Re: Wireless Routers and Cable Service

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Whiskers, Mar 6, 2009.

  1. Whiskers

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2009-03-06, <> wrote:
    > I use Optimum On Line and they advertise "up to 15Mbps" on their service. I have
    > a dedicated line coming into the modem. Doesn't share my cable TV. Lately, I've
    > been getting way less than what I consider an decent speed. After two phone
    > calls to tech support, they sent a tech out today. He says that my signal into
    > the modem is fine. Even a little above average. But he also said that the fact
    > that I have a wireless router hooked up, can slow down the signal to my computer
    > which is why I see low speeds when I test it at a site like Speedtest.net. Why
    > would my router be sloing down my speeds? It's a Linksys router that's maybe
    > four years old. Is it possible that newer routers don't slow things down? If so,
    > I'll buy a new one. And I also updated the firmware on the router to see if that
    > helped, which it didn't. If it matters, I'm using WIndows XP Pro on a P4 3.2Ghz
    > machine with 2Gb RAM. Thanks.

    If your WiFi router and computer are connecting at less than the available
    speed of the internet connection, then your WiFi may well be slowing you
    down. Try a 100Mbps wired connection to the router and see if that makes
    any difference.

    You might be able to improve the performance of your Wireless connection
    by moving the computer or the router, or both, to get a better signal.

    --
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Mar 6, 2009