>>>>>> <>
    : > |>>>>>>>>>>> wrote:
    : > |>>>>>>>>>>>
    : > |>>>>>>>>>>>> Or "photogram" as they called it. Interesting.
    : > |>>>>>>>>>>>>
    : > |>>>>>>>>>>>>
[...]
    : > | +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
[...]
    : > | ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    : > |
    : > | Explains a lot.
    : > |
    : > | "Nuff said...
    : > |
    : >
    : > Where the hell did you did that up George? This reads like an autopsy of
    : > a dead person rather than a diagnosis of one still living.
    : >
    : Google advanced search:
    :
    : http://preview.tinyurl.com/59w4jr
    :
    : Like I said, it explains a lot about Lg...

    I suppose we should give him a pass and ignore his rants. I suppose I might be
    as obnoxious as Larry is if I had all that wrong with me. Hell, maybe I am
    anyway.

    Bob
    Robert Coe, Apr 21, 2008

  3. Alienjones

    ASAAR Guest

    On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 20:28:58 -0400, Robert Coe wrote:

    > : Like I said, it explains a lot about Lg...
    >
    > I suppose we should give him a pass and ignore his rants. I suppose
    > I might be as obnoxious as Larry is if I had all that wrong with me.

    If what he wrote is actually true. His language, msg. style and
    contrived egomania are remarkably similar to those of a troll that
    played in this newsgroup last year. (Hint: that one claimed to have
    taken many award winning photographs, but would rather have them
    destroyed than let them be seen by others.) The misc.survivalism
    thread archived in GG may just be demonstrating another of his
    bizarre, antisocial personas.
    ASAAR, Apr 22, 2008
  4. Alienjones

    John Turco Guest

    ASAAR wrote:

    > On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 20:28:58 -0400, Robert Coe wrote:
    >
    > > : Like I said, it explains a lot about Lg...
    > >
    > > I suppose we should give him a pass and ignore his rants. I suppose
    > > I might be as obnoxious as Larry is if I had all that wrong with me.

    > If what he wrote is actually true. His language, msg. style and
    > contrived egomania are remarkably similar to those of a troll that
    > played in this newsgroup last year. (Hint: that one claimed to have
    > taken many award winning photographs, but would rather have them
    > destroyed than let them be seen by others.) The misc.survivalism
    > thread archived in GG may just be demonstrating another of his
    > bizarre, antisocial personas.

    Hello, ASAAR:

    That same thought had briefly crossed my mind, also. Although (unlike
    Lawrence Glickman), the "nym shifter" in question was both fanatically
    pro-P&S and virulently anti-DSLR.

    Cordially,
    John Turco <>
    John Turco, Apr 27, 2008
  5. Alienjones

    ASAAR Guest

    On Sun, 27 Apr 2008 05:04:29 -0500, John Turco wrote:

    > That same thought had briefly crossed my mind, also. Although (unlike
    > Lawrence Glickman), the "nym shifter" in question was both fanatically
    > pro-P&S and virulently anti-DSLR.

    I noticed that too, as well as that LG has been much better
    behaved in some other threads. But the fanaticism was almost
    certainly feigned for effect, and probably so boring and required so
    much effort that if the "nym shifter" returned, it would probably
    want to adopt a less strenuous guise. Or not. Maybe he'll return
    some day as a Kodak fanatic! :)

    BTW, this morning I stumbled across my folk's old Bell & Howell
    8mm camera. Didn't use Li-Ion, NiMH or even alkalines. Maybe some
    day there'll be a digital camera that also uses a windup key.
    There's a rumor going around that Sigma's trying to acquire BayGen.
    ASAAR, Apr 29, 2008
  6. Alienjones

    Paul Bartram Guest

    "ASAAR" <> wrote

    > BTW, this morning I stumbled across my folk's old Bell & Howell
    > 8mm camera. Didn't use Li-Ion, NiMH or even alkalines. Maybe some
    > day there'll be a digital camera that also uses a windup key.
    > There's a rumor going around that Sigma's trying to acquire BayGen.

    I remember clockwork cine cameras - mine was a Russian-made Zorky, I think.
    Not a terribly good camera, but it would make a handy weapon if you were
    cornered!

    The South Africans have a wind-up radio for use in remote and rural areas
    with no power. One wind gets you about 40 minutes of sound, so no doubt they
    could make a digital camera if they saw a demand - be heavy though.

    Paul
    Paul Bartram, Apr 29, 2008
  7. Alienjones

    ASAAR Guest

    On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 16:16:27 +1000, "Paul Bartram" <p.bartram AT OR
    NEAR mysoul.com.au> wrote:

    >> BTW, this morning I stumbled across my folk's old Bell & Howell
    >> 8mm camera. Didn't use Li-Ion, NiMH or even alkalines. Maybe some
    >> day there'll be a digital camera that also uses a windup key.
    >> There's a rumor going around that Sigma's trying to acquire BayGen.

    > I remember clockwork cine cameras - mine was a Russian-made Zorky, I think.
    > Not a terribly good camera, but it would make a handy weapon if you were
    > cornered!
    >
    > The South Africans have a wind-up radio for use in remote and rural areas
    > with no power. One wind gets you about 40 minutes of sound, so no doubt they
    > could make a digital camera if they saw a demand - be heavy though.

