Re: Wireless Range Extender for Mac Mini?

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by danny burstein, Feb 28, 2013.

  1. [snip... regarding a Mac Mini that's missing hitting
    an access point by "that much"]

    If both houses are fed by the same transformer,
    a poweline adapter set might be a good option.

    For some reason there's a heavy amount of resistance
    to using them, but they do often work.

    Another suggestion that you did mention was using
    an external WiFi unit. THat is, in fact, what
    I was doing in a similar situation. I have a
    Hawking, something or another, about the size
    of two cigarettes wrapped together, that plugs
    into a USB port on my Mac. I then have a 15 foot
    USB cable which lets me stick the Hawking over
    by my window.

    So yes, those can succeed. But... you won't really
    know until you try it.

    danny burstein, Feb 28, 2013

  2. danny burstein

    DevilsPGD Guest

    In the last episode of <kgmk8a$cut$>, danny burstein
    <> said:

    >If both houses are fed by the same transformer,
    >a poweline adapter set might be a good option.
    >
    >For some reason there's a heavy amount of resistance
    >to using them, but they do often work.

    The resistance is usually just due to their inherent unreliability, plus
    the fact that you never really know if they'll work until you invest.

    For example, if your house is fed by two 120V circuits on different
    phases (designed to offer 240V to specific appliances), it will only
    work on half of a single house, and half of your neighbour's house,
    despite being fed from the same transformer.

    That's not to say they're an inherently bad solution, it's just less
    than ideal.

    --
    The nice thing about standards, there is enough for everyone to have their own.
    DevilsPGD, Mar 1, 2013