Re: "Wizard of Oz" some alternative opinion.

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by will.dockery@gmail.com, Jun 2, 2013.

  1. Guest

    MBoyd00000 wrote:
    > >This is from www.amazon.com. I've never seen a classic slammed
    > >like this. It's quite interesting.
    > >
    > >"
    > >Tom Lee () from United States , October 24, 1999
    > >A horrible film translation of a classic story
    > >I find this movie to be an abominable mess. Having grown up reading the Oz
    > >books I have been waiting for an acceptable film version of my favorite
    > >book series. Wizard of Oz is garbage in my opinion. The worst part is how
    > >the film makes you think Dorothy dreamt of her trip to Oz!!! If you have
    > >read the books you know this isn't true. Also her shoes are supposed to be
    > >silver, not ruby. Read the books and trust me, the movie will seem like
    > >trash. Or buy Return to Oz, which is a MUCH better book to film translation
    > >than the VERY unforgettable Wizard of Oz. L. Frank Baum would not allow
    > >this sloppy translation of a movie to be released if he were alive. It's a
    > >good thing he can't see what Hollywood did to his beloved Oz. TERRIBLE!!

    > I read most of the Baum books as kid myself and enjoyed them very much. Of
    > course I saw the movie before I read any of the books. I was amazed to find
    > many of my friends didn't realize there was a whole series of Oz books and the
    > musical was not the original version. I think there is room for the musical
    > interpretation and it's a classic (the DVD really brought back some memories,
    > haven't seen it in years), but I wouldn't mind seeing new non musical Oz movies
    > as well.
    >
    > I never have seen Return To Oz but vaguely recall the cartoon movie from the
    > 70's that had Liza Minelli as Dorthy. That could be an interesting DVD.
    >

    > Michael Boyd
    >
    > To read my Seinfeld Spec Script, The Tessmacher Chair, copy and paste this link
    >
    > http://members.aol.com/mboyd00000/seinfeldspecscript.index.html

    The new Oz film from Disney is very likable, in my opinion.

    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Film/OzTheGreatAndPowerful

    Played by Joey King as both the little crippled girl in Kansas & China Girl: "Joey King's facial features are reflected with the China Girl, which also parallels the crippled girl who wishes to be able to walk but Oz cannot oblige..."
    , Jun 2, 2013