Re: Woooooooooosh

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by The Other Guy, Sep 11, 2003.

  1. It means they will take the median user, and if your usage is greater than
    10 times what they use, then they will contact you to discuss you plan.

    E.g. if the median user always uses 500MB, then those who consistently use
    5000 or more will be contacted. If you believe Telecom, the average user
    uses less than this.

    The Other Guy

    "TEX" <> wrote in message news:3f603040$...
    > PJ wrote:
    >
    > > Hey Group,
    > >
    > > I'm sure by now we all heard of the new woosh wireless service. And

    after
    > > reading various articles today, I'm still puzzled by the statements

    below.
    > > <quote from computerworld>
    > > "We'll take a median usage level and set the bar at about 10 times that
    > > level. If you're consistently over that we'll be in touch to see if you
    > > aren't better suited to a different plan." Smith says it will be a

    "customer
    > > service" contact rather than an "unpleasant experience"
    > > </quote from computerworld>
    > >
    > > What exactly is the median usage level? Does anyone have any info on

    this?

    The Other Guy, Sep 11, 2003

  2. The Other Guy

    T.N.O. Guest

    "samg" wrote
    > the key will be if they are going to actually wait and see what their

    users
    > median usage is or if they already have a preset number in mind (most
    > likely).

    They would have to have a preset number in mind... it would be part of their
    business planning stage, somewhere along the lines of "Jo Average will dl x
    amount of warez, so we have to charge x to get a decent return on it"
    T.N.O., Sep 11, 2003

  3. The Other Guy

    steve Guest

    The Other Guy wrote:
    > It means they will take the median user, and if your usage is greater than
    > 10 times what they use, then they will contact you to discuss you plan.
    >
    > E.g. if the median user always uses 500MB, then those who consistently use
    > 5000 or more will be contacted. If you believe Telecom, the average user
    > uses less than this.

    They're too scared to use more.

    If they aren't scare, they will use more.

    I couldn't exist within 500MB. I'd go back to using a dial-up connection.

    I have a 3GB cap on my TC cable modem account...and I stay under that
    95% of the time.....probably averaging 1.5GB / month.....and bear in
    mind TC measure domestic NZ traffic as 10% of international. A Gigabyte
    within NZ is only worth 100MB of your quota.

    That extra GB would cost me $200 / month - minimum....and far more if
    they valued domestic traffic the same as international traffic.

    Telecom is a rip-off, frankly. Vurtually every other option is
    better......but limited by the fact that it costs too much to build
    parallel infrastructure...and some monkey (Richard Prebble) sold the
    local loop for some fraction of $4.4Billion......when it would cost 10
    times that to build the equivalent from scratch.

    When prebble tells you governement doesn't know what its doing, best to
    assume he's speaking for himself.
    steve, Sep 23, 2003