Re: Wits' End method - a question

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by The Puppy Wizard, Sep 29, 2003.

  1. HOWEDY Chris,

    "Chris Nellist" <>
    wrote in message news:Xns94056FAC05B5Dpnellist@195.92.193.157...
    > Jerry,
    >
    > I am reading your Wits' End manual with interest.
    > We plan to get a puppy in a few months time and
    > are in the "reading up" stage.
    >
    > If I might ask you a question, about the "noise
    > from the can" method:
    >
    > how does it work if a dog shows interest in
    > the can, e.g. goes up and sniffs it when
    > it's dropped, sees it as some kind of toy?

    That's usually caused by bad timing, not praising instantly
    to the sHOWEND or not praising exuberantly or sincerely
    enough or the can making a prolonged sHOWEND.

    We break the dog of chasing the fallen can with the next
    distract / praise, and failing that, ask him to come and follow
    through with the come command, and then ask the pup to
    give up the can and thank him for it.

    > Cheers,

    WON of my pups will rush to retrieve it and may even drop
    it intentionally if the other dog for whom it was used failed
    to respond. That's not the first dog I've owned who'd drop
    a can for another dog's inappriate behaviors!!!

    > Chris

    Yours, The Puppy Wizard. <} ; ~ ) >

    The Puppy Wizard, Sep 29, 2003

  2. The Puppy Wizard

    Paul H. Guest

    "The Puppy Wizard" <> wrote in message

    > WON of my pups will rush to retrieve it and may even drop
    > it intentionally if the other dog for whom it was used failed
    > to respond. That's not the first dog I've owned who'd drop
    > a can for another dog's inappriate behaviors!!!
    >
    > > Chris

    > Yours, The Puppy Wizard. <} ; ~ ) >

    OK, I'll give you my secret to Doggy Discipline, in the fervent hope you'll
    stop posting this nonsense to non-dog-related newsgroups. The technique
    for developing a well-behaved puppy is so profound yet so simple you'll be
    surprised you didn't think of it yourself years ago; the method is
    foolproof, permanent, and relatively inexpensive compared to months of
    obedience training, purchasing books, leashes etc. Ready for the real info,
    the fundamental puppy-training insight? Well, here it is, in a single word:

    Taxidermy.

    That's it. A breath or two of "calming gas", a few nips and tucks and no
    more bad behaviour or inappropriate barking! Fido will forever have that
    puppy-like glow in his little glassy eyes and will always be "best of show",
    at least for one particular pose.

    Now go away.

    Paul H., Sep 29, 2003

  3. The Puppy Wizard

    Mike Guest

    "Paul H." <> wrote in message

    > OK, I'll give you my secret to Doggy Discipline, in the fervent hope

    you'll
    > stop posting this nonsense to non-dog-related newsgroups. The technique
    > for developing a well-behaved puppy is so profound yet so simple you'll be
    > surprised you didn't think of it yourself years ago; the method is
    > foolproof, permanent, and relatively inexpensive compared to months of
    > obedience training, purchasing books, leashes etc. Ready for the real

    info,
    > the fundamental puppy-training insight? Well, here it is, in a single

    word:

    > Taxidermy.
    >
    > That's it. A breath or two of "calming gas", a few nips and tucks and no
    > more bad behaviour or inappropriate barking! Fido will forever have that
    > puppy-like glow in his little glassy eyes and will always be "best of

    show",
    > at least for one particular pose.
    >
    > Now go away.

    LMAO !!!!!!!! To damn funny

    Mike, Sep 29, 2003
  4. Thank you, paul. HOWEver, The Puppy Wizard prefers freez drying.

    Might wanna look into it as a superior alternative to taxidermy?

    The Puppy Wizard. <} ; ~ ) >

    "Paul H." <> wrote in message

    > "The Puppy Wizard" <> wrote in

    message

    The Puppy Wizard, Sep 29, 2003
  5. Funny yes. As good as freeze drying? NO.

    The Puppy Wizard. <} ; ~ ) >

    The Puppy Wizard, Sep 29, 2003
  6. The Puppy Wizard

    Paul Foster Guest

    Excellent!
    Too funny :)

    Paul Foster, Sep 29, 2003
  7. HOWEDY Chris,

    "Chris Nellist" <>
    wrote in message news:Xns9405AEC12B213pnellist@195.92.193.157...
    > "The Puppy Wizard" <> wrote in
    >
    > > HOWEDY Chris,
    > >
    > > "Chris Nellist"

    <>
    > > wrote in message

    > >> Jerry,
    > >>
    > >> I am reading your Wits' End manual with interest.
    > >> We plan to get a puppy in a few months time and
    > >> are in the "reading up" stage.
    > >>
    > >> If I might ask you a question, about the "noise
    > >> from the can" method:

    For SHORE!

    > >> how does it work if a dog shows interest in
    > >> the can, e.g. goes up and sniffs it when
    > >> it's dropped, sees it as some kind of toy?

    > > That's usually caused by bad timing, not praising instantly
    > > to the sHOWEND or not praising exuberantly or sincerely
    > > enough or the can making a prolonged sHOWEND.

    > > We break the dog of chasing the fallen can with the next
    > > distract / praise, and failing that, ask him to come and

    follow
    > > through with the come command, and then ask the pup to
    > > give up the can and thank him for it.

    > Thanks Jerry.

    The pleasure is all MINE.

    > Please excuse my confusion,

    NO PROBLEMO. You have carte blanch on The
    Puppy Wizard's time and effort.

    > but when the can method is used to try to teach the dog
    > not to misbehave,

    Well, we CAN'T TEACH him "not to do" what he's not thinkin...

    > what exactly should be praised -

    The INSTANT of the sHOWEND or non physical distraction.

