Re: Wireless Routers and Cable Service

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Mar 6, 2009.

  1. wrote:

    > I use Optimum On Line and they advertise "up to 15Mbps" on their
    > service. I have a dedicated line coming into the modem. Doesn't share
    > my cable TV. Lately, I've been getting way less than what I consider
    > an decent speed. After two phone calls to tech support, they sent a
    > tech out today. He says that my signal into the modem is fine. Even a
    > little above average. But he also said that the fact that I have a
    > wireless router hooked up, can slow down the signal to my computer

    Test this. Don't use the wireless; use an Ethernet cable and go direct.
    Retest your speed. Wireless is (almost) always slower than a direct
    connection to the same pipe.

    I've got RoadRunner 10Mbps, and usually get 9.3-9.7 except after school
    and early evening when it may dip to 7.5-8.0...

    (Yes, Optimum is cable, Evan... New York City and surrounding area.
    <g>)

    http://optimum.com/support/optimum_stores.jsp

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Mar 6, 2009

  2. Beauregard T. Shagnasty

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Fri, 6 Mar 2009 16:08:35 -0500, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
    <> wrote:

    >(Yes, Optimum is cable, Evan... New York City and surrounding area.
    ><g>)
    >
    >http://optimum.com/support/optimum_stores.jsp

    Yeah, I was lazy. :-D

    Evan Platt, Mar 6, 2009