Re: Wireless Zero Configuration still not fixed in SP1

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Pavel A., Mar 29, 2008.

  1. Pavel A.

    Pavel A. Guest

    "JohnDavid" <> wrote in message
    > Another solution (workaround) is the use of Gibson's (www.grc.com) Wizmo
    > multi-utility. It's "Wanlock" feature is used to disable the Wireless
    > Zero
    > Configuration service after a satisfactory wireless connection has been
    > established.

    Ok, I've looked at Vista Anti-Lag by Julian Meisel (
    http://www.codecase.de )

    Basically it seems to use the documented API of Vista, WlanSetInterface, to
    set parameter
    wlan_intf_opcode_background_scan_enabled and maybe also
    wlan_intf_opcode_media_streaming_mode.

    This API is the documented way to suspend scanning by the OS WLAN
    configuration,
    and the device driver as well.

    This situation is similar to starting a long operation like backup or CD
    burning:
    there's some API that prevents the system from going to standby.
    Games or media apps that communicate over wi-fi are supposed to use the
    above API
    to avoid disruptions.
    Anyway, the intention to have the OS automagically detect and handle this
    have not
    been realized, so we just have to thank Julian for this very handy utility.

    Regards,
    --PA

    Pavel A., Mar 29, 2008

  2. Pavel A.

    p3rseus Guest

    I too had this problem, I can't believe we had to resort to a third-party
    software for a fix, Microsoft should have provided something to fix this a
    long time ago. I switched to Vista as soon as it was out and I thought SP1
    would solve this, it didn't. I've always gotten the latest Windows OS out but
    this has taught me to be more cautious of future Windows releases. Anyways,
    thanks to whoever posted the vista anti-lag, after such a long time searching
    for a solution, it's about time. Hopefully Microsoft will respond better to
    issues like this in the future, it's such a simple fix too.

    p3rseus, Mar 30, 2008

  3. Pavel A.

    Moka Guest

    Agreed. Thanks.