Re: Wireless printing

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Malke, Dec 14, 2006.

  1. Malke

    Malke Guest

    moe103 wrote:

    > I am working with Windows XP Pro, have set up my laptop for wireless
    > operation and this works fine. I have a Brothers 3240 ,all in one
    > printer ,and want to be able to print to it from the laptop
    > wirelessly. I installed on the lap top the printer drivers from the
    > Brothers printer. The printer is plugged into a USB 2 port. Is there
    > anything else I should have to do, to be able to print from the
    > laptop. At the present, when I click print it shows printing on the
    > laptop, but does not print at the printer. Thanks for any advice on
    > this. Moe

    You need to share the printer from the computer where it is connected.
    If the Brother is correctly shared, does the printer show up in the
    laptop's Printers Control Panel applet? If not, then go through the Add
    Printer routine. Check the documentation on the Brother for further
    details about networking.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    Malke, Dec 14, 2006

  2. Hi
    Usually the installation is done as noted above by Malke. Log to Control
    Panel / Printers.. Click on Add a Printer when the wiz start choose the
    network printer option (last one) and follow the wiz.
    While installing disable temporarily the Firewalls on both computers
    Howvever, the Brother drivers are "Finicky" sometimes it takes few times
    before they install correctly. Read the instruction on the CD, I do not
    remember whether the drivers have to be install before trying to Add a
    networked printer, or during the process.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Dec 14, 2006

  3. Malke

    Malke Guest

    Jack (MVP-Networking). wrote:

    > Hi
    > Usually the installation is done as noted above by Malke. Log to
    > Control Panel / Printers.. Click on Add a Printer when the wiz start
    > choose the network printer option (last one) and follow the wiz.
    > While installing disable temporarily the Firewalls on both computers
    > Howvever, the Brother drivers are "Finicky" sometimes it takes few
    > times before they install correctly. Read the instruction on the CD, I
    > do not remember whether the drivers have to be install before trying
    > to Add a networked printer, or during the process.
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >
    > "moe103" <> wrote in message
    >> Thanks : The printer does show in the laptop window . I went thru the
    >> whole
    >> thing but to no avail.
    >> I installed the drivers from the printer disk and then followed the
    >> instruction for the rest of the sequence.
    >> -- Installed drivers on laptop , made sure sharing was clicked on
    >> main computer, then checked that printer shows on laptop.clicked on
    >> this and then
    >> share this printer, named printer the same as the main one and
    >> clicked ok .Tried to print but didn't have any success. Have I missed
    >> something there from what you see. Thanks again.

    I completely agree with Jack. I've had similar problems with networking
    Brother printers before. The last one I did was some fancy all-in-one
    for a client. I finally got it working after trying at least 4
    different ways and cursing a lot. I felt like I had zoomed back into
    the past and was installing a printer on Win95 where if you just banged
    on it enough the operating system gave up and installed the damn
    printer.

    If Jack's suggestion doesn't work, try using the local printer option in
    the Add New Printer wizard. Browse for it. When all else fails, turn
    everything off, power up the printer, power up the computers and see if
    the major rebooting helps.

    I'm sorry to not be more precise about this but I had the same
    experience as you with my client's computer and honestly, I can't
    remember what I did to finally win.

    Malke

    Malke, Dec 14, 2006
  4. Jack/Malke
    Just to let you know that we ,my son,finally got the printer to work on the
    network.I removed the ,all in one, one , and used a plain printer. He was
    able then to get it to be recognized on the laptop. He thought it was the all
    in one printer that gave me the headache.
    Thanks again for all you help and I really appreciate it . You guys really
    narrowed it down for us.
    --
    moe

    =?Utf-8?B?bW9lMTAz?=, Dec 17, 2006