    Right, it's made by BayGen. And you're right about the weight. I
    had one of the early models and it was a pretty big beast. Winding
    the spring is much less tiring than cranking the generators on most
    of the little 'survival' portable radios I've seen.

    FWIW, the first 35mm camera I used was a Zorky back about 1960 or
    so. Compared to the previous cameras I used it took much better
    pictures, although not nearly as good as the Leica it somewhat
    resembled would have, and I may have used the Zorky with a Leica
    lens once or twice.
    ASAAR, May 1, 2008
  8. Alienjones

    John Turco Guest

    ASAAR wrote:

    > On Sun, 27 Apr 2008 05:04:29 -0500, John Turco wrote:
    >
    > > That same thought had briefly crossed my mind, also. Although (unlike
    > > Lawrence Glickman), the "nym shifter" in question was both fanatically
    > > pro-P&S and virulently anti-DSLR.

    > I noticed that too, as well as that LG has been much better
    > behaved in some other threads. But the fanaticism was almost
    > certainly feigned for effect, and probably so boring and required so
    > much effort that if the "nym shifter" returned, it would probably
    > want to adopt a less strenuous guise. Or not. Maybe he'll return
    > some day as a Kodak fanatic! :)
    >
    > BTW, this morning I stumbled across my folk's old Bell & Howell
    > 8mm camera. Didn't use Li-Ion, NiMH or even alkalines. Maybe some
    > day there'll be a digital camera that also uses a windup key.
    > There's a rumor going around that Sigma's trying to acquire BayGen.

    Hello, ASAAR:

    That brings up pleasant memories of childhood, indeed: My family watching
    highly condensed, silent versions of "The Creature From the Black Lagoon"
    (1953), "This Island Earth" (1955) - and a few other small-reel wonders,
    as well - played by a little, old, Keystone movie projector.

    Ah, those were the (low-tech) days! :p

    Cordially,
    John Turco <>
    John Turco, May 4, 2008
  9. Alienjones

    John Turco Guest

    John Turco wrote:

    > ASAAR wrote:
    > >
    > > On Sun, 27 Apr 2008 05:04:29 -0500, John Turco wrote:
    > >
    > > > That same thought had briefly crossed my mind, also. Although (unlike
    > > > Lawrence Glickman), the "nym shifter" in question was both fanatically
    > > > pro-P&S and virulently anti-DSLR.

    > > I noticed that too, as well as that LG has been much better
    > > behaved in some other threads. But the fanaticism was almost
    > > certainly feigned for effect, and probably so boring and required so
    > > much effort that if the "nym shifter" returned, it would probably
    > > want to adopt a less strenuous guise. Or not. Maybe he'll return
    > > some day as a Kodak fanatic! :)
    > >
    > > BTW, this morning I stumbled across my folk's old Bell & Howell
    > > 8mm camera. Didn't use Li-Ion, NiMH or even alkalines. Maybe some
    > > day there'll be a digital camera that also uses a windup key.
    > > There's a rumor going around that Sigma's trying to acquire BayGen.

    > Hello, ASAAR:
    >
    > That brings up pleasant memories of childhood, indeed: My family watching
    > highly condensed, silent versions of "The Creature From the Black Lagoon"
    > (1953), "This Island Earth" (1955) - and a few other small-reel wonders,
    > as well - played by a little, old, Keystone movie projector.
    >
    > Ah, those were the (low-tech) days! :p
    >
    > Cordially,
    > John Turco <>

    Hello, ASAAR:

    Correction: "Creature From the Black Lagoon" (1954).

    Cordially,
    John Turco <>
    John Turco, May 4, 2008
  10. Alienjones

    ASAAR Guest

    On Sun, 04 May 2008 05:10:32 -0500, John Turco wrote:

    >> Ah, those were the (low-tech) days! :p

    > Hello, ASAAR:
    >
    > Correction: "Creature From the Black Lagoon" (1954).

    But no need for further correction, as the creature was only seen
    on a nice, but low-tech B&W TV screen. :) I assume it was in color
    as was "Invaders From Mars", which really benefited from its use of
    color.
    ASAAR, May 24, 2008
  11. Alienjones

    John Turco Guest

    ASAAR wrote:

    > On Sun, 04 May 2008 05:10:32 -0500, John Turco wrote:
    >
    > >> Ah, those were the (low-tech) days! :p

    > > Hello, ASAAR:
    > >
    > > Correction: "Creature From the Black Lagoon" (1954).

    > But no need for further correction, as the creature was only seen
    > on a nice, but low-tech B&W TV screen. :) I assume it was in color
    > as was "Invaders From Mars", which really benefited from its use of
    > color.

    Hello, ASAAR:

    No, it was shot in B&W, as were its two sequels, "Revenge of the Creature"
    (1955) and "The Creature Walks Among Us" (1956).

    Here are some "Gill-man" links:

    Wikipedia - Creature from the Black Lagoon
    <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creature_from_the_Black_Lagoon>

    Internet Movie Database (IMDb) - Creature from the Black Lagoon (2009)
    <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0485799>

    (Note: According to that second Web page, the upcoming movie remake will
    be in Technicolor!)

    Cordially,
    John Turco <>
    John Turco, May 27, 2008