Re: Wireless Routers and Cable Service

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Evan Platt, Mar 6, 2009.

  1. Evan Platt

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Fri, 06 Mar 2009 14:42:16 -0500, wrote:

    >I use Optimum On Line and they advertise "up to 15Mbps" on their service. I have
    >a dedicated line coming into the modem. Doesn't share my cable TV. Lately, I've
    >been getting way less than what I consider an decent speed. After two phone
    >calls to tech support, they sent a tech out today. He says that my signal into
    >the modem is fine. Even a little above average. But he also said that the fact
    >that I have a wireless router hooked up, can slow down the signal to my computer
    >which is why I see low speeds when I test it at a site like Speedtest.net. Why
    >would my router be sloing down my speeds? It's a Linksys router that's maybe
    >four years old. Is it possible that newer routers don't slow things down? If so,
    >I'll buy a new one. And I also updated the firmware on the router to see if that
    >helped, which it didn't. If it matters, I'm using WIndows XP Pro on a P4 3.2Ghz
    >machine with 2Gb RAM. Thanks.

    Is OptOnline a cable or DSL service? I'm guessing at 15 mbps, it's
    cable. And Up to means under optimal conditions - ie with no one else
    on. Cable is essentially a shared service. You share the connection
    with everyone else on the same node as you.

    Try www.2wire.com 's speed test. What speed does it say you're
    getting?
    Evan Platt, Mar 6, 2009