Re: World's first photograph?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Alienjones, Apr 19, 2008.

  1. Alienjones

    Alienjones Guest

    ,

    http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/17/arts/design/17phot.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

    |>> Reference Beaumont Newhall. It was required reading back in college
    |>> days. I am an historian, technician, artist, and Man for all Seasons,
    |>> wrapped up into one >tight< package. My entire Life has been in
    |>> photography, and I am 63 years old. So...don't you think I should
    |>> know something about it by now?
    |> And yet...
    |
    | And yet what. I've worked for the biggest companies on the Planet,
    | not just the biggest but the BEST. I left my mark. And you? What
    | the hell have you done with your life.
    |
    | Matsushita/Panasonic/KME-Create/factory automation, senior engineering
    | technician
    | Agfa lab equipment senior engineering technician
    | Television engineer/student for Rochester Insitute of Technology
    | Guardian Photo Division (the same Guardian Inc. that makes auto glass)
    |
    | Studied at R.I.T., Rhode Island School of Design, have been Advanced
    | Class Ham Radio license holder (can't do that anymore because of heart
    | implant)....
    |
    | Studied under the likes of Harry Callahan, worked in photojournalism,
    | studio photography, commercial (advertising) photography, Industrial
    | photography, owned my own company.
    |
    | And you? WTF have you done? What the hell do you mean by "And yet"
    |
    | Lg

    Amazing.
    All this wealth of experience and knowledge and I have never heard of you.

    Me, the inventor of so many things photographic. Pioneer of masked
    printing on Cibachrome. Builder of many houses, owner of a wide format
    print centre and accomplished wedding photographer, qualified as a
    Tradesman Photographer in 1962. Publisher of numerous magazines. The
    present being a "planning wedding" publications.

    In my spare time, I run a wedding salon and portrait studio and yet...
    Your insignificance to everything I have ever done or heard about during
    this near 50 year long career of mine in photography is absolutely mind
    boggling. How could you have escaped my attention for so long?

    I was once a photo printing technician at Kodak Australia when they
    thought so little of their staff they never bothered to hand our dark
    glasses to the men and women who pioneered production film development
    in huge tanks of chemicals, standing in pitch black rooms un spooling
    film for 4 hours at a time.

    What have I missed here? Is it possible there may be another old fart in
    the universe still plying their trade? God man... Give me a call. It's
    bloody lonely out here in the cold with no one but a bunch of well
    educated, lateral thinking kids who can't spell and think speed graphic
    is some sort of new snorting drug.

    Ha,ha,ha... God I love braggart!

    - --

    from Douglas,
    If my PGP key is missing, the
    post is a forgery. Ignore it.

    Alienjones, Apr 19, 2008

  2. Alienjones

    tony cooper Guest

    On Sat, 19 Apr 2008 12:48:46 +1000, Alienjones
    <> wrote:

    >Amazing.
    >All this wealth of experience and knowledge and I have never heard of you.

    >Me, the inventor of so many things photographic.

    Damn. I've never heard of either one of you.

    It does seem that it would take a wide-angle lens to capture Mr
    Glickman's ego, though.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Apr 19, 2008

  3. Alienjones

    Alienjones Guest

    Alienjones, Apr 19, 2008
  4. Alienjones

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Sat, 19 Apr 2008 00:14:42 -0500, Lawrence Glickman
    <> wrote:
    : On Sat, 19 Apr 2008 14:59:13 +1000, Alienjones
    : <> wrote:
    :
    : >
    : >tony cooper wrote:
    : >| On Sat, 19 Apr 2008 12:48:46 +1000, Alienjones
    : >| <> wrote:
    : >|
    : >| |>>> "Lawrence Glickman" <> wrote:
    : >| |>>>
    : >|> Amazing.
    : >|> All this wealth of experience and knowledge and I have never heard of
    : >you.
    : >|
    : >|> Me, the inventor of so many things photographic.
    : >|
    : >| Damn. I've never heard of either one of you.
    : >|
    : >| It does seem that it would take a wide-angle lens to capture Mr
    : >| Glickman's ego, though.
    : >|
    : >|
    : >
    : >Would that be on an Ariflex or a one of those new fangled wooden cameras?
    : >
    : >The ari had some unique traits that made using wide lenses a bit of a
    : >task. I think they managed to solve the issue eventually.
    :
    : You *think* but haven't really, a *clue*
    :
    : >It was called the "Clickman solution". Lean forward so your shoes didn't
    : >get in the scene.
    :
    : >Revolutionary for the time but you get that when you have a wide ego and
    : >someone trying to get into the narro doorway of the CEO's office.
    :
    : Wedding photographer. FORMULA MAN. Great claim to fame. **** you
    : assholes. I've been admonished to not throw pearls to swine. Perhaps
    : it is time to heed the advice.

    Who told you that? Your headshrinker?

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Apr 20, 2008
  5. Alienjones

    Alienjones Guest

    Robert Coe wrote:
    | On Sat, 19 Apr 2008 00:14:42 -0500, Lawrence Glickman
    | <> wrote:
    | : On Sat, 19 Apr 2008 14:59:13 +1000, Alienjones
    | : <> wrote:
    | :
    | : >
    | : >tony cooper wrote:
    | : >| On Sat, 19 Apr 2008 12:48:46 +1000, Alienjones
    | : >| <> wrote:
    | : >|
    | : >| |>>> "Lawrence Glickman" <> wrote:
    | : >| |>>>
    | : >|> Amazing.
    | : >|> All this wealth of experience and knowledge and I have never
    heard of
    | : >you.
    | : >|
    | : >|> Me, the inventor of so many things photographic.
    | : >|
    | : >| Damn. I've never heard of either one of you.
    | : >|
    | : >| It does seem that it would take a wide-angle lens to capture Mr
    | : >| Glickman's ego, though.
    | : >|
    | : >|
    | : >
    | : >Would that be on an Ariflex or a one of those new fangled wooden
    cameras?
    | : >
    | : >The ari had some unique traits that made using wide lenses a bit of a
    | : >task. I think they managed to solve the issue eventually.
    | :
    | : You *think* but haven't really, a *clue*
    | :
    | : >It was called the "Clickman solution". Lean forward so your shoes
    didn't
    | : >get in the scene.
    | :
    | : >Revolutionary for the time but you get that when you have a wide
    ego and
    | : >someone trying to get into the narro doorway of the CEO's office.
    | :
    | : Wedding photographer. FORMULA MAN. Great claim to fame. **** you
    | : assholes. I've been admonished to not throw pearls to swine. Perhaps
    | : it is time to heed the advice.
    |
    | Who told you that? Your headshrinker?
    |
    | Bob

    Is he seeing one of those too?

    - --

    from Douglas,
    If my PGP key is missing, the
    post is a forgery. Ignore it.

    Alienjones, Apr 20, 2008
  6. Alienjones

    John Turco Guest

    Lawrence Glickman wrote:

    <edited for brevity>

    > I've earned my stripes. (Hash marks to you Navy types)

    Hello, Lawrence:

    Are you a corporal, yet? <g>

    > Film runs in my family.

    Really? Cowards run, in mine! :p

    > My BIL produced "The Deep" starring Jaqueline Bisset. You watched
    > his name scroll by at the end of the movie, or you didn't. He now
    > has his own TV show...do you know who he is? He makes more money
    > in a day, then all of you put together make in a week.
    >
    > Do you know HIS name? He is a multi-multi millionaire in Hollywood,
    > and if I told you his name you would say "who the **** is he"?

    Actually, the way I see it, "The Deep" (1977) starred Nick Nolte --
    who's an Omaha native, such as yours truly. (But, I never literally
    saw the motion picture in question. <g>)

    > I have a newphew on Wall Street, who can buy the town you live in.
    > Have you ever heard of him? If I told you his name, would you
    > recognize it? I don't think so.

    Hey, was this another of your illustrious kin, below?

    Wikipedia - Marty Glickman
    <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marty_Glickman>

    "Martin 'Marty' Glickman (August 14, 1917 - January 3, 2001) was a
    Jewish American track and field athlete and sports announcer, born
    in The Bronx, New York."

    Cordially,
    John Turco <>

    John Turco, Apr 22, 2008
  7. Alienjones

    John Turco Guest

    George Kerby wrote:

    > On 4/18/08 10:12 PM, in article ,
    > "Lawrence Glickman" <> wrote:

    <heavily edited for brevity>

    > > I'm still waiting...for Cynicor to answer the question.
    > >
    > > And you? Bragging rights? Never heard of you. I forgot to mention I
    > > was ALSO a cinematographer for Nalco Chemical Company. Ever shot a
    > > production with a Arriflex? I didn't think so. I suppose you never
    > > heard of them either.
    > >

    > You most likely think Nagra is a race.

    Hello, George:

    Why, of course, it's a race! Except, I just wanna know one thing: Is it
    NASCAR, USAC or Formula One? <g>

    Cordially,
    John Turco <>

    John Turco, Apr 22, 2008
  8. Alienjones

    ASAAR Guest

    On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 22:51:12 -0500, John Turco wrote:

    >> You most likely think Nagra is a race.

    > Hello, George:
    >
    > Why, of course, it's a race! Except, I just wanna know one thing: Is it
    > NASCAR, USAC or Formula One? <g>

    Dunno, unless it's the one Danica just won. Yeah. That's the
    ticket!

    ASAAR, Apr 22, 2008
  9. Alienjones

    John Turco Guest

    ASAAR wrote:

    > On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 22:51:12 -0500, John Turco wrote:
    >
    > >> You most likely think Nagra is a race.

    > > Hello, George:
    > >
    > > Why, of course, it's a race! Except, I just wanna know one thing: Is it
    > > NASCAR, USAC or Formula One? <g>

    > Dunno, unless it's the one Danica just won. Yeah. That's the
    > ticket!

    Hello, ASAAR:

    Sorry, man, but "powder puff derbies" simply don't count. What's next...the
    "Playtex 500," perhaps? :p

    Cordially,
    John Turco <>

    John Turco, Apr 27, 2008
  10. Alienjones

    ASAAR Guest

    On Sun, 27 Apr 2008 05:04:51 -0500, John Turco wrote:

    >> Dunno, unless it's the one Danica just won. Yeah. That's the
    >> ticket!

    > Hello, ASAAR:
    >
    > Sorry, man, but "powder puff derbies" simply don't count. What's next...the
    > "Playtex 500," perhaps? :p

    That's a real stretch . . .

    ASAAR, Apr 29, 2008
  11. Alienjones

    John Turco Guest

    ASAAR wrote:

    > On Sun, 27 Apr 2008 05:04:51 -0500, John Turco wrote:
    >
    > >> Dunno, unless it's the one Danica just won. Yeah. That's the
    > >> ticket!

    > > Hello, ASAAR:
    > >
    > > Sorry, man, but "powder puff derbies" simply don't count. What's next...the
    > > "Playtex 500," perhaps? :p

    > That's a real stretch . . .

    Hello, ASAAR:

    Ha! I had a feeling that you'd write something obvious, like that (which is why
    I'd refrained from using, "Kotex 500").

    Kotex could've implied a "bloody" crash, if you know what I mean? With Playtex,
    on the other hand, the cars would've been merely trying to "girdle" the race
    track! <g>

    Cordially,
    John Turco <>

    John Turco, May 4, 2008
  12. Alienjones

    John Turco Guest

    Allen wrote:

    > John Turco wrote:

    <edited for brevity>

    > > Kotex could've implied a "bloody" crash, if you know what I mean? With Playtex,
    > > on the other hand, the cars would've been merely trying to "girdle" the race
    > > track! <g>
    > >

    > Anybody else here old enough to remember when Kotex and Modess (as far
    > as I know, the only products of the sort back then) were wrapped in
    > plain brown paper for display in stores? No indication on the packages
    > or on the shelf price tags at all. For several years I wondered what
    > they were. Times have changed somewhat--I wouldn't be surprised to see
    > ads on TV showing just how to apply or insert them.
    > Allen

    Hello, Allen:

    Well, as a child, I once saw a used sanitary napkin, floating in the toilet;
    a rather traumatizing experience, to be sure. ;-)

    Cordially,
    John Turco <>

    John Turco, May 9, 2008