Re: Wireless Networking: PCI-E vs USB

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Frank Williams, Apr 5, 2013.

  1. On Fri, 05 Apr 2013 16:55:39 +1300, Crash McBash
    <> wrote:

    >I have a PC running Win 7 which is currently connected to my home
    >network via an ethernet cable. I am looking to move this PC away from
    >the router so some form of WIFI connection will be needed - and there
    >is no such capability built in to the motherboard.
    >
    >The PC has PCI, PCI-E and USB 2.0 capabilities. Looking at various
    >websites it looks like PCI and USB are the options - but what are the
    >relative merits? Speed and reliability are paramount. Price seems
    >not an issue as the most expensive hardware I saw was under $80.
    >
    >TIA,

    The main things is USB 2.0 to me is very slow and Hogs your CPU as its
    totally CPU driven no DMA.

    But then again you are limited at your WiFi speed.

    Plus the USB ones are not designed for long range no real antenna.

    Try and run data to 2 USB 2.0 ports at the same time, very very slow.
    Frank Williams, Apr 5, 2013

  2. Frank Williams

    Freddy Fish Guest

    Freddy Fish, Apr 5, 2013

  3. On Sat, 6 Apr 2013 12:14:50 +1300, "geoff" <>
    wrote:

    >"Crash McBash" <> wrote in message
    >.
    >>
    >> I would have thought that a PCI card would be best as the data path is
    >> similar to ethernet whereas with USB the interface is shared with any
    >> other USB device.
    >>

    >Well you seem to be the only person I've heard expressing a concern. The
    >rest of us just get on and do it without problems. Do PCIe WiFi cards even
    >exist ? Strikes me as a major contraint having a 2.4GHz antenna up againt
    >the back of a PC....
    >

    >geoff

    Go have a look stacks of WiFi PCI cards around..
    Frank Williams, Apr 6, 2013
  4. Frank Williams

    Richard Guest

    On 6/04/2013 6:05 p.m., Frank Williams wrote:
    > On Sat, 6 Apr 2013 12:14:50 +1300, "geoff" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >> "Crash McBash" <> wrote in message
    >> .
    >>>
    >>> I would have thought that a PCI card would be best as the data path is
    >>> similar to ethernet whereas with USB the interface is shared with any
    >>> other USB device.
    >>>

    >> Well you seem to be the only person I've heard expressing a concern. The
    >> rest of us just get on and do it without problems. Do PCIe WiFi cards even
    >> exist ? Strikes me as a major contraint having a 2.4GHz antenna up againt
    >> the back of a PC....
    >>

    >> geoff
    >>

    > Go have a look stacks of WiFi PCI cards around..

    Yes, and unlike USB it requires more to raise the antennas up to where
    they will get a decent signal, some even have fixed antennas so you cant
    just use a RPSMA extension on them.
    Richard, Apr 6, 2013