RE: Wireless Repeater

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by =?Utf-8?B?QXJyZ2g=?=, Aug 19, 2004.

  1. I bought a second D-Link DRW2100AP Access Point because the product
    literature claimed it could be easily configured in repeater mode to extend
    the range of my first one, which was being used in access point mode.
    Nowhere of course was there a mention that this only works with a special
    D-Link wireless utility that only works if the wireless OC card is D-Link.
    Neither the Windows XP wireless utility nor the ones that come with HP or
    Dell wireless laptops will work. Seriously deceptive advertising.

    After 5 calls to tech service finally someone asked the obvious question
    (are all wireless cards D-Link?) and told me the truth. Unless I scrap all
    the non-D-Link wireless cards on my network and buy D-Link ones repeating
    will not work. Arrgh. One thing I will NOT do is buy more D-Link. I think
    we are both out of luck with D-Link. If you need to repeat wait until
    Netgear or Buffalo advertise solutions that will work for you. At least
    their claims might be true.

    By the way I also got the line about a "third party utility" but absolutely
    no suggestion as to who has one or where one might be found. Thanks D-Link.

    =?Utf-8?B?QXJyZ2g=?=, Aug 19, 2004