Re: Wireless Routers and Cable Service

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Evan Platt, Mar 7, 2009.

  1. Evan Platt

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Sat, 07 Mar 2009 01:16:37 -0500, wrote:

    >Just to clarify, the slowdown I'm concerned with is on my desktop, which is hard
    >wired to the modem and router. I could understand not getting maximum speed
    >through the wireless connection.

    Ok... so take a look at the (at least) 3 replies you have...

    Evan Platt, Mar 7, 2009

  2. Evan Platt

    M.L. Guest

    >I use Optimum On Line and they advertise "up to 15Mbps" on their service. I have
    >a dedicated line coming into the modem. Doesn't share my cable TV. Lately, I've
    >been getting way less than what I consider an decent speed. After two phone
    >calls to tech support, they sent a tech out today. He says that my signal into
    >the modem is fine. Even a little above average. But he also said that the fact
    >that I have a wireless router hooked up, can slow down the signal to my computer
    >which is why I see low speeds when I test it at a site like Speedtest.net.

    >>>Just to clarify, the slowdown I'm concerned with is on my desktop, which is hard
    >>>wired to the modem and router. I could understand not getting maximum speed
    >>>through the wireless connection.

    >>>Ok... so take a look at the (at least) 3 replies you have...

    >I did try the connection with the router out of the loop and still get slower
    >than expected speeds. I understand that 15Mbps is maximum under optimal
    >conditions, but 1,000, 2,000, 3,000 kb/s? And the other night, it was 757kb/s...
    >5% of their maximum advertised!

    Call the tech again and let him diagnose your problem without the
    router connected.

    M.L., Mar 7, 2009

  3. Evan Platt

    G. Morgan Guest

    wrote:

    >I did try the connection with the router out of the loop and still get slower
    >than expected speeds. I understand that 15Mbps is maximum under optimal
    >conditions, but 1,000, 2,000, 3,000 kb/s? And the other night, it was 757kb/s...
    >5% of their maximum advertised!

    Do you know how to access the cable modem configuration via HTTP?

    G. Morgan, Mar 7, 2009
  4. Evan Platt

    G. Morgan Guest

    wrote:

    >On Sat, 7 Mar 2009 19:50:23 +0000 (UTC), G. Morgan <> wrote:
    >
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I did try the connection with the router out of the loop and still get slower
    >>>than expected speeds. I understand that 15Mbps is maximum under optimal
    >>>conditions, but 1,000, 2,000, 3,000 kb/s? And the other night, it was 757kb/s...
    >>>5% of their maximum advertised!

    >>Do you know how to access the cable modem configuration via HTTP?
    >>

    >Not a clue. Any hints?

    Yeah, I just wanted to know if you were up to it.

    The easy way is to plug a PC directly into the modem (leave out the router for
    now). Once connectivity is established open a command prompt and type
    "ipconfig /all". Look for the default gateway ip.

    Now open a web browser and goto http://x.x.x.x.x <-- the gateway IP

    Do that and report back on results and the model# for your cable modem.

    G. Morgan, Mar 7, 2009
  5. G. Morgan wrote:

    > The easy way is to plug a PC directly into the modem (leave out the router for
    > now).

    First make sure the firewall is turned on and working... ;-)

    --
    -bts
    -"Windows - Life Without Wallsâ„¢" <-- recent MS TV ad

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Mar 7, 2009
  6. Evan Platt

    G. Morgan Guest

    §ñühw¤£f wrote:

    >Unlikely. Do 'netstat -an' to get better info you gormless fuckchop.

    How is that going to help him find the cable modem's IP?

    >Hey!@! Now check my hederz...d00d!

    That picture of Stewie looks familiar.

    >Bitchin, huh?

    Thief.

    Hey, I'm trying to help somebody here, so run along and play... Daddy will be
    right back with you when the adults are finished, sweetie.

    G. Morgan, Mar 8, 2009