    > is it a) the ceasing of the behaviour,

    NOOOO! That's LONG AFTER the thought of the behavior has elapsed!

    > b) the looking at the can,

    That would indicate your timing is off or the can made a
    prolonged sHOWEND. ANY SHOWEND is acceptable,
    even a air conditioning system clicking on or off at the
    right instant, will suffice, so long as we do not use the
    same distraction twice in a row, cause it'll lose it's
    RANDOMNESS.

    > c) the looking at the owner,

    WE ALWAYS PRAISE EVERY BRIEF EYE CONTACT.

    > or d) the dog's moving of his attention away from what he's

    doing

    THE BEHAVIOR HAS NUTHIN TO DO WITH THE TECHNIQUE.

    We create a brief, variable, non physical distraction and PRAISE
    IT
    and allHOWE the dog to continue whatever he desires, hopefully
    he'll
    resume the UNDESIRABLE BEHAVIOR so we have another OPPORTUNITY
    to INTERRUPT HIS THOUGHT SEVERAL TIMES IN SUCCESSION, as it's
    being formulated, WHICH WILL EFFECTIVELY EXTINGUISH THE THOUGHT
    of the undesirable behavoir, thought the process of NON
    FULFILLMENT.

    > and towards the sound,

    If the dog acknowledges the SHOWEND we're not praising exuberantly
    or spontaneHOWESLY enough. If you have difficulty with the timing
    we
    can demonstrate that on the phone or msn.

    > being a reflex thing when he HEARS the sound,

    PRECISELY. We follow the technique rapidly and withHOWET
    regard for the dog's PHYSICAL BEHAVIOR, we're working on
    HIS THOUGHT PROCESS.

    > and not necessarily involving him actually looking at the can?

    INDEEDY! The dog should NOT LOOK towards the can, ideally.
    If he DOES, WE NEED MOORE EXUBERANT PRAISE to bring
    his thoughts back to us, but we do not want to bring him HOWET
    of the situation he's in, we WANT TO TEMPT HIM to resume the
    behavior.

    These techniques are FAST and NON PHYSICAL, so waitin
    to SEE a response would be CONTRAWIZE.

    > I'm expecting you to answer (d) here, but want to check that I
    > understand the method properly.

    NOPE! You're still a tad CONfused. That's O.K., we'll work on
    it till you understand the TIMING TONE and TEMPO.

    > And on the second and fourth distract/praise, does it matter
    > whether the dog looks at the can or at the owner?

    That's the process of INSTALLING a command as a conditioned
    reflex. IOW, when we're BREAKING a thought, we interrupt it
    EACH TIME using a variably alternating distraction.

    When we're TEACHING a behavior we "emphasize" the key
    or cue or command word EVERY OTHER TIME, allHOWEING
    the dog the OPPORTUNITY to RESPOND based on the LAST
    INSTANCE, and follow through with the technique till the C/R is
    INSTALLED and then the dog will always REFLEX to your
    command withHOWET even thinkin, like as if someWON tossed
    you a can of beer, you'd snatch it HOWETA the air withHOWET
    even THINKIN abHOWET it.

    > I still have to get my head round the idea that a small
    > object (the can) is used, being thrown in interaction
    > with the dog, but it's not a game and the dog isn't
    > supposed to touch it.

    Right. ANY SHOWEND will suffice. A can is a handy source
    of sHOWEND to alternate the distracton to keep it RANDOM.
    See "Beans & Beer" method.

    If your pup wants to chase the can, we simply follow the D/P
    technique on that can, and so on and so on, and if we've
    expired several cans, we return to the FIRST WON tossed
    and continue the technique, UNLESS we're PRESSED by
    a dangerHOWES or unacceptable situation, at which point
    we'd GIVE UP on the D/P and rely on the CR of the COME
    command, and later set it up again to resume the lesson in
    a safe envrionment.

    > I haven't any experience training dogs -

    THAT is and ADVANTAGE, cause you've got no BAD HABITS
    or MISTAKEN IDEAS as HOWER dog lovers here got... who
    REFUSE to stop jerking and choking and shoking and locking
    their dogs in boxes to force control of behaviors they do not
    have the INTELLECT to HOWEtwit.

    > I'm trying to learn fast -

    You're doin GREAT. Mistakes are part of the learning process
    through which we learn PERFECTION. The Puppy Wizard still
    makes mistakes on frequent occasion. The BEAUTY of this
    method is that mistakes are EZ to compensate for on the next
    OPPORTUNITY, as we're not using any AVERSION.

    > the only experience I've had in throwing things for dogs is as a

    game.

    Good. We gently lob the can or whatever beyond the dog and
    INSTANTLY
    PRAISE for 5-15 seconds, and intermittenly for moments for as long
    as
    the pup is THINKING of the situation.

    > > WON of my pups will rush to retrieve it and may even drop
    > > it intentionally if the other dog for whom it was used failed
    > > to respond. That's not the first dog I've owned who'd drop
    > > a can for another dog's inappriate behaviors!!!

    > A lot of dogs are a lot brighter than many people think! :)

    All dogs are. The PROBLEM is, most have been STIFFLED
    by CORRECTIONS FEAR FORCE and INTMIIDATION, so
    they're INHIBITED to TAKE INITIATIVE for FEAR of makin
    a MISTAKE. Mistakes are LEARNING OPPORTUNITIES.

    HOWER dog lovers FEAR mistakes cause they're AFRAID
    the dog will LEARN THE MISTAKE!!! That's ABUSURD, but
    that's HOWE IT IS when we use aversion pain intimidation and
    AVOIDANCE of behaivors we fear.

    > Cheers, and thanks again for your help,

    Thank you for being a dilligent student!

    > Chris

    Your Puppy Wizard. <} ; ~ ) >

    The Puppy Wizard, Sep 29, 